Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 299, 300, 301 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

put the final piece of cooling tin on . now its complete still need hose clamps .there on the way
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Beautiful looking engine!
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Shot 2 x litres of L456 Ribinrot / Ruby Red on the rear wings (fenders) of my 1967 1500 California Bug.
aRandomAggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
put the final piece of cooling tin on . now its complete still need hose clamps .there on the way

That engine looks fantastic, has a great “super stock” look. What are the specs?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I've been drilling out the welds in my shift rod bracket, in preparation for removal and insertion of a new one.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I've been drilling out the welds in my shift rod bracket, in preparation for removal and insertion of a new one.

How far have you gotten? This is a 2 hour job at the longest. For a first timer.
Did you get the old bracket out?
But i know that you take your time and make sure that you have things just perfect. Before moving on to the next task.

Keep at it. you'll be very happy when it is finished.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Picked up a good used complete wiper unit for the 67 yesterday. PO had installed a 71 complete unit in the car but did a hack job and it kept blowing the fuse anyway, this is actually a 68 piece but is almost identical to the OG wipers. Anyway have new seals and bushings coming from WW hope to have it in this weekend.

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replace all the bushings and such while you have it out. They're cheap and a lot easier to deal with now than later.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Chipping away at the To Do List axle boots, one of the few jobs I dont like doing to a VW. Confused

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Just don't forget the silicone... I did that once. DOH!

The last time I did mine I used the stupid cheap colored boots (blue!) and used Right Stuff. It has held since. Strange...
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

How far have you gotten? This is a 2 hour job at the longest. For a first timer.
But i know that you take your time and make sure that you have things just perfect. Before moving on to the next task.

I bought a couple of Milwaukee Titanium drill bits but they are shit. Each one did one hole and was done. Tomorrow I'm gonna buy-n-try this

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-63657.html

and see how it goes.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Norseman drill bits. I love HF, but drill bits are not a place where they shine. If you're going to do more than a few welds:

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Norseman-35010-Cobalt-Spot-Weld/dp/B01CHJ5NZI/

Not that they last longer (they do) but that they're just much more enjoyable to use. $100 for the Norseman or 20 of the HF cutters, but if you like using one and hate using the other...
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Just don't forget the silicone... I did that once. DOH!

The last time I did mine I used the stupid cheap colored boots (blue!) and used Right Stuff. It has held since. Strange...

I have never had to use any type of sealant on axle boots. Its bad enough with just the Gear Oil and other $hit dripping in my face. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Scotty, Those spot weld cutters, suck for the shift rod bracket job we have been exchanging PM's about. I just use regular drill bits and get the job done.
The spot weld cutter you listed is for body work spot welds.

Check your PM's again!
scottyrocks wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

I bought a couple of Milwaukee Titanium drill bits but they are shit. Each one did one hole and was done. Tomorrow I'm gonna buy-n-try this

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-63657.html

and see how it goes.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I built an engine early this year. When I had it all together. I didn't like the stiffness feel when turning the crankshaft pulley by hand.
So I set the engine aside and moved on with surviving the sickness we are not supposed to talk about here.

Flash forward to late November 2020. The engine was torn down again. To find the source of the tightness when rotating the crankshaft by hand.
I really didn't find the smoking gun. But did discover a few items I over looked during the build last Feb. March.
I f'd up the timing gear snap ring. It was a little out of round. And the thrust was a bit tight. Fixed both of those issues. And buttoned up the short block last night. The rotation seems much more free! Very Happy

Now I just have to finish the rest of the work to get the engine finished.

Carry on.

Happy Holiday's!

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced the messed up E-Brake handle last week. I had bought an EMPI replacement boot and after the handle install I tried to get the boot on.... it wasnt happening without ripping it. I thought I need to remove the seats to make it easier...nope not happening unless I go all caveman and rip the thing up. I have the old OG boot but it is in bad shape, but I took some photos of the two and they are really different in size. I think I remember changing one out a few years back and it fit well I think. Anyway any tips to installing and not destroying the new boot. Thanks for any tips.

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Anyway any tips to installing and not destroying the new boot. Thanks for any tips.

Boil the boot in hot water, then quickly snap it over.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Duncan, great idea. It was a cold day I tried to install I will give that a try ..Thanks
Betsy1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

What did I do in my Beetle this week?

Filmed Betsy my 1965 Bug with my son Smile

https://youtu.be/ZIyefOmO9LE
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Colour / wet-sanded and then buffed / polished both rear wings (fenders) of my 1967 1500 California Bug in readiness for bolting back on the vehicle.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 299, 300, 301 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Page 300 of 316

Jump to: