Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

165-SR 15 tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

pbnj wrote:
I've seen mostly positive reports from folks on the Nexen tires, with a few being not too happy. Interestingly I was at the Auto show in Dallas last night and noticed that all the Mitsubishi vehicles were running Nexens.

Hi pbnj. I've seen that and I believe the Nexen tire is original equipment supplier to a few new car mfgr's.
I poked around on the internet last month and found that the Nexen SB802, which seems to be the better of the 165 tires available, is around $70-$80 per tire and has no warranty. Nexen offers tires in the 185/65 and 195/65 sizes for a little bit less money, has a mfgr warranty, 65k to75k wear out warranty, and a road side assistance plan. Kinda hard to sell a friend on the 165 tire wwhen one looks at this data! I do remember a well respected member here whose name I don't recall right now stating the tire warranties were a joke or hassle.
Bill.
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Amazon has the SB802 for $63 with free two day shipping. Not bad. Typically wouldn't buy tires from Amazon, but its a pretty good deal. Any 65 tire (175/65,185/65) is going to be a shorter tire than the 165/80. Because I have the extra capacity sump kit, the car sits pretty high, and a shorter tire my not look so good. Thanks
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Nexen is the best tire out there for a stock size. I get 45k + on my 2 bugs with them.
Nankangs = 7500 miles, 2 had slipped belts and the other 2 were half wore out. I'll walk rather than run Nankangs.
Here's the best deal on Nexens right now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-165-80R15-Inch-Nexen...2a6dc3edb5
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I decided to go with the 165 Nexen. Got them from Discount Tire for $66. Should have them on tonight or tomorrow. I'll take pic when they're installed
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

pbnj wrote:
I decided to go with the 165 Nexen. Got them from Discount Tire for $66. Should have them on tonight or tomorrow. I'll take pic when they're installed

Hi pbnj. Are you referring to a Discount Tire retail store or their online store, discounttiredirect.com? The website only lists the Nankang and Veento in that size. By the way, that is a good price for this tire. In SoCal I've been quoted approx. $80 each.
Bill
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

https://simpletire.com/nexen-165-80r15-11766-tires...hgodxMIGYQ

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I got new 195 65 15 Continentals on front and Firestones on rear (SB 79). Car seems very nicely stuck to the road now, but am getting a little rubbing at the front wing on tight bends with my tools in the front. This did not happen with my old Michelins on the front which were the same size in theory. There seems to be a lot of difference in the shape of the tyre between makes, and depending on the inflation. I like the Michelins but they are so expensive.
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Rockerarm, I am working with my local DT store. I told them I found them on Amazon, but apparently they had some in the local Dallas warehouse. Waiting for them to be delivered to my store today.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Ive been looken at the solar brand.nice tread with good wet/water sipeing.and local at walmart online with free shipping. Im thinken about new front wheels latrely...
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Ive been looken at the solar brand.nice tread with good wet/water sipeing.and local at walmart online with free shipping. Im thinken about new front wheels latrely...

If your talking about , the made in Taiwan, Sonar brand. I had a set on my Bug and they were very sensitive to sun cracks. It was only about a year or so of use and parking on the street that they cracked all over, even in the tread area down to the cords. Maybe they have changed the rubber composition by now since that was about 8-9 years ago......I went with Gremax tires ( 5 for $260 to the door) and am very happy with them so far.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Here's the Vert with its new Nexen SB802's (165/80/15 )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I just got BF Goodrich and Michelin tires in stock size 155/80 R15
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

vamran in Virginia posted this as a good price on another thread that subsequently got locked.
This tire dealer (Tire Crawler) is a schmuck. At those advertised prices the tires need to be shipped to an "authorized installer". If not, the price is elevated above what one can buy the tire for.

Nexen makes them too, good price for them here:
http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?produc...DQodRNgKXg

Last edited by rockerarm on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
aja8888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

1971 SB sedan. Just bought a few months ago as an old "1/2" restoration. Came with Michelin tires with date code "229". According to research, the tires were produced the 22nd week of 1999. There is lots of tread left, but lots of cracks between the treads. Time for these to go.

Nexen SB802 will probably be my choice (eBay).

Any other tire suggestions? This will not be a daily driver when I finish it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
vamran in Virginia posted this as a good price on another thread that subsequently got locked. This guy is a schmuck.

Confused say whaaaa??

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
rockerarm wrote:
vamran in Virginia posted this as a good price on another thread that subsequently got locked. This guy is a schmuck.

Confused say whaaaa??

Embarassed Maybe I could have worded it a lil differently. Tire Crawler is a schmuck. He baits you with the sweet price but throws in additional costs so his installer makes money and then its a $75 tire. It's not like there a wholesaler as during checkout the tax is factored in to the price. I offered to drive down there and pay cash for two sets but he wouldn't go for that.
I corrected that previous post. Embarassed
fak10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Just wondering, I found a tire company that makes white wall tires at a very reasonable cost. Vitour Tires, Galaxy R-1 White wall. Tire size is 165r15 86H The white wall is 3/4 inch. Price is 74.00 per tire.
Would that be a good size for my 66 which I am leaving mostly stock.

Here is a link to that site. https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/vitour-tires/galaxy-r1-whitewall/

They also have the 155r15 86H for about 10.00 less. I figured to stick with the 165. Anyone using these tires?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Yes, I have seen that add for those tires. My friend is eyeballing them for his '74 Ghia (165 size) as the whitewall looks nice on the later cars. I think I like the HR rating as I believe this could be a stouter tire than some others. I also like the availability of other sizes. Their web site address looks to be out of South Africa.
Bill
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

We have Type 3 rear drums on the Ghia, so the 155R15 would be perfect, and the price is great. Any reviews?
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

My stock size Nankang's have worn out in two weeks on the inner edge. Not the tyres fault I think but my camber is out. The spec for them says they are good (we get a kind of chart with the details here in France), but not sure now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: