Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 295, 296, 297 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I drove mine Saturday and all was great. Then I went to pick up some dinner, and it began to miss (again), which seems to be a chronic issue with this car.

About 2 miles from the house I couldn't drive it any faster than idle speed, or it would stall. So I limped back to the house, getting off the main roads and staying as far to the right as possible.

I'm not looking at it again until April, but I think I will begin with the accelerator spray arm in the carb. The opening in the downstream end of that thing is so tiny that any piece of schmutz can clog it up. I've cleaned it and the entire fuel system multiple times already, but here we go again.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cleaned and POR'd the floors, re-installed the new pedal assembly.. doctored all the cuts and scrapes on my knuckles..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New tarboards are in the floor warming up to glue in. New pedal assembly and throttle make the bug run GREAT!... Smooth power, available power. for a 40 horse anyway! lol

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Delayed, But, I got a flat tire last Thursday evening on a leisurely drive.
What ever punctured the less than 500 mile tire through the tread was big enough to warrant a new tire replacement from the tire shop under warranty. Very Happy

What I did last week? I installed a new tire!

Carry on.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Started it for the first time this year, also installed a 6 volt tach from tstracy39.

78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

took it out for a ride through spring 59 years and one day after its first registraton.

Buzz65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finished disc brake install I started 6 months ago
fenterline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed the ragtop rails

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced leaking master cylinder,bled lines.and adjusted brakes.Cleaned up leaked brake fluid repainted the floor note removed the sound deadner back from the area to make things easier if it would happen again.Also going to do monthy visual inspections of these areas.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed custom shifter knob from Martin Shapes (surfboard maker) for my kids bday. I also rebuilt the Hurst shifter and added a Race Plate from Bruce.

shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Took it for a rip up the taconic yesterday. Nothing better than going on a drive to nowhere.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed Chip Birks LED tail lights on on '59 Bug. They're great!
Daves62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fixed oil cooler seal leak
Sand blasted all the tins for a new coat of shiny black paint
Replaced worn throttle cable and
New friction discs for heater controls and last but not least took a great drive with my kids
Acab77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

After weeks with my bugs butt up in the air (on ramps), I finally was able to get her back on the ground and take her for a short spin. I had two problems that I was working to address;

1. The rear apron was cooking with my new CSP exhaust, to the point where the paint was starting to bubble on some areas. I ordered and installed Heat Shield Exhaust Armor. It was a real pain in the a## to install. That stuff is so expensive that I really took my time to trim the pieces as to not waste any of it. The material itself is fine, but you have to wear a mask, eye protection, and gloves. I of course underestimated the amount of safety wire needed to complete my install, so had to play the waiting game for my new shipment to come in. Ugh. Finally got it installed.

2. The mufflers on the CSP exhaust has a single hanger near the front, but not near the rear. This made it so the exhaust was almost stable, but shook at the tailpipe way more than I was comfortable with. After shooting in the dark a bit on exhaust parts, I found some hangers and clamps and connected them up to the bumper bracket.

Overall I am happy with the result. I will have to take it on some longer drives to make sure the exhaust isn’t getting too hot when under longer load. Everything in the engine bay seems fine temp wise, it’s just been that apron.

A short video of it running. No noticeable exhaust shake, don’t have a before, just an after:
https://youtu.be/rLauw1lMXcs
'64.5 Ford Mustang
'67 Datsun Roadster
'72 Chevy LUV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

STAINLESS EXHAUST TIPS!

WOOOOOT!

aRandomAggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New carbs, fan shroud, and wiring clean-up.

REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Dammit.
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced left door latch and striker plate with aftermarket items from WW. The latch on the '59 Type 1 was broken and the door would come ajar over any bump. Also, this entailed detailing some of the door 'inards'. Why not? It was opened up anyway! Trunk lid knob/cable(wire) was replaced. A PO paint the knob and I could not get the paint off. New passenger assist straps were added, the other (also aftermarket) ones were splitting. A light weight high torque starter is next in the queue.

Last edited by boxkiteflyer on Sat May 09, 2020 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I installed the instant-on brake light switch that i've seen advertised on the front page here a few times. Gotta say, it works a treat. Took me about an hour including re-gluing my front carpet.

I have to recommend this for all daily drivers, its really nice to know that your brake lights are on even if you're just slowing down a little bit... ESPECIALLY if you have disc brakes because the OE switches dont always actuate. (I nearly failed an inspection that way because the mechanic wasnt pushing hard enough on the pedal!(Then again he also couldnt find reverse, so i had to "help him out" with a few things Laughing ))
CNsylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I guess its not what I've done this week, but what I've done this month. He's my list for my 1962 stock bug:

-RHS door limiter - (re) installed as it was in the bottom of the door!
-Wheels - replaced 8 hub cap clips and rivets across my five wheels (thanks to all the tips from The Samba that made this job easy, first one took me 45mins, last one took me 4 minutes Smile
- Front towel rail bumper - removed and painted all struts and replaced rubbers, wire sanded some corrosion on inside of bumper and then smeared fish oil on the inside and polished it up.
- RHS pan (inside) - removed carpets and painted with fish oil.
- LHS Quarter window - looked at fixing the latch, then shied away as removing the glass to access the latch looks way too hard.
- Prepared the spare tyre "well" area for sanding, priming and painting and found a nice chassis number sequence (see photo)
- Replaced the brake line from the master cylinder to the rear wheels.
- Tune up (had done 1600 miles in 2 years)

Last but not least, at night, I decided to take one of my old Lesney Matchbox VW's that I've had since I was a kid and fixed it up. Its a runner now too!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 295, 296, 297 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 296 of 317

Jump to: