Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear hatch dome light button
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

I have an '89 GL that my parents bought new. There is a button in the area next to the striker plate for the rear hatch that looks like a trigger for the dome lights. Since the car was new in the summer of 1989, it has never done anything. I looked at the wiring diagram and found that that button isn't pictured. Today I was poking around with a volt meter and found that the wire was connected to the dome light on the passenger rear but it was connected to the wrong terminal. On the ground side of the light there are 2 sets of terminals. One set is for the grounded all the time wires. The other set is for the grounded when the door opens wires. The wire from the hatch trigger was on the grounded all the time side so it did nothing. I moved the wire to the other terminal and now the button works like it should. Looks like it was installed wrongly in Hanover!

Now, If only I hadn't broken the light in half reinstalling it.

Anybody else have a similar button that does nothing?
H-four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why yes, I do. I always wondered about that. Thanks for the legwork. Mine has never worked either. But I never got around to investigating that much, because I first had gone around and fixed/replaced the switches on the other three doors, and gave up when I got to that one, mostly because the switch was good and the wires were attached.

Great job, great discovery.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered that that switch isn't depicted in the wiring diagram, too. I penciled it in on my copy. Luckily it's a simple circuit so there's not a lot to have to figure out; it works like any of the other door switches. But funny that it was connected wrong at the other dome light. I wonder how many were wired incorrectly that way.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

have the same switch
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but its not connected to anything and i dont find the terminal anywhere!
im desperate! hahahah
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

Check to see if there is a rogue wire in the engine bay behind the license plate. It’s been a while since I fixed mine, but I recall the connector broken and wire tangled up in there somewhere.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

FWIW, there is not a plunger switch on my 1990 2WD Vanagon Westfalia...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

dougass wrote:
Check to see if there is a rogue wire in the engine bay behind the license plate. It’s been a while since I fixed mine, but I recall the connector broken and wire tangled up in there somewhere.

what colour is it?

there are wires there that go to the rear plate ilumination.. nothing else, so strange
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
FWIW, there is not a plunger switch on my 1990 2WD Vanagon Westfalia...

id prefer that situation, having the switch but not finding the wire sucks haha
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

dougass wrote:

I tried this yesterday. You can not feel or see a wire for the dome thru the license plate.
Today I'll look in the engine bay for routing and get pics if I can.

Years ago I thought that I wanted to add this switch to my Westy and Allister provided great pics of it location.
Its hard to tell which way that wire routes left or right? Here is one of his pics.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
dougass wrote:

I tried this yesterday. You can not feel or see a wire for the dome thru the license plate.
Today I'll look in the engine bay for routing and get pics if I can.

Years ago I thought that I wanted to add this switch to my Westy and Allister provided great pics of it location.
Its hard to tell which way that wire routes left or right? Here is one of his pics.

its brown? I think I know which one it is hahah
Its the only one I found that was connected no where, without the terminal ... who knows how it ended that way, I'll try connecting it to the switch and crossfingers!

thanks for the pic!
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

I'm also trying to add a switch in this location. Can someone please take a picture of the bottom of the rear hatch on a van where this switch came standard? I imagine there's a bumper there that presses this switch that my van doesn't have, curious what it looks like. Here's what mine currently look like:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

Another of Allister's pics

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

Remember each factory dome light can be individually switched, and each has three positions: On—Off—On with open door. In our Carat there are four door “plunger” switches, including the liftgate. Troubleshooting an issue on this circuit can be difficult. In addition, the plastic dome light fixture can be brittle and easily broken upon removal or reinstallation. Fortunately, replacements are readily available.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Another of Allister's pics

Thank you! I was wondering if those 2 holes had anything to do with it!

I'm actually doing this because I want all 4 doors to trigger the door-open alerts on my security system [not so subtle plug for Van Tracker]. When I was in SF, someone tried to force the tailgate lock.

Fortunately it still works, but it looks like exactly what you'd expect if someone cranked a big screwdriver in that lock cylinder. I'm hoping it looking like that will deter future potential thieves from trying it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

Bumping my thread for zoning the interior lights & adding 3 position switches. For the hatch, I ended up isolating that zone completely and added a on-off-door switch to the D pillar.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676948&highlight=

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

Does anyone do the delayed off dome light for a mod anymore?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Dome-Light-Dimmer-Delay-Tim...&psc=1
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

I have the same tailgate switch and it doesn't work. Mice got to the wire and chewed it off near the button. With that fixed, still no light. Tracing the wire it heads left to another chew off, fixed by the PO. But, the PO wired it to the side marker light, which is wrong.

Behind the right tail light I found a 9" section of the same brown wire chewed off at both ends. I can't find the original "end". This wire appear to not be in any harnesses.

Does anyone know where the brown switch wire is routed. Again, mine goes from the switch, along the rear of the engine compartment, and ends by the right tail light.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

The brown wire goes to the light. Run a new one from the light to the button switch and it will work.
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch dome light button Reply with quote

Thanks Duncan S. Eventually I traced out the wire. It goes from the rear hatch, along the engine compartment back lip to the right tail light, up through the channel where the snorkel is, behind and just in front of the the right air intake louver, then into the interior dome light channel though a grommet. The grommet is on the same horizontal level as the dome lights. Finally, the wire connects to the right rear dome light.

If you don't have the rear hatch dome light switch, the factory wire route may be hard to replicate unless you headliner is out.

My van, which is an 87 syncro, has a spot for a 4th dome light over the passenger seat. There is a plastic block off plate in the hole. If you are rewiring your dome lights you can easily add one over the passenger seat. My wife would find it the most useful location.

Mice had also chewed off the wire between the air intake louver and the grommet. They chewed about 2/3 of the foam from the snorkel tube while they were at it.

It was very difficult to reach the wire stump that was left behind the louver and the wire did not want to pull through the grommet. I was able to solder new wire to the chewed stump and the switch works!

Honestly, it wasn't worth the amount of effort it took to fix. I don't need the dome lights to work via the tailgate. My wife said I only fixed it for the ego trip.

I hate mice. I really hate them. Besides clipping the dome light wire in 4 places, and chewing up the snorkel foam, I found they disconnected the snorkel at the bottom elbow. Also, they gnawed large access holes through the plastic panel that has part of the air intake.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: