Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 282, 283, 284 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I dig the YOM license plates!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmackustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I dig the YOM license plates!

And I get to pay $40 extra for providing my own plates!!
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I gave the front end a lube job and put new oil filled shocks all around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I finally got to putting the right door glass back in. I was remiss to put it together with new seals and felt and such, only to have to rip it all out again when I paint the car. So I just put the old felt in, and will leave the window up for winter. I ordered a piece to repair the bottom door hinge area. It's a bit rotted. I still have to figure out why one brake light doesn't work, left, and when I step on the brake with left turn signal on, it just blinks fast, step off brake and it works normal. Brick wall
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I was able to determine, yesterday, that the coil is putting out spark. Still won't start, though. Lots of cranking but no hint of ignition.

I'm gonna check the valves for correct adjustment, check the point gap and static timing. If it doesn't start, the carburetor is next.

Fuel gets to the carb, but once there I don't know yet if there is a problem inside the carb. So i'll be looking for some sort of clog/obstruction.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I installed a Carter P06504 electric fuel pump and tach sensing fuel pump relay.
I turn the key to the on position and hear a faint buzz of the FP for 3 seconds then it shuts off. Works as designed. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have a great day.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
drsisbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Started to put my 1776 engine back into my 66. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a lot of resistance when u crank by hand with a socket
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Started putting my motor back together

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Might want to put the beer away until you're done as you seem to have put the flywheel on backwards.
Laughing
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Might want to put the beer away until you're done as you seem to have put the flywheel on backwards.
Laughing

Funny, but that makes a workable crankshaft stand. I just used an old gland nut in my bench vise.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Which engine is this?
The old broken 40 horse?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
mukluk wrote:
Laughing

Funny, but that makes a workable crankshaft stand. I just used an old gland nut in my bench vise.

It was meant to be a joke, hence the laughing emoticon.

I do use an attached flywheel when working on the crank as well, attached in the normal direction with the gland nut screwed in finger tight.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Which engine is this?
The old broken 40 horse?

Nah. This is a 1641 that’ll have dual carbs and some other CB Performance goodies. Should be wrapped up by Wednesday.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Which engine is this?
The old broken 40 horse?

Nah. This is a 1641 that’ll have dual carbs and some other CB Performance goodies. Should be wrapped up by Wednesday.

Sweet! That'll push your 66 down the hiway nicely.
What carbs are you planning using?

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Carbs are Weber 34 ICT’s

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6427.htm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Carbs are Weber 34 ICT’s

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6427.htm

I ran a set of 34ICT's on a 1776 I built 20years ago. I could never get them right. But they sounded cool. My dog could hear them from over a mile away and lope down the driveway to greet my wife as she came up the hill.

The link you posted is for a dual port head. So I assume that is what you're building.

Wanna try a set of 40IDF clones? I have a set that are just tucked away in a box that I ran on my 1679 for over a year.
The set is complete with filter bases, hex bar linkage, and intake manifolds (slightly match ported).
If your interested in trying them send me a PM. I can ship them to you with all the spare jets to get them working on your new engine.

If you don't like them. Send them back. If you do like them. Maybe we can work out a deal. But I'll want the unused jets back. I have several sets of Weber carbs and need the jets.

Wanna give them a shot? Lemme know.

Good Luck

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

My motor is a single port. Probably just linked the wrongs ones. Thanks for the offer though.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
My motor is a single port. Probably just linked the wrongs ones. Thanks for the offer though.

Well the ICT's will likely work well on an SP engine.

You're a good guy, and I was making a kind offer from one good guy to another.

I look forward to your first drive impressions with this new engine in your 66.

Good Luck.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I think Weber ICTs are a great low-key dual carb setup. Nice, rather simple carbs, not too big, and on an single port engine with it's inherent good port velocity at low speeds, a good match.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Spent 15 mins pulling my motor out. Waiting on parts to arrive tomorrow to finish the new motor. Then that should be in no later than Wednesday.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 282, 283, 284 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 283 of 317

Jump to: