Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I open my Coffee can?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think this is the greatest solution in the world.

1 Those filters are designed to seal on the ends of the orange rings, not the sides. I wouldn't feel confident that you are getting a 100% effective seal the way this will be installed especially with a dented up can as yours appears to be.

2 The diameter of the filter is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the can. The only spot where air will flow directly into the carb is right over the carb. Any other airflow will have to flow through the very narrow area between the outside of the filter pleats and the can. Most of the air will go through that one spot of the filter right above the carb since it is the path of least resistance and that is only a few square inches. That area will become dirty very quickly and more and more air will have to flow from the rest of the filter through the very tight space. This setup will become very restrictive very quickly.

3 It requires you to modify the can by removing the baffle. These filters are extremely expensive and will only continue to go up in price. Cutting out the baffle will lower the value and make it necessary to start checking them for this mod. However if enough people perform this mod it will probably create another replacement part that can be made by Virtanen, Wolf or Gerson.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
roymartian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have some good points, loathed to butcher an original T air cleaner - going to order a sock! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about removing the baffle. I believe that it is there in case of a backfire from the carb. It is meant to diffuse the flame and prevent it from burning a hole in the sock. Take it out and the same thing could happen to the paper element.

roymartian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree - not sure my re-engineering is better than Dr Porsche, will stick with a sock Idea
Brezelfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: modern filter element for VW MANN T or coffee can airfilter Reply with quote

originalo wrote:
Yes, there is a perfectly fitting modern filter element available. It is a cylindric element that can easily be inserted in the MANN T airfilter when one side cover has been clipped off.

Supplier: MAHLE/KNECHT, their Reference is: LX 646/1 micro-star

This part can also be ordered at NISSAN dealers, part # 1654600QAG
or at RENAULT dealerships part # 7701039857 or alternatively 7701043709.

Both sides of this filter element come with a signalorange rubber surround. That portion should be painted/tinted black before installment in the historic VW T-aircleaner.

Cost of this filter element is quite reasonable, around USD/€ 10.00.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This afternoon I made my way through to open the caps. It works very well, when you take your time. The above mentioned paper filter seems to be not long enough. I can make it pass the obstruction plate, but even then there is air that can pass through without passing the filter... Can someone shed a light on this please? Thanks!! Peter
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I open my Coffee can? Reply with quote

This mod won't work well if at all.

Here is a test of how well it would work.

Take a piece of white bedsheet and clamp it over the end of a shop vac hose. Now duct tape this over the carb side of the coffee can filter. When you turn it on it will suck air through the filter then through the bedsheet. Anything that makes its way through the filter will get caught on the bedsheet.

Now take a couple of tablespoons of blue chalk dust like you use in a chalk line and throw it into the inlet on the filter.

You will be able to see how much made it through by looking at the bedsheet and after taking out the element you will be able where on the filter the chalk was sucked through.

I think you will find a lot of chalk on the bedsheet because the element won't seal correctly to the housing and that any chalk that was stopped by the filter would be in a very small area.

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do I open my Coffee can? Reply with quote

So now we all have our socks on again?

Still no real modern solution?
The air cleaner says to "wash it" each 10k km, do you guys do that? And if so, what is the best way to clean that sock then?
Mine is all greasy and black Crying or Very sad , but I prefer White Sox Razz (and the Cubs as well Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
usariemen wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
I think it is reasonable to ask to see how this thing is supposed to work.

Of course it is.

I donīt know if it is open on both ends. But even if.
Letīs assume the two rubber rings sit tight in the metal tube.
Then just filtered air would reach the inlet.
Maybe the baffle that sits inside over the exit has to be removed first to make way for the filter element.

The filter would have to completely seal off both ends of the can in order to work. If it doesn't, unfiltered air will enter the engine.

It would have to seal off these small round holes completely with no leaks.

It would have to be big enough to just fit inside the can to do this. There is also a baffle inside where the fitting comes out to mount to the carb. This baffle will prevent a filter the same size as the can to fit inside.
Even with the baffle removed, assuning the element is the same ID as the can, there will be only a very small spot of the filter that is used and that would be right over the hole to the carb.

Until I see one of these installed I think it is very likely that it doesn't actually seal properly inside so it will allow unfiltered air straight into the engine.

Well, Chris, you should have a look at mine; when Jason re-habilitated mine, he used a modern filtration fabric which is ordinarily fitted within aquarium filters. He mentioned buying it in bulk.
I don't have photos of the procedure; or specifics on exact product etc. but maybe can discuss at Kelley Park if we see each other there. Better than as installed at Wolfsburg. Smile You may have seen the outside on FB (+ some before shots posted briefly for reference showing how roached-out it started as).

Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: