Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

165-SR 15 tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaygyver wrote:
Just to throw this in... If your in the West of the US, "Les Schwab" has ordered 16,000 of the 165-15's back in May or June, expecting a rise in older cars getting back on the road for the gas crunch.
The set i got for the wife's '72 Super are "Nankane". They have a block type tread which i like for the NW's rain and sloppy snow we get. Not sure if they have other brands in that size. Surprised

Are those bias-plys from Les Schwab? Back in 1991, I got new bias-plys from Les Schwab for my 1964 Ghia. I think I paid $175 for 5 wheels, plus balancing. I prefer the ride of the bias-ply to radials.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
Jaygyver wrote:
Just to throw this in... If your in the West of the US, "Les Schwab" has ordered 16,000 of the 165-15's back in May or June, expecting a rise in older cars getting back on the road for the gas crunch.
The set i got for the wife's '72 Super are "Nankane". They have a block type tread which i like for the NW's rain and sloppy snow we get. Not sure if they have other brands in that size. Surprised

Are those bias-plys from Les Schwab? Back in 1991, I got new bias-plys from Les Schwab for my 1964 Ghia. I think I paid $175 for 5 wheels, plus balancing. I prefer the ride of the bias-ply to radials.

You would... Razz Rolling Eyes Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaygyver wrote:

I work at les schwab and i asked them if they had some but they said no....
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
cadave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Kuhmo 165 80 15's in at Tire Rack Reply with quote

I've had a set of 4 1658015's Kuhmo's on backorder with Tire Rack for 3 months. I got a call yesterday from Larry with Tire Rack and they are/were in and went out by UPS yesterday. $40 each plus shipping, less than $50 each delivered to me. Yey!

I've seen them 'in stock' all over for $60-$80 each PLUS shipping Don't know how many they may have left, these are hard to find at a great price!

Their website still shows them on backorder. Give Larry a call at 800-428-8355 ext 221 while they last. They are a great company to do business with!

Dave
1992 Ford Ranger PU
Jaygyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Jaygyver wrote:
The set i got for the wife's '72 Super are "Nankane". They have a block type tread which i like for the NW's rain and sloppy snow we get. Not sure if they have other brands in that size.

Quote:
Brett Ross wrote: I work at les schwab and i asked them if they had some but they said no....

I'll be darn, my kid works here in the Longview Wa. store, the one on Industrial Way, when we took the wife's '72 super in to get new tires he mentioned, I think some time in june, that they told him they were going? to order that amount. Maybe just the west side got them i guess. You might try getting hold of them and see about it?

Quote:
Icy wrote: Are those bias-plys from Les Schwab? Back in 1991, I got new bias-plys from Les Schwab for my 1964 Ghia. I think I paid $175 for 5 wheels, plus balancing. I prefer the ride of the bias-ply to radials.

knee-dragger777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Compare Kumho to Nexen? Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on the difference between these two brands? I am in the market, and since these seem to be the most predominate brands avialable, I wanted some feed back.

Also, My dad was telling me that he saw on some lowrider show that they are using the same 165/80-15 on lowriders, and that they are getting hard to find. FWIW.

I can say when I was running my 70 as a daily driver in the 80's that most of my tires would dry-rot before "wearing out" the tread. I currently put about 5K a year on my current "ride" so it is not a daily, but it has seen the wet. Sorry we don't get much snow in the "heart of Dixie".

Thanks
DredDon15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Tires-easy Reply with quote

Just ordered 2 Kumho 758's, 165x80x15, through Tires-easy.com.
They also had Nexxen and noted the quantity they had onhand for both.
FYI... http://www.tires-easy.com/
I've never used them before so we'll see how it goes.
Regards,
Don
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked Tire Rack, they show the Kumhos back in stock on 8/29, and only $40 a tire.
cadave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Kuhmo's at Tire Rack Reply with quote

That's exactly why I was so happy to get them from Tire Rack, only $40 each. Tires-easy took my order last June, but no tires! Same with onlinetires.com.

I thought about buying a bunch to re-sell later, but don't have the space.

You can always find them somewhere, but you may pay double. Happy mounting (tires)!
1992 Ford Ranger PU
DredDon15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know how (or if) it works with Tires-easy.
I called Tire Rack, which I normally use, two days ago and was told that if I got in line now I might have them by December, that Kumho is very slow in releasing that size.
Regards,
Don
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=499182

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmsmilin wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=499182

Those are low profile 45 series tires.

-jeffrey
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Coker has a cheap set (yes you read that correctly) Reply with quote

mike_the_engineer wrote:
Coker is selling 175/80/R15 BF Goodrich tires for $46 each. These should work just fine on a standard 15 x 4.5 inch stock rim. I just ordered a set this week to replace my old 165R15's.

http://store.coker.com/prod/17580r15-bfg-touring-ta-qr4-bw.html
I put those on my wife's Beetle, and they look and drive just fine, and she's satisfied with them. But I swear by Coker's B.F. Goodrich 165 narrow-whitewall radials. They're fantastic tires and the narrow whitewall gives a real kick-in-the-pants classic look to any stock Volkswagen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 for the Coker 165 BF Goodrich with the 1/2" whitewall. It gives it a classic look, specially on later model cars.

-jeffrey
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm rather new to the forum and am in need of new tires for my 1972 Super. I see that there are some issues getting the 165 sr15 tire. I read somewhere that if I put on 185/60/15 that it would lower the car about one inch. I want to lower the bug, but don't have the money so I was thinking about running smaller tires, killing two birds with one stone. My question is, would it look weird to run the 185/60/15 tire since it is two inches shorter than stock? Would there be a big space between the tire and fender? Any help would be great.

-Kevin
2002 Audi S6 Avant ~When you need groceries fast~
2002 Audi S6 Avant, Manual Swap ~When you need groceries fast, but want to have fun~
2005 Audi A4, 2.0t APR Stage 1 ~Cause I needed another car...~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the exact tires you buy, that size will be up to 1.7" smaller diameter, lowering the front of the car by that much. You'll also have .85" more gap above the tire.
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
Depending on the exact tires you buy, that size will be up to 1.7" smaller diameter, lowering the front of the car by that much. You'll also have .85" more gap above the tire.

Thanks for the help.

-Kevin
2002 Audi S6 Avant ~When you need groceries fast~
2002 Audi S6 Avant, Manual Swap ~When you need groceries fast, but want to have fun~
2005 Audi A4, 2.0t APR Stage 1 ~Cause I needed another car...~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nu2Dubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up in Canada we are also experiencing a problem locating tires. However some of our usual volkswagen suppliers seem to be able to get Nankang tires. I've talked to guys/girls up here who have put them on their bugs and no one has anything negative to say about them.
dhamby123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any more info on the tires guys i need a pair so bad but no one has them local around me my super is slammed in the front so im not sure if the kumho tires will fit i have the stock metric tires on her at the moment are the kumhos a taller tire or a shorter tire? what i have are the old sport metric tires what the guys at the tire shop call the vw tires haha no name crap
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhmos, are 165/80R15, same basic tire as what it sounds like you have now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: