Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 475, 476, 477 ... 533, 534, 535  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
Condition: "good"

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/67-vw-squareback-type-3/6498977836.html

I hope there's an extra digit in the price by accident...

He needs to drop it about $5K if it must include the cat.
Tangerine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

Has anyone come up with a replacement for the interior rear-view mirror? I have a '68 Squareback and the only one I've seen for it is about $175, for a used item. As much as I'd like an original mirror, that's just a little steep for me.
Has anyone tried something like popping off the mirror assembly at the ball joint and putting another assembly on? Needless to say, I'd be willing to overlook it not being quite 'original', I'd just like a interior mirror.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

do you have nothing at all? Or do you at least have the base?
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

Tangerine wrote:
Has anyone come up with a replacement for the interior rear-view mirror? I have a '68 Squareback and the only one I've seen for it is about $175, for a used item. As much as I'd like an original mirror, that's just a little steep for me.
Has anyone tried something like popping off the mirror assembly at the ball joint and putting another assembly on? Needless to say, I'd be willing to overlook it not being quite 'original', I'd just like a interior mirror.

You'll need at least a Type 3 base/stem, as the Beetle mounting is different.
A friend of mine put a late Beetle mirror on his Type 3 stem; he made it sound as if it were a straightforward swap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tangerine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

I have the old mirror but the plastic part that holds the mirror has deteriorated. It just crumbles at the touch. Can that be popped off the ball and a new mirror assembly popped on? Sounds straight forward, but most things that do, aren't, and in my experience turn out to be real PITAs. Just don't want to something wrong and kill any chance of getting a usable result.
Thanks.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

the difference is the "stem" - it's longer on a squareback. Yes, I would grab one of Joel's fastback mirrors and pop it on so you have a usable mirror

like this one he has, but he has a bunch. It may be a little smaller, not as wide, not sure but it will work

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2148362
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
the difference is the "stem" - it's longer on a squareback.

I never knew that, and I had a matching pair of '71s for years (FB and SB). I really can't see any need for a longer stem on a squareback. Are you sure it's not a year-to-year thing?
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

If you still have your stem, just buy a new late model Beetle mirror and pop it on your stem. It's a little off center, but that's the only difference.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

All the squareback are longer & have the rubber bumper. My '69 square long plastic stem also has rubber bumper.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
If you still have your stem, just buy a new late model Beetle mirror and pop it on your stem. It's a little off center, but that's the only difference.

How hard/easy is this to do? Any tips?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

I don't know what's inside the ball socket area. A spring to take up slack and hold tension? A flexible bushing? Or is it just the plastic of the mirror housing?

It may be as simple as laying the housing flat with the mirror face down(to spread the load), and shoving the ball end of the stem into it.

I think I'd use some silicon or Teflon spray, just a drop or two, to make it slide in without too much friction. Too much may make it flop, again depending on what's inside.

Never tried it, though, so I'm blowing smoke here...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:

eeeeeeww - bug parts.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Erik G wrote:

I never knew that, and I had a matching pair of '71s for years (FB and SB). I really can't see any need for a longer stem on a squareback. Are you sure it's not a year-to-year thing?

It's not year to year - they've always been longer and had a rubber buffer for the windshield. The longer stem is to allow for proper view out of the rear hatch window which is further away and slightly lower than the other two models.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Erik G wrote:

It's not year to year - they've always been longer and had a rubber buffer for the windshield. The longer stem is to allow for proper view out of the rear hatch window which is further away and slightly lower than the other two models.

Weird, my '71 SB lacked that! Must have been broken off at some point and replaced before I got it. I've seen the bumper on the chrome stems, not the plastic-coated later ones. Photos would be cool!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Weird, my '71 SB lacked that! Must have been broken off at some point and replaced before I got it. I've seen the bumper on the chrome stems, not the plastic-coated later ones. Photos would be cool!

Ask and sho 'nuff Joel has it Very Happy

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

Wow, I never saw that. My '71 square had the "regular" mirror. I know it didn't have that rubber peg because I mounted some shade film behind the mirror at the top of the windshield (between the visors) to avoid sun glare in the morning drive. The peg would have been in the way.

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Wow, I never saw that. My '71 square had the "regular" mirror. I know it didn't have that rubber peg because I mounted some shade film behind the mirror at the top of the windshield (between the visors) to avoid sub glare in the morning drive. The peg would have been in the way.

The 70 Square sitting in my backyard doesn't have that extra leg and rubber tip on it either. I think my 69 Square was the same way. I'd have to check the gallery photos to be sure.
Are you sure that "legged" version wasn't a 68 only type of thing?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

My 71 Square doesn't have the leg behind it either.
sparkywig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

Nor does my '67.

EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Type 3 cars and parts for sale Reply with quote

sparkywig wrote:
Nor does my '67.

cus that is the incorrect one- looks to be from a notch/fastback. 67 had chrome stem with black plastic mirror I think
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 475, 476, 477 ... 533, 534, 535  Next
Jump to:
Page 476 of 535

Jump to: