Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 300, 301, 302 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keegs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Would love to be able to do such nice work lhd76bug... will probably have to take mine to a paint shop sometime down the line.

At the beginning of the week I was working on my wonky hood and quarter panel alignments and decided I should pull on the nose to get some kinks out of the lower quarter panels. I wanted the e-brake to add a little more resistance for the pull. The ratchet in the brake handle needed resetting but I found that the pivot pin was seized so I couldn't get the handle off. Had to cut the pin. Got the handle off and pounded out the remaining pin piece. Fixed the ratchet, ordered a replacement pin and stuck a 5/8" bolt in there temporarily. The e-brake cables didn't seem to be working properly so I started looking at the cable runs to the rear brakes. Found the brake line to the RR drum was cut and pinched and it's missing the wheel cylinder. I took both L and R rear drums off and cleaned all the bits inside and then ordered a pkg of brake replacement parts (lines. shoes. cylinders clips springs. hoses....) When these parts are in I'll install the missing wheel cylinder and leave the rest for when the body is off. Then it snowed. The master cylinder was leaking and I had a rebuild kit so I rebuilt it. Then I built a cart for the welder. We've had a few days of sunshine and most of the driveway is clear of ice and snow now. The e-brake is working on one wheel ...maybe tomorrow I'll try rolling the bug out of the garage and get back to the pull.

I'm just getting started on this project so I expected there to be weeks like this....
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Thank you Sir. I don't know about you, but I enjoy working on old bugs; for me it's therapeutic. I don't get the same buzz from working on more modern everyday volkswagens.
TROY WALTERS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got my new 63 beetle home cleaned it out and got it ready to build
still figuring out the build got it off samba
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

just got new heavy duty pans and building cart to hold body [/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Nice old bug you got there Troy, you should have fun with that one !
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finished putting this back together again! I never ran it the last time I put it together. It didn't feel right. So I pushed it aside. Until last November. pulled it apart and looked for any mistakes. I didn't really find anything outstanding.
Other than it originally only had two end play shims. It ran that way. But it always bothered me.
I machined the #1 bearing .012" and added the third shim. It seems much better now.

I need to get it off the stand and fire it! Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fitted repainted rear wings (fenders) to my '67 California bug. Before bolting 'em up, I liberally applied Ankor Wax to the undersides and inner wings by brush. It's the first time I've used this; I normally use Waxoyl, but this new stuff seems very good.
Bumper going on soon !

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

So my Carter fuel pump stopped working early this week. I ordered an new one to replace the P60504. It worked great.
Well to get to the pump. I had to siphon some of the gas out of the tank. It was full with "Pure-GAs"
I have been burping gas fums for the last two hours. Shocked I hate siphoning gas.

Anywho, It turns out the fuel pump relay took a dirt nap. Not the pump itself.
The bad news is that a new relay will take until Feb 9. To get here. WFT?
I ordered the new pump from Summit Racing Friday. It was on my porch yesterday. One day after the order was placed. That's fast!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed rear bumper after bolting up repainted rear fenders / wings
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I found where my father stashed the original interior light, cleaned it (alot), fixed the broken bit and put it back in the bug after 35 years.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

We're having a snow day today.
Gonna defrost my pile in a bit. As soon as I get the courage up to go out in the cold! Very Happy

Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I agree, loads of snow and ice storms on the way. I took the old girl out for a ride in the snow and had a great time. This weekend I'll probably keep my fuzzy slippers on, have an adult beverage or two and restore the speedo and fuel gauge. I wish everyone good luck with their weekend projects!

Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well, surprise, surprise, lost the clutch this Saturday while pulling out of the garage. Pulled the engine and found that the throw out bearing lost an ear. So I’m going to replace the front engine seal, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, tranny main shaft seal, hard fuel line and some other odds and ends. Wish me luck! I’ll post pictures soon.

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

THANK YOU for calling it the FRONT engine seal!!!

Sorry, the lack of consistency in calling the stuff in front the front drives me batty.
TROY WALTERS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

test fit my fiberglass fenders today have more parts coming the build is leaning to drag bug/Cal look have rear fenders and so much to next will be floor pans

lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Lookin' good Troy !
67Type1NRX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled the engine to address oil leaks (‘67 bug). Thought the flywheel seal and maybe the camshaft plug were the biggest culprits. Power washed the case and found a hole. The case is an AE. Bought the car in Alabama and brought it home to Michigan in 2009. Don’t have any history, but the case is so corroded; it had to come off a northern car. I’ve got an HO case I’ll use (more on this on another post).

Slimwonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
We're having a snow day today.
Gonna defrost my pile in a bit. As soon as I get the courage up to go out in the cold! Very Happy
I’m in Hillsboro, never seen you driving round! Cool car
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Thats not snow. Thats dust.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Thats not snow. Thats dust.

That was just the beginning of a snow storm that crippled the Portland area.
Any time we get over a half an inch. The whole area goes completely stupid. Shocked

Bruce'ster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I messed with the wiring again and again and again and still can't get any power to the switch Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 300, 301, 302 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 301 of 317

Jump to: