Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 291, 292, 293 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Now you're just showing off! ^^ Wink

True ... but its very worthy of showing off!
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I got lucky this time. No rebuilding, no restoring or chasing parts. Just easy tinkering and preservation this time. Oh yeah a retirees dream car. Thanks for the compliments by the way. See you on the roads....
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What did you use to fill in the backs of your dashboard grills? It looks solid in this picture. Looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I got my third brake light installed and wired up, plus slapped some tbars on the back.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Sold my '62 Beryl green sedan.The front tires were worn because I mistakenly adjusted the tie-rods.They're suppose to be 1/8" out in back of tire. Like pigeon toed.But they were opposite. More like Gomer Pyle toed. Anyway, after correcting I moved the rear 205/65/15 tires to the front to see if the wider tires would work. To my surprise they did. Then I had two more of the 205's that I got mounted and balanced for the back.
I was so busy getting the car ready to sell I forgot to take photos but I wish I had done it sooner. The 205's really filled the fender space nice. I like to leave my vw's stock height so they are driveable. I would've like to have kept it but have too many vehicles and no garage space. I had it listed at $6000 and let it go for 5500. The same price I paid for it 10 years ago. I might have got more for it but what the heck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:
I got my third brake light installed and wired up, plus slapped some tbars on the back.

Hey, that looks cool! Where did you find that?
Acab77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

toddmin wrote:
SparksLP wrote:

Agreed, very 😎. I'd also like to know your source.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Argee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Hard start relay so I could go from 8 volts back to 6 volts, then I installed a new cigarette lighter so I could put in a usb socket.
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Put a optima battery camouflaged in a fake battery case in. Treated my rubber with preservative. Put a new rubber holder on the fold down back to keep it from flopping forward. Next is plugs cap rotor and points. Maybe some new split boots for the axle. All in hand, just need to put it all on. Driving it daily.
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Acab77 wrote:
toddmin wrote:
SparksLP wrote:

Agreed, very 😎. I'd also like to know your source.

I bought an LED cat eye brake light from Speedway Motors online for like $40, hand cut and bent a bracket from thin aluminum and wired it in. It works really well! Not the most professional setup, but different from everything else.
CNsylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I did two things this weekend

1) I put my two 1962's together side by side for the first time ever (Beryl, green) is a 6v and has a 1300. Motor runs but the rear wheels are almost locked up. Bought her from a junk yard about three years ago. I've done some passive things like polish it and put back bits that were missing such as a radio blank, a horn brace, door card, correct peanut indicators - just to make her feel whole again.

The other one (Beatrice, grey) is our weekend cruiser and I'm her third owner.

2) Today I decided to tackle some of Beryl's chrome striping. When I bought her, it was all in a box on the back seat. Someone has tried to fix a dent using pliers. I used the wheel for fixing fly screens. The wheel removed most of the dent after about an hours effort. One day she'll be revived again Smile

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well after another month on non driving. I have finally installed the new trans and now the engine.
Climb in the cab and hit the key to fill the carb bowls. Wouldn't you know it. I smell gas. Look under the car and there's a puddle on the ground. I thought is was loose clamps. Nope! A fractured hard line between the filter and the soft lines to the carbs. Before anybody say's it. I have the hard line run through a hard plastic sleeve at the firewall tin.

Oh! And I thought I had repaired all the oil leaks. Nope! One of the PR tubes is leaking and I haven't even started the engine.
So much fun. I'll get it done and on the road this afternoon.
67rustavenger wrote:
Got the engine on the stand. While waiting for new SAW (Sway A Way) axles.
I'll fix a couple of annoying oil leaks.

The last set of 67 SAW axles available in the USA should arrive next Wednesday. Then I will reassemble the new trans I had built and install it.

Carry on fella's!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

And I just had a chance to drive the car around the block. The trans shifts nice and smooth. I need to adjust the shift plate. But other than that. All is well.
Even the oil leak that remains seems to be not too bad. I'll fix it later. I wanna drive the car.
67rustavenger wrote:
Well after another month on non driving. I have finally installed the new trans and now the engine.
Climb in the cab and hit the key to fill the carb bowls. Wouldn't you know it. I smell gas. Look under the car and there's a puddle on the ground. I thought is was loose clamps. Nope! A fractured hard line between the filter and the soft lines to the carbs. Before anybody say's it. I have the hard line run through a hard plastic sleeve at the firewall tin.

Oh! And I thought I had repaired all the oil leaks. Nope! One of the PR tubes is leaking and I haven't even started the engine.
So much fun. I'll get it done and on the road this afternoon.
67rustavenger wrote:
Got the engine on the stand. While waiting for new SAW (Sway A Way) axles.
I'll fix a couple of annoying oil leaks.

The last set of 67 SAW axles available in the USA should arrive next Wednesday. Then I will reassemble the new trans I had built and install it.

Carry on fella's!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I recently replaced the ‘67’s front suspension and steering components including tie rods, ball joints, shocks, steering damper and box, stabilizer bar, etc....and I’ll be taking the car to a local shop this morning for alignment. Very Happy

Last edited by FL-Frank on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today I removed the og front bumper and cleaned up the backside of the blade with a wire brush attachment on my drill. Next, I’ll prime the backside with Rustoleum primer and then top coat it with Rustoleum satin silver.

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Treated the backside of the blade and brackets with Ospho, primed everything with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, and then applied 3 coats of Rustoleum Metallic Matte Nickel.

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

And this afternoon...I reinstalled the bumper on the car using all new 8m grade 10.9 fasteners. Although the guards and support tubes are repops, the blade, towel bar, and brackets are original VW parts. The chrome on the blade and towel bar is getting pretty dull, but I like the fact that they’re original parts !

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
I recently replaced the ‘67’s front suspension and steering components including tie rods, ball joints, shocks, steering damper and box, stabilizer bar, etc....and I’ll be taking the car to a local shop this morning for alignment. Very Happy

UPDATE...got it aligned, and I can’t believe the difference! The car tracks straight as an arrow, and the steering is controlled, responsive, and light! The wheel even returns to center after coming out of turns now Very Happy
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Started the same process on the rear bumper this morning....remove, wire wheel the backside of the blade, spray everything with Ospho, prime with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, top coat with Rustoleum Metallic Matte Nickel, reinstall with all new grade 10.9 fasteners.

I thought my rear bumper was a repop, however, I was pleasantly surprised to find the VM mark on the backside of this blade too Very Happy

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Reinstalled the rear bumper this morning. Only issue is the backup lights now don’t work. Crying or Very sad All other electrical works, so I think it’s probably the switch.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 291, 292, 293 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 292 of 317

Jump to: