Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cleaned many connections, installed a phone charger, replaced all body seals other than the bumpers, reinstalled my repaired OG radio upgraded with an AUX and FM, fixed a nonfunctional dome light, learned how to adjust my carburetor, learned how to use a multimeter to check wires and to check RPMs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I just finished a brake adjustment. I now have a high-normal pedal.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Adjusted my worm and sector steering. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
67CarGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed new battery, new coil, removed the rear seat, and determined I still have a very long way to go before I'm driving safely and having fun (I'm already having fun, though! Laughing ).

rcooled wrote:

On the other hand, if what the OP really wants is a project that'll take up all of his free time for a couple of years, relieve his bank account of many thousands of dollars and frustrate the living hell out of him, then this car is a good place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New German wheel cylinders. Getting ready for Dubs Around the Lake next week.
Envixy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Split my stock 1600 dp and leaning towards buying a super case from CB Performance due to bearing numbers hammered into case. It's gonna need a line bore and blah blah blah. GO BIG OR GO GOME. (not too big lol)
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Blew out the carb jets. Like 5 times this weekend.
Damn things keep getting clogged making the car no fun to drive.

Worked on a friends 66, new PP clutch, TOB.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Need new fuel lines or fuel pump diaphragm?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Need new fuel lines or fuel pump diaphragm?

Fuel pump is ok. Likely a new filter along the trans would help.

It's been a frustrating week to be sure.

Thanks.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled the carb and the hideous spacer.. bent the manifold a bit, reassembled everything, put on the stock air cleaner.. drove it around town.

Ordered some new headlight globes..
Smile

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled my '67 out of storage a few weekends ago, been taking it on longer and longer drives to make sure things are working well.

Issues:
* I noticed it had been pulling to the right during hard braking. Turned out the front right brake was adjusted a little too tight -- fixed!
* Engine runs a little hot, leaks oil from the top while running, and has low oil pressure at idle. I recently installed a VDO oil pressure gauge, which ruled out a flaky idiot light sender. The (original) engine has all of its tin and runs strong, but is probably worn and in need of a rebuild. In the meantime, I've been checking ancillary things: there's no junk in the fan, the timing is correct, the oil pressure relief valve moves freely for the most part, though the bore isn't perfectly smooth. Today I replaced the oil with 20W50 to bump up the pressure a little (yes this is a band-aid, but it's also been over 90°F a lot recently.) My plan is to check the cylinder compression soon, pull the engine, and replace the oil cooler seals as well as to check the oil pump for wear.

I'm tempted to replace the grooved oil pressure relief valve with a solid one to claw back a little oil pressure at idle, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Single? Or dual relief case? Makes a difference.
Dual relief cases work best with two non-grooved oil relief pistons.
Towel Rail wrote:
Pulled my '67 out of storage a few weekends ago, been taking it on longer and longer drives to make sure things are working well.

Issues:
* I noticed it had been pulling to the right during hard braking. Turned out the front right brake was adjusted a little too tight -- fixed!
* Engine runs a little hot, leaks oil from the top while running, and has low oil pressure at idle. I recently installed a VDO oil pressure gauge, which ruled out a flaky idiot light sender. The (original) engine has all of its tin and runs strong, but is probably worn and in need of a rebuild. In the meantime, I've been checking ancillary things: there's no junk in the fan, the timing is correct, the oil pressure relief valve moves freely for the most part, though the bore isn't perfectly smooth. Today I replaced the oil with 20W50 to bump up the pressure a little (yes this is a band-aid, but it's also been over 90°F a lot recently.) My plan is to check the cylinder compression soon, pull the engine, and replace the oil cooler seals as well as to check the oil pump for wear.

I'm tempted to replace the grooved oil pressure relief valve with a solid one to claw back a little oil pressure at idle, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Drove the crap outta my 67 as usual.

Ordered a set of Tims stage 2 heads for the 2180 that I built over the winter months and only made it 100+ miles before a head failure. Different vendor was sourced for the first set of heads.

Car Saturday in Camas, Wa. Very Happy Cool

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

If the tired 67 engine is the original case, that thick 50 weight oil may increase your oil temps. The small oil passages in those single port engine cases don't really like the thick oil.

It will take much longer for the oil to reach temperature and thin out enough to let the oil go through the cooler.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Single? Or dual relief case? Makes a difference.
Dual relief cases work best with two non-grooved oil relief pistons.

Single relief, original H0 engine. I know (and agree with) the theory behind the grooved piston, but in my case, I think it's throwing away oil flow that could be better used at the bearings.

wcfvw69 wrote:
If the tired 67 engine is the original case, that thick 50 weight oil may increase your oil temps. The small oil passages in those single port engine cases don't really like the thick oil.

It will take much longer for the oil to reach temperature and thin out enough to let the oil go through the cooler.

My gauge is telling me that the cold pressure at startup (fast idle) is about 40psi, and it never gets much above that in normal driving, so I don't think I'm spending much time bypassing the oil cooler.

All of the admonitions against using thick oil and oversized oil pumps and "booster" kits make total sense when dealing with a healthy engine. I'm just trying to find ways to achieve my 10psi/1000rpm until I have the bandwidth to rebuild the engine or install a replacement. Experience has shown (see the Thing thread in my sig) that once a project car is no longer in a driveable state, my motivation goes out the window. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

More tweaking of my oil pressure relief valve.

I said before that the relief bore isn't completely smooth, but it seems to be smooth and straight except for a very slight ledge/step partway up. From my searches, it appears the ledge has been known to show up due to the way cases are machined and usually isn't a problem, but when testing the movement of the piston in the bore with my finger, sometimes the piston would stop and not want to move at that point. Perhaps the bore is worn just enough that the piston will tilt and jam if its edge catches the ledge during its movement.

Here's a picture from supersuk's '68 Fastback thread. Mine looks pretty much the same:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I thought about using sandpaper on a dowel to smooth out the ledge, but considering that pistons can be easily replaced while a messed-up bore could junk the case, I decided to work on the piston. In theory, if the piston tapers to a smaller diameter on each end, it will be less able to hang up on an irregularity in the bore. (For an extreme example, think about a bullet in a gun bore. Aerodynamic considerations aside, you would not want one of those to get stuck partway!)

So I filed each of the four chamfers (this is a grooved piston, remember) slightly deeper and then softened each of those edges by lightly filing at steeper and shallower angles to the chamfers. Then I polished up my work using 1500 grit sandpaper soaked in WD-40 on a rubber block before thoroughly cleaning the piston. The end result is much like a fillet, if I'm using my words right. The corners are now very smooth, and a test run with my finger had the piston going up each time without stopping. In some cases, I could feel a little "bump" as it passed the ledge, but it was easily getting around it now. Success! I also smoothed the ends of the relief spring to make sure there weren't any sharp corners to scratch the bore.

I drove the car around on a couple of errands today, and my gauge never got below about 5 psi at idle. That isn't necessarily proof of anything since I wasn't doing WOT runs on the highway at 100°, but I think I can rule out oil relief piston misbehavior now.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
67CarGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Tried again to start her up, after bypassing the tank with some new fuel line.... Nuthin'! Sad
So let's test the fuel pump... pulls fine, but it can't push anything out... ok, let's remove it.
Wellll, this here book tells me that it's easier to just remove the whole dang engine, and that doesn't seem right. I mean, the pump is just sitting right there, right? Let's have a look....
Remove dizzy, remove air cleaner assembly, then remove fuel pump. Discover that it's a crimped unit, with no obvious means of opening it up to R&R anything (see a soon-to-be upcoming thread about this - I'll add the link once it's up), and still no luck.
So we reassemble the whole mess, and now she won't even kick over. WTH? Brick wall
Back to the book(s), crawl under the right rear and knock around on the starter and solenoid... ok, now we're cranking again, but it looks like we're going to need a new fuel pump. This time, one that can be fixed, rather than replaced.
Phew - and all that in one afternoon!

rcooled wrote:

On the other hand, if what the OP really wants is a project that'll take up all of his free time for a couple of years, relieve his bank account of many thousands of dollars and frustrate the living hell out of him, then this car is a good place to start.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Quick note on my oil pressure saga: got an oil pressure relief valve kit (you know the kind) in the mail, left the springs in the package, did my filing and polishing trick to the ungrooved piston and test-fit it in the bore. It moved nicely in both directions, so I installed it and did some driving today. At start-up, my oil pressure briefly rose to 50 psi before settling back down as it warmed up. Drove the car on a quick errand, and only saw the oil light come on (10psi with the VDO sender) toward the end of my trip. Very tempted to put my stock oil pressure sender back in and call it a day. Cool

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I didn't do a hell of a lot but I did get my horn fixed!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed new NOS rubber floor mats. I reluctantly discarded the old ones, which were original to the car. In addition to their color having faded, they were crumbling. Every time I moved them another piece would come off, or another tear would appear. I guess 50 year old rubber has but just so many years in it.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Page 281 of 316

Jump to: