Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weitec Sportfahrwerk springs and Bilstein HDs install
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSR53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Weitec Sportfahrwerk springs and Bilstein HDs install Reply with quote

Last weekend I installed Weitec springs with Bilstein HDs shocks. My tire and wheel set up is a little different than most, but gives you an idea of the limits that can be had.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wheels are Porsche Boxster and or 996 rims. I bought them used for $600 found on forums.pelicanparts.com.

Front 17x7" ET50. Tires Nokian WR 215/55-17 98XL, H&R 25mm adapters.
Rears 17x8.5" ET55. Tires Nokian WR 225/50-17 98XL, H&R 22mm adapters.

Ok here are my pre and post install Weitec height measurements.

Stock ride height
Measured from ground to underside of fender lip, 1/3 tank of petrol.

Front passenger side 29"
Front drivers side 28.25"

Rear passenger side 29"
Rear drivers side 28.125"

Weitec Sportfahrwerk springs
Measured from ground to underside of fender lip, full tank of petrol.
Front passenger side 26.125"
Front drivers side 25.5"

Rear passenger side 27.25"
Rear drivers side 26.625"

Measured from center of wheel to underside of fender lip, full tank of petrol, as suggested by PDXWesty (I was wiggling, had to take leak, so these aren't 'puurfect').
Front passenger side 14"
Front drivers side 13.5"

Rear passenger side 15"
Rear drivers side 14.325"

So, I've still got an "issue" with regards to ride height. Most notably the drivers front side is lower than the passenger side front by .0.625"??? The Westy lean is still haunting me, Grrrr. With this my SA front mud flap sometimes touches down on rallye style bumps Smile. Not really sure how to proceed on this. I guess I'll get it aligned, and then try equaling the ride height the best I can with spacers, and then get a re-alignment.

Install notes
To install the Weitec springs you will need to remove your front shocks and unbolt the top a-arm ball joint with the two allen bolts. I purchased the Weitec springs from Van-cafe. It was suggested that you don't need to shorten the bump stops but the H&R springs are also a 45mm drop and you NEED to shorten the bump stops with these, so I'm not so sure what's up with this. I went ahead and cut my bumps stops down by 2 rings. Basically, you cut off the dust cover and 2 rings, leaving one ring and the top rubber bump stop. It all went back together very well.

Boing, boing, boing - Weitec Sportfahrwerk spring num-num

There is a good write up on the springs here >> http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/mods/lowering/lowering.htm

I used a spring compressor on all four springs, just made it much more comfortable for me doing the job solo in my garage. I also removed the rear tires to help. The springs were so much more accessible with the tires off. I started at 8:30am and finished up at 2:30. Wasn't a real big pain-in-the-arse, but required motivation to finish.

Driving notes
I've had Bilstein HD shocks installed for the last 6k miles with stock alloys and Conti Vanco 185/70-14s. The Bilstein HDs alone was a huge improvement. Then I upgraded to the Porsche alloys and really nice Nokian WR Finnish made tires. This made for a more comfortable ride, but with loads of suspension travel. Side note: IMO, the D load range on the Conti's was just too severe and you felt it in the charssis and your arssy Smile, even at lowered tire psi.

With the Weitec's, Bilstein HDs and the 17' 98XL load range Nokian WR tires the ride is much more controlled now. The front of the Westfalia is a lot lower and you immediately notice this when opening the door. Mucho easier to get in and out of. Typical Vanagon nose dive and bounce under braking is drastically reduced. When you get on the binders, the front springs are already somewhat compressed from being lowered and this adds to the better stopping feel because the suspension doesn't have to compress and then brake. Bumps and pavement transitions need to be handled with this in mind. You will feel larger bumps and transitions because it is lower, but it still drives very smoothly over all bumps. Very nice. Another plus is taking off from a stop, when you let off the brakes the front doesn't skyrocket up either. Handling around corners is actually fun now rather than nail biting*. Driving with a head wind prior to lowering used to make me nuts. All kinds of wind would go UNDER the Westfalia and create all kinds of disturbances - upsetting and buffeting you around. Now, with the front raked down you can actually drive in a head or side wind without the buffeting feel as before and as a plus you can see more out the rear view mirror!

Set up as a sport suspension with proper tuned sport shocks, the overall handling is now far better suited for emergency braking, steering and driving around corners because of tighter spring rates and lower center of gravity. It just feels safer to drive.

*Note: I removed my Gary Lee basket roof rack to service my Westfalia in my garage and this might have something to do with the "nail biting" feel and lean while turning in corners. I'll re-install the roof rack and post notes afterwards.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The van looks really good! It really is amazing what good suspension and good tires will do for the character of a vehicle. People really seem to like the Weitec springs. I might just have to try out a set some day.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
TSR53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: H&R spacer soap opera Reply with quote

Thanks loogy! Yaa, the van now rides as well as it looks. PM sent to yaa.

1. Last weekend I solved the problem of the Westfalia lean when sitting still and driving by jiggetty-jig-jig sawin' up an old plastic cutting board. Dropped in two spacers on the front and rear, now sits level, AND goes down the road waaay better, whew.

** UPDATE **

2. Just today, I started with my Van-Cafe big brake kit swap. Ran into a little snag with the H&R adaptors not fitting over the hubs Confused ooOOoo krickey! And double ooOOoo krickey, my stock 14" wheels w/Conti Vancos won't fit over the big brake kit!! stuck on the lift fursur.

(on the good side, the new Van-Cafe big brake kit is a lot bigger and looks to be a nice upgrade).

INSTALL NOTE
The supplied hubs (which I think are SA ones) have a taper to them and start at around 60.1mm then get larger towards the center where the rotor sits flush against. Stock front brakes, the hub is 60.1mm all the way to the center. Sooooo, the H&R front adaptors need to be shipped out to our machine shop to get opened up to fit.

See photos.

You can see the taper here with the Van-Cafe hub.

The new Van-Cafe big brake kit hub with rotor and H&R 25mm adaptor for Porsche wheels only goes this far on. Needs machining open.

Impressive big-brake kit! Looks like da kine, now all I need is to get the H&R adaptors and my Porsche wheels back on. Stay tuned for more!
TSR53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loogy, Just wondering if this should be noted in the "The Ultimate What Wheels Fit" thread?
TSR53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the H&R front 25mm adaptors back from machining open to fit the SA tapered hubs. Fit perfect. There is a load of clearance between the rim, the big brake kit and upper a-arm and suspension components.

Pads still need bedding in but feel really good. I just had time to bleed the front calipers and will get after the rears this week. Good pedal pressure and stops with authority and confidence.

Stock brakes, H&R 25mm adaptors before shot.

Mmmm SA big brakes and Porsche rim num-num

No clearance issues

TSR53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my upgrades...

I just fit the following rim for my spare set-up. I run H&R adaptors that change the Vanagon bolt pattern from 5x112mm to 5x130mm for Porsche rims. The later model Porsches (1987 on) 911, 944 rim ET is typically ET50 to ET55 or around there. The 15mm and or 25mm H&R adaptors fit on the stock Vanagon and then you bolt on the Porsche rims. Only problem is that you will need a Porsche spare rim and proper load range tire set-up.

Here's what I did.

I bought a late offset Porsche 911/944/944S space saver steel rim. Tossed the 20+ year old cracked Vredstein collapsable spare tire and fitted new Nokian WRG2 tire. Purchased rim used from Michael at Autosport Northeast (formerly Foreign Intrigue) http://www.autosportnortheast.com/page/?p=27&sp=24

Here is my set-up (I'll include everything so you can see the details)

Spare tire
- Porsche 5.5 J x 15, ET53 steel spare rim
- Nokian WRG2 205/65-15XL load range 99H tires (this tire size ALSO fits in the spare tire holder space, no mods).

Front
- Van-Cafe SA Big Brakes
- Porsche Boxster 7x17 ET55 rims
- Nokian WR 215/55-17 XL 98H tires
- H&R 25mm, 5x112mm to 5x130 Porsche adapters (see loogy)
- Weitec springs

Rear
- Porsche Boxster 8.5x17 ET50 rims
- Nokian WR 225/50-17 XL 98H tires
- H&R 15mm, 5x112mm to 5x130 Porsche adapter on pass. side, H&R 22mm on drivers side (see loogy)
- Weitec springs

note: with the rear 15mm pass. side H&R adapter, the slider door doesn't hit. For some reason I had to keep the 22mm on the drives side and the 15mm on pass. side which the rims are measured and centered on the vehicle. Monday build?

FYI, these new Nokian WRG2's might be the hot ticket for proper load range and replacement for the Continental Vanco 2s, and similar Michelin's. They come in a nice flavor of 15 and 16 sizes too. All season rated, asymmetrical inside-outside tread pattern. They are NOT pure winter tires and run great in the summer. Very, very trick tires. I've got the older style WRs on the Westfalia and for the last four years have run them on my //S6. Now with this new asymmetrical G2 tread, the spare can fit on ANY corner, any direction, schweet. Purchased from Vermont Tire, Williston Road (802) 658-1333.

WRG2 sizes, sizes
http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_wrg2.aspx?season=summer

Severe Service Emblem UTQG Ratings: 400/A/A

The Porsche steel spare rim even fits (with the H&R adapters) over the Van-Cafe SA big brake kit too - yaaahhwhoooo !

In summary, with the H&R adapters, proper load rated tires and steel lug nuts (see loogy) you could just run four steel Porsche spare rims and not have to purchase more expensive Porsche alloys and 17 or 18 tires.

Thanks go to loogy for helping me dial this all in.

Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same springs on my 2wd westy because I wanted the van to handle better at higher speeds after the inline 4 conversion. It worked out perfect it turns better stops better and feels very solid at highway speeds.
The price you pay is when you run in to a large pot hole it feels a bit harsh and you lose some ground clearance but I just use it in camp grounds any way. It handled so well at watkins glen that I was able to pass turbo charged ztecs on the race track but they sure would catch up on the straight aways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
I have the same springs on my 2wd westy because I wanted the van to handle better at higher speeds after the inline 4 conversion. It worked out perfect it turns better stops better and feels very solid at highway speeds.
The price you pay is when you run in to a large pot hole it feels a bit harsh and you lose some ground clearance but I just use it in camp grounds any way. It handled so well at watkins glen that I was able to pass turbo charged ztecs on the race track but they sure would catch up on the straight aways.

Alaric...
What shocks are you running with these springs?
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a place I can read what spring kit drops by how much ? (approximate)

at the brickyard the H&R "Green" are listed as 55mm and then they have a "cup kit" listed as also being 55mm but "could be lower on heavy vans" ?

I don't mean to derail by asking about H&R's...but that's what I have... (not installed yet) and I'm pretty shure mine are purple. I am running carat springs and konis now.

also, your mentioning your "stock" ride height, but what stock springs ?
"normal" stock or "carat" stock springs ?

your setup looks great, your work has paid off really well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Alaric.H wrote:
The price you pay is when you run in to a large pot hole it feels a bit harsh and you lose some ground clearance but I just use it in camp grounds any way. It handled so well at Watkins glen that I was able to pass turbo charged ztecs on the race track but they sure would catch up on the straight aways.

Alaric...
What shocks are you running with these springs?
I am not sure but they are green as well and made in Germany Van Cafe used to sell them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: