Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 286, 287, 288 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced the rear body mount bushings. No more KLUNK, yay!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67 Lotus White Beetle Sedan - current
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Last week I got the dual brake master cylinder in and bled, the engine back in, complete with exhaust, however when I went to install my rear bumper/cage it became obvious I could have the mufflers of my choice OR the bumper ... I was telling a friend about it and planning to make the bumper longer ... his response was to raise the exhaust above the bumper

This isn't the final solution, but it works for now. I was able to take it on its first trip around the block (under its own power) since 2013 ... Still have to get the lights working before I can get a highway title.
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

It's now starting, running & stopping!

I started to try to untangle the creative wiring by someone previous to the guy I bought my 62 ragtop Baja ... There are 5 relays and 2 toggle switches I've yet to figure out what they're for, the toggles don't do anything. Before I started I had both headlights & front amber lights, wiring to the rear lights didn't work/had no power ... I've now got tail, brake and reverse lights but no turn signals. I also lost one headlight Sad

It's so frustrating that I'd buy a complete harness but every one I've seen says it's not a direct replacement, so I'm not going that route.
deaaaanno.vw1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

has been covered for a while, washed and waxed it!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This weekend was more like what I did FOR the car.

I built a couple of 2x4 towers so as to get the bottom of the rear apron 30" off the ground in preparation for engine removal.

The first few layers are 15" square, eventually tapering down to 9" square so it's a nice fit at the torsion tubes. Solid as a rock.

The front didn't require such drastic measures. Jack stands on top of enough 1 ft squares of 3/4 pine and ply did the trick.
photobrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I traded a '55 Cadillac for it and brought it home! Cool

And then it squatted in its new home, marked its territory, and sniffed my trucks butt to familiarize itself with the pack.
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Sweet!
What year?
And I don't think it should be sitting that low ... Details?
4bolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally got my 1500 back together. Leaking oil badly from the oil cooler and push rod tubes. Had some end play, so I pulled it a couple days after I bought the Beetle 2 months ago.
Before picture was the moldy, lichen covered engine. The Beetle was in a wet dirty shed wrapped in a tarp.
After is from yesterday when I finished it.

photobrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
Sweet!
What year?
And I don't think it should be sitting that low ... Details?

It should totally sit that low! Cool

It's a '66, has air ride & I'm assuming drop spindles with a narrowed beam up front, and guessing just turned the torsion bars to lower the back but I don't really know, I have a lot to learn still. I'm hoping as I dig in a bit more people here will be able to help me identify more about the suspension mods. In the pic with the Caddy the front end is as high as it'll go, in the pic behind the Tacoma the beam is resting on the concrete.
TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I gave mine a quick wash today. I also spent a good amount of time scrapping the old built up grease n stuff from the under carriage. Can’t wait to get this thing running great and get it finished!!

Some people like cucumbers better pickled. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, please get help. Mesothelioma is the #1 cause for death in men and women.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

For the last several nights I've been trying to figure out the creative wiring behind the dash (I kinda wish I'd taken a picture of it!) ... for whatever reason there were 4 relays behind the dash and a couple toggle switches, drilled through the face of the ashtray ... I had assumed they were for auxiliary lighting as my '62 Ragtop is also a Baja bug.

I finally gave up trying to figure it out and pulled the toggles and relays out along with all the ancillary wiring that didn't connect to the wiring harness. It turns out one relay was for the horn, then one for the right turn signal and one for the left ... these were controlled by the toggles on the dash, lastly I think the forth one was for the reverse light ... which was also a very bright but small halogen lamp mounted on the rear bumper.

I kept the relays as I may use them for auxiliary lighting.

There was also a weird rear lighting setup in the rear bumper, I bought a set of original fender mounted tail lamps, I found the wires for them as he had ran his own wiring and jumped the tail, tag and brake lights from one side (turn's were controlled by the toggles which he had also ran new wires for.

Anyway, I hope to have this all straightened out in the next couple nights and finally take it down to have the non-highway title made highway so I can make it my daily driver!
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cleaned out the mounting holes for the bumper brackets. I plan on installing the old beat up bumpers as I'm tired of seeing it with out any bumpers.

Today I installed a new (to me) electronic distributor.. Holy Smokes! What a difference! I need to figure out how to time this thing. I don't want to fry it as right now its in "borrowed" status. I'm not sure static timing works on them?!?! Confused

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fozzy wrote:

I'm not sure static timing works on them?!?! Confused

I put a EMPI electronic ignition distributor in my 72 1600DP engine, and right or wrong, I ended up just playing with it until it started easily, didn't backfire on acceleration or deceleration and didn't run-on when I shut it off.
I've also got the EMPI degree'd crank pulley and according to my timing light its about 22 degrees advanced ... however when I put the distributor in and did a static timing (#1 at tdc) I had to move my #1 plug wire back to where the number 4 wire was ... and played with it from there.

I'm sure you'll get other answers/opinions ... for me it runs great and I'm really happy with it so far!
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got some spare rims I had sitting in my bug paint stripped back to the original paint. A 8/57 rim and a 8/64 rim. Still need to give the 8/57 rim a clr bath to remove the rust stains.

Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
Fozzy wrote:

I'm not sure static timing works on them?!?! Confused

I put a EMPI electronic ignition distributor in my 72 1600DP engine, and right or wrong, I ended up just playing with it until it started easily, didn't backfire on acceleration or deceleration and didn't run-on when I shut it off.
I've also got the EMPI degree'd crank pulley and according to my timing light its about 22 degrees advanced ... however when I put the distributor in and did a static timing (#1 at tdc) I had to move my #1 plug wire back to where the number 4 wire was ... and played with it from there.

I'm sure you'll get other answers/opinions ... for me it runs great and I'm really happy with it so far!

I ran it but did not drive it last night, this morning I got out and put the rear wheels back on and got it all buttoned up for the test flight. I got the "great idea" to attempt to static time it before I left. I went through the normal procedures but for the life of me, I couldn't get my light to work as it has a million times... So I got it started and timed it by ear.. it wasn't great. I headed to the local VW shop and asked for some help.. yeah.. the timing was screwed He used an actual timing light and I was WAY advanced. Got the timing set and tinkered with the carb a bit and its running pretty darned good. It still a bit stumbly.. but nothing like it was

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

When I tried to set mine to spec it wouldn't hardly run and then it ran on after shutting it off, and then it wouldn't start so I set it back where I had it and made note in my manual ... I'll likely be rebuilding it next winter anyway as its somewhat a mystery engine; I have no idea how many miles on it ... odometer in the bug it came out of showed 9k miles on it ... I don't know how many times it rolled over, I believe it to be the original engine and that it had been rebuilt at least once ... Due to the incorrect position of the generator and missing bolts from the tin.

If I won the Publishers Clearing House, it would solve a few problems!
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This is one of the main issues of owning cars that have been on the planet and changed hands so many times. I know in the 80's it was all about doing some odd and somethings iffy things to keep them running and getting around. I have had to work on VW's on nights and weekends to get to work on Monday.. now I do not HAVE to work on things, but finding what IS on these cars instead of what was supposed to be there is the biggest challenge. Confused

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fozzy wrote:
This is one of the main issues of owning cars that have been on the planet and changed hands so many times. I know in the 80's it was all about doing some odd and somethings iffy things to keep them running and getting around. I have had to work on VW's on nights and weekends to get to work on Monday.. now I do not HAVE to work on things, but finding what IS on these cars instead of what was supposed to be there is the biggest challenge. Confused

What kind of distributor are you trying to time? To your point, many distributors have different timing specs. To muddle it further, folks changed vacuum canister on the SVA's and assume it's the original and time their engine incorrectly. There's a lot of things to double check before just assuming you set the timing like it's a new VW you just bought from the dealer.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fozzy wrote:

I agree completely! When I was in high school my best friend had a bug, we would go out in the out in the desert on in his bug or on bikes and have a blast ... My body won't let me do those kinds of things, but I can still enjoy driving a bug!
My 62 ragtop came along after I'd already replaced the brake hoses and repaired the liness, replaced the wheel cylinders master cylinder on my 72 super. The ragtop was already had the Baja Kit I was looking at for my 72 Super and since I'm wasn't actually going to Baja with it, the Super would work fine; but it needed the pan replaced besides cutting it for the Baja Kit, buying the 62 just saved me a lot of work, or so I thought! I thought the relays might have been for auxiliary lighting ... But no, they were for the headlights, right & left turn signals & horn ... I pulled it all out and wired it correctly
It's been an interesting project ... and a heck of a lot of fun, but I've got to slow down a bit as I've already spent about 6k and my "fun money" account is getting kind of skinny ... I need to sell my 72, the only thing I've been able to use for the 62 is the engine, it wasn't as good a parts car as I thought it would be ... It'll still be a good project or parts car for someone.
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I pulled my engine, disassembled the long block, took the heads to a machine shop, honed the cylinders, and replaced the rings. Time to repaint everything and start the assembly!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 286, 287, 288 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 287 of 317

Jump to: