Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

yandina wiring question?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redtail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: yandina wiring question? Reply with quote

I know the dual battery thing has been covered to death, but I've searched through all the old threads and only came up with diagrams for a standard relay, not the combiner.

Anyway, the PO wired up an aux battery but it's not done very well. The + of both batteries go to the starter terminal, and the power lead from the alternator also goes to the starter lug. So how should I wire these guys up? Anyone have a diagram or some suggestions, I'm pretty poor with electronics.
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Combiner 100 but the best answer to your question is here, at the Yandina - Manuals page
http://www.yandina.com/manuals.htm
The important thing to note is the Yandina Conbiner is meant as a relay to combine 2 batteries that are on separate circuits together when either is being charged and separate them when they are not.
From the sound of your setup, both batteries are on the same circuit (since both positive terminal come together at the starter terminal)
How the Combiner works is when it senses either of the batteries is at 13.3v, the relay kicks in and combines the batteries so both get charged and then separated the two when charging is not present
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The + of both batteries go to the starter terminal

That doesn't sound right... Shouldn't just the main battery (under the passenger seat) be wired to the starter? And then the aux. battery be connected through the relay to the main battery?

Take a look at msinabottle's posts on the Yandina here... Winston Gets Wired. I followed all of his instructions when I wired mine in.

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redtail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was right both batteries are wired to the starter.

So does the battery actually charge through the yandina? Could I wire it like this:

Main Battery + to alternator and starter.

yandina 1 red wire to main +, 1 red to aux +

aux + to raido / lights / whatnot?

Thanks for the help guys.
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right. Most folks run all of their interior accessory stuff off of the aux. battery, and just have the main for starting power. The Yandina does a great job of maintaining both batteries as needed. I also have an aux. battery charger wired into the 110 volt inlet from the outside of the van. Works great!

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple at best.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only link between your aux battery and original charging system is the yandina.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246921
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redtail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, Thanks for the help guys, I got it figured now. I don't know why the PO wired the second battery like that. Probably some idiotic fix for a flat starter battery. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: