Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 272, 273, 274 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Last weekend I began a hard start relay installation, ran into another problem, and completed the install yesterday.

Replaced my wipers today. Got 'em at my flaps.

Also replaced the rubber gaskets under my front and rear lids. The front is fine, although the lid needs adjustment because some of the rubber sticks out, and I can now see some unevenness in the gaps. The rear lid won't latch now because the new rubber holds the bottom of the lid out too far.

I'll do those adjustments tomorrow.

Next weekend, hopefully I'll get to the turn signal, tail light, and license plate light rubber.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Adjusted the front and rear lids. The front is nice and even now. The rear edge comes right up to the steel piece that holds the rubber in place.

The engine lid handle wouldn't latch because it wouldn't turn all the way open for some reason. It's fine now.

Replaced the license plate light rubber. A bit of a PITA, as the piece is just a little too small. After much fiddling, it is still not perfectly even all around, as one edge looks like it wants to crawl under the nose.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Started the tough process of deciding whether I want to sell it or not....
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
catfish 44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Swapped out the coil when the car died at a traffic light.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Actually, a few weeks back, Wink but I installed a set of Nos 60's aftermarket exhaust tips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled the motor on my '67 bug. Non original '68 motor that is unbelievably caked with oil/dirt. 1/4" thick in places. This thing must have just been puking oil out of somewhere...oil cooler?? I lived it's life in the desert so the fine silt and oil did a number on everything! I've never seen one this bad.

Car is straight and rust free(thanks desert!), so for now I'll just clean it up and reseal everything and put new tar boards, engine compartment seals, and all the rubber bits. Drive it for a while. Still a long way to go though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50514559@N05/albums/72157664450079650

Last edited by swharris on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I hit it...Multiple times...with a large hammer...in anger...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Laguna1116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Pulled the motor on my '67 bug. Non original '68 motor that is unbelievably caked with oil/dirt. 1/4" thick in places. This thing must have just been puking oil out of somewhere...oil cooler?? I lived it's life in the desert so the fine silt and oil did a number on everything! I've never seen one this bad.

Car is straight and rust free(thanks desert!), so for now I'll just clean it up and reseal everything and put new tar boards, engine compartment seals, and all the rubber bits. Drive it for a while. Still a long way to go though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50514559@N05/albums/72157664450079650

What is that snorkel on the top of the air filter?
I have a hole like that in the top of the air filter on my 68 and thought that the PO had put the hole in there for some reason.
Where does the hose connect?
1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Work in Progress
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Hi. Laguna, that "snorkel" was part of the Calif's NOX EGR retrofit device that was required on later '60's cars pursuant to initial registration. I believe it had to be installed for parts and labor- $35. The manufacturer was STP.
The long term damage to the outside components was a drilling into the pre-heat tube of the intake manifold and the air cleaner hole that you see. There was a plate mounted under the carb. I believe it was for '68 thru '70.
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today I got my new windshield in, no more scratches to look through, and polished the rust off the rear view mirror with Al and lemon juice. I took Wilma out for a drive to town and back to check out my savemybug dip stick. Ten mile trip at 87 degrees air temp and there was a 1/4" to go before it would have signaled 225 degrees oil temp. The 2-55 AC worked pretty well.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

trektider60 wrote:
The 2-55 AC worked pretty well.

You need to step up your game. My 2-80 AC runs much cooler Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

When I got home from work today, a big box was on my doorstep. Inside are my interior parts - carpeting, door cards, and other assorted goodies.

You know what I'll be doing this weekend. Smile
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Drove it! Last registered in 77. I bought it in 86 and put it away as a retirement project. Been working on it for the past few years. Now its on the road again and its fun Smile

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

That's^ a beauty!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
That's^ a beauty!

I agree. Gorgeous vert.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

far riders convertible
[/quote]

I agree, that is a beautiful Convertible right there, Nice job breathing some air back into that one. Love the color.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Hey Thanks for the compliments. They are appreciated. Will admit that the paint looks better in the pic Very Happy
Already racking up the miles hitting some beautiful Vermont backroads.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Picked up new wheels, after battling leaking rivets I have them ready to go when the new lug nuts show
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally got all the pieces for the rear seat lobster claw seat belts for the 67. Very happy with them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 272, 273, 274 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 273 of 317

Jump to: