Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Debating on doing valve adjustment and new points at work today, but it’s like 55* and I’m freezing my ass off. Have zero desire to be on my back under my car while being cold. Confused

And that's why I did my oil change and adjustments this weekend while the weather was still in the 70's. Wink
Thread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Drove it for the first time in 10 years after finally getting the clutch cable tube repaired and the wiring completely replaced. Gave it a bath and drove it some more.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nevermind the oil spot, one of the valve cover gaskets rolled and it leaked. It's since been fixed and the oil hosed off.

scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Debating on doing valve adjustment and new points at work today, but it’s like 55* and I’m freezing my ass off. Have zero desire to be on my back under my car while being cold. Confused

55? Cold? haha

Seriously, a piece of carpet remnant does wonders for preventing concrete-to-back cold seepage.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally assembled my 58/59 visor assembly. Looks great and can’t wait to install it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

We had our first measurable snowfall for the season last night- just in time for a white Christmas! I did what any ragtop owner does- went for a 6 mile spin

I do always take one of them out at the first snow and it's the only one without custom wheels or see-through rockers!
(And it was parked behind my tractor in my barn- and I had a half mile of road to clear) Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Worked on the wheelhouse... I'm getting there!

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67 love ya man ,,,,, more heat or less wire speed,, pm me if i can help ,, smiles for miles ,,,, fabricator john
edselflop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced link pins ..... looks like they were due!!!!
Made a great reason to get a 20-ton press from Harbor Freight for Christmas!!

1964 VW Bug
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

edselflop wrote:
Replaced link pins ..... looks like they were due!!!!
Made a great reason to get a 20-ton press from Harbor Freight for Christmas!!

I did the same thing last year with a 12 ton press from H.F. Changed the king & link pins. The difference is amazing. Especially on the highway. I'm driving 70 m.p.h. just barely touching the steering wheel. No more wandering.(the car at least)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edselflop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I set out to get the 12 ton HF press, then noticed the 20 ton was only $50 more .... if 12 is good, 20 is better, right??!?

Replaced tie rods a few months back and just finished the link pins - now looking for someone in the Denver / Boulder area that knows how to align these old Bugs. Most places I called don't want to touch something this "old". Seriously??? I guess nowadays, if a car is more than 15-20 years old, places act like they are too "old-tech" to work on! Come on - these are simple cars, but they are NOT a Model T! And, it can't be an OLD CAR - it is the same age as I am (wait, what does that say about ME?!?!?)......

1964 VW Bug
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

edselflop wrote:
I set out to get the 12 ton HF press, then noticed the 20 ton was only $50 more .... if 12 is good, 20 is better, right??!?

Replaced tie rods a few months back and just finished the link pins - now looking for someone in the Denver / Boulder area that knows how to align these old Bugs. Most places I called don't want to touch something this "old". Seriously??? I guess nowadays, if a car is more than 15-20 years old, places act like they are too "old-tech" to work on! Come on - these are simple cars, but they are NOT a Model T! And, it can't be an OLD CAR - it is the same age as I am (wait, what does that say about ME?!?!?)......

It’s actually pretty easy to do at home but a quick google search brought these guys up:http://www.eisenbuds.com
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Laguna1116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

edselflop wrote:

I took mine to Firestone and had no problems. Just make sure they take the hub caps off before they attach the lasers and you should be fine.
1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Work in Progress
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I just verified that my generator is working properly.
machinewsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I put a new electric fuel pump in, a new exhaust, and when the passenger side bearing seized on the way to my local bug shop, I decided an unexpected switch to disk brakes was fine after buying Christmas presents and traveling to Cali to spend the holiday with my parents... everything is fine....
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Put in a new coil a few days ago, and yesterday I put in new plugs. Runs like a dream now.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled my engine and got the car up on wheel dollies.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

First drive of the new year. Twenty one degrees and snowing while out and about in a fifty-eight year old car. Cool

HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I installed a WW repro Bambus tray in my 63 Bug. I was able to do it with no holes using zip ties and adhesive zip tie anchors. I put the anchors behind the tray in the middle back area where the where the metal of the interior goes back to horizontal. Pulled it tight. I also put one around the steering column and tray in the back for good measure. The bump out in the kick panels keep it secured horizontally.

I've had one in my 62 for 10 years (came in the car and I put it back in after restoring since the holes were already there). I've loved and and always missed how handy it is when I get in my other Bug. But I didn't want to put any holes in it. Glad I found a way to secure it with no holes.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

It snowed a lot last Thursday and then the temps have been well below freezing for many days both before and since the snowstorm, going down as low as 2degF. I was afraid the Beetle would not want to start today after having sat for about 10 days in these conditions in an unheated garage. Started up, and drove it for a few miles. Not bad for 6 volts. Had a Baskin Robbins Mocha Blast to celebrate. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Laguna1116 wrote:
edselflop wrote:

I took mine to Firestone and had no problems. Just make sure they take the hub caps off before they attach the lasers and you should be fine.

Firestone here wont touch mine beyond mounting and balancing tires.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Page 276 of 316

Jump to: