Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 278, 279, 280 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Disassmbled my chassis and removed the passenger side pan half. Whoever installed the replacement pan half, did a continuous weld bead for about 6-8 inches along the tunnel toward the rear. That was a b*tch to deal with!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I went to adjust my clutch this past weekend because 1st and 2nd were a little grunchy.

Coincidentally, I haven't been able to find one of my needle nose vice-grips for months.

So, when I jacked up the car, removed the wheel, and shined a light in there, guess what I saw clamped to the clutch cable. Yep, the vice-grips.

Anyway, I turned the wing nut one full turn - any more was too much. I drove the car around the block and got no grunching but I won't know for sure until I take a longer drive next weekend.

And this time I removed the vice-grips.
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

With the nice weather today, 45 degrees and 3-5 inches of snow coming over night through noon tomorrow, I got my engine-body seal in. I didn't take the engine out, and installing the new seal was not bad at all. I straightened out the track and used spray silicone and it slid right in. I did have to cut the seal on the right side just forward of the curve, but there is no problem with the splice. No more looking at the ground around the breastplate.

trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today I installed new NGKs and plug wires. Wilma fired right up on the second crank after her winter rest. Took her down the road for a short drive. Glad the snow is gone and the temps are warm enough to drive a little.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cut out the front firewall.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally got my rebuilt engine back into the 67, now I get to finish installing it's bits and teach my daughter to drive the Vw, which my girls named Opal. She is really excited to drive the car.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beeniebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I'm a couple weeks late posting here, but I'll try to catch up. Since buying this '67 I have:

Replaced master cylinder, along with the fluid reservoir and all the soft hoses connecting the two. (It already had new shoes, wheel cylinders, and drums.
All 4 soft brakes lines.
Rebuilt the carb.
Checked/cleaned the plugs, points, and re-timed ignition.
New front turn-signal lenses and seals.
New window felts, scrapers, and vent-wing seals.
Right-side mirror.
Wiper blades,
Windshield-washer squirter and seal
Fuse-panel cover.
Straightened out light wiring, so all lights, signals, work.
New running boards.
New rubber seals at door-limit straps, interior-light switches, door handles.
Interior panels on doors and rear quarters.
Shift-rod bushing.
Fresh-air hoses on engine.
Oil change.
Grease front beam.
New steering damper, and ends on right tie-rod.
Painted inside of both bumpers, mounting brackets, and backup light brackets.
New seal under gas tank.
Pretty sure SHE won't ever be able to track how much I'm gonna spend on her car. So far, I've only done the cheap stuff. Gotta lower that front end (drop spindles) and do something about that engine.
I'm tired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Been making and installing hard brake lines today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sarge11B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got my chassis out of the shop!
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed (2) eight foot 4-bulb LED light fixtures in my garage tonight. WOW!!! Let there be light!!! I've got another 4 foot 2-bulb fixture, but don't really need it. Maybe I'll put it in the laundry room.

Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I just love that Flower Power Bug Hippy Tom Very Happy ultra cool
I have just fitted a new rear bumper to my 66, I know it’s a 67 one, and I have the OG ‘towel rails’ that are for a 66, but I like the 67 ones, will run with them for a while, and see the reaction.
I also have 2 OG Hella Foglights, so I’ve bolted them on as well to see how they look.

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Weather's warming up... Put on the Thermador.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Removed some stuff. Installed some stuff.

keary_lewis0303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Prepped the 67 for primer and dropped it off at the shop.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Gave the Beetle its spring wash, tuneup and brake adjustment while wearing shorts and sandals in 75 degree sun. The next day it was 40, rainy and windy. Sad

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finished installing the bumpers, deck lid and vintage plate on my Oct 58 euro sunroof. I am hoping to be ready to drive by June 1st!

Bruce Ebling
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I did something I thought I'd never do, but since I have three ragtop roof racks- I thought I'd see what one of them looked like in powder coat. The next step is bending the hooks around the bottom bar for the clamps. Intentional scratching and intentional beer required.

I also had to park near my bus in a way that obscures the horrendous rust on it. I like the look of as much original dove blue it has.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
johnr156
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Started working on the interior. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well, my daughter and I worked on the 67 a little yesterday, and we got her to fire up and run for a few seconds. Seams I can't get fuel to the carb from the pump via a fuel can with a hose in it sitting on the ground. Not sure if the pump is good, but it was working on the other car. So now next weekend I'm going to finish all the brake hoses, and master cylinder, and run new fuel lines. Then I guess we'll see if she runs normal.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

johnr156 wrote:
Started working on the interior. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

....could be a train !!! lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 278, 279, 280 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 279 of 317

Jump to: