Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anti-Theft Idea to protect our Precious metal!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Anti-Theft Idea to protect our Precious metal! Reply with quote

I always hate parking my car outside....It is not like I am worried about my disposable stereo, my passenger courtesy blanket, my minimalist in the car all the time tool kit, my collection of cheapie sunglasses...........you name it. In fact I have never lost a thing out of my thing..............but, I also have gotten in the backpack habit....take it with you and you will never lose it. I am always worried about my car, Rolf-The HUM VW, not being there when I take it out and about and have to leave him for awhile.

I came across this product and I am seriously considering it for my baby, especially with summer coming up. It is called DEWALT MOBILE LOCK-GPS LOCATOR WITH ANTI-THEFT ALARM. (http://www.dewalt.com/us/security/mobilelock/)

MOBILELOCK™Service Agreement Plan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monthly Service Fee $19.95/month. (and up depending on features you chose)
Available for use and sale in the US only.

Includes:
nationwide cellular service, no roaming fees.
unlimited alarm notifications
5 locates per month (roll-over)
customer service and tech support
Locate package (50 locates): $25.00
Activation fee: $ 20.00

30-day no risk guarantee, excludes locate packages

Month-to-month service agreement required
------------------------------------------------------------------

We started using this product at my company and I think it is so cool that I thought I would share it with The Samba Community. It seems like an easily adaptable portable device that we could use to protect our prescious metal. Cheaper and more effective than pager alarms, Cell activated, GPS and cell all over the country, silent or audible alarm, recieve notification by phone or email within 10 seconds and up to three people can be notified of the alarm. It also has motion detection and all kind of other cool features. You only use the locate when absolutely necessary and then you do not get charged.....
Since I pay for Classic Car Insurance and it is cheap as heck, I think I may go for this. It will also transfer over to my Westfalia for those camping trips when I leave my van and go on hikes and bikes.

Check out the website and pass it on to all the ACVW community.....great way to protect our precious metal, don't you think?

P.S. No I do not work for Dewalt...Just think it is totally cool and will bring our ACVW's up to the times! Passiton!

Peace....Jeffrey
carterzest Cool Very Happy Shocked Question Twisted Evil
csmith181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your money. Ask any insurance expert (not necessarily your agent) about what makes a car likely to be stolen. the answer boils down to saleability. Older Hondas top the list since there is a high demand for their body parts, especially front clips. Then come other expensive to repair cars, then comes "sports cars" like the corvette or Escalade (the corvette is fun to drive and the escalde is a status symbol to gang-bangers). At the very bottom of the list are unique cars like our Things. Let's face it, when a report of a stolen thing comes over the police radio, they will remember where they saw one last.

That's why the comprehensive coverage on a unique classic car is so much cheaper than your daily driver.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a chain through the steering wheel and around the brake peddle and take up the slack with a good lock. works!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwelz wrote:
put a chain through the steering wheel and around the brake peddle and take up the slack with a good lock. works!

I still have my Club from my '71 Super but was thinking it may not be useful with windshield being able to fold down. This is a simple and smart idea. Cool.
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an attack dog
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csmith181 wrote:
Don't waste your money. Ask any insurance expert (not necessarily your agent) about what makes a car likely to be stolen. the answer boils down to saleability. Older Hondas top the list since there is a high demand for their body parts, especially front clips. Then come other expensive to repair cars, then comes "sports cars" like the corvette or Escalade (the corvette is fun to drive and the escalde is a status symbol to gang-bangers). At the very bottom of the list are unique cars like our Things. Let's face it, when a report of a stolen thing comes over the police radio, they will remember where they saw one last.

That's why the comprehensive coverage on a unique classic car is so much cheaper than your daily driver.

Agreed, I seriously doubt that anyone will be stealing a Thing for "saleability". The guys at the local chop shop would probably keel over laughing if anyone ever showed up with a stolen Thing. I would think the primary concern is having some delinquent yoots taking it for a joy ride and then trashing it - or just vandalizing it in it's parking spot.

Personally, I like the James Bond anti-theft device where the entire car explodes into a mushroom cloud the second someone tries to force their way inside. Those guys in Q section are so clever!

"Did he say 'yoots'?"
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csmith181 wrote:

Have an attack dog, a club, and great insurance....My thinking on this though was not only for my Thing, but for my Westfalia when it is fully loaded with an entire bands' worth of equipment, an entire familys' worth of two weeks camping supplies etc......I do agree that someone would be foolish to steal such a rare car, but, it does happen....if it ever did, it sure would be nice to go to the computer and call the police with a GPS location....even if it were just Joy riding punks.
After a mobile generator got stolen from our company and I saw how quickly we were able to retrieve it.......WOW! Police apprehended the suspects in twenty minutes and also found lots of other stolen items. They applauded the technology and said they wish more companies used it as it made their job so easy....that is where I was coming from. Mine is on the way...so many different applications, I feel it will be well used.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: