Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 301, 302, 303 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Just picked up my newest VW. 1964 Bahama Blue
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and sold my 66

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fitted a replacement locking engine lid handle and keys (obtained from FleaBay) to take the place of the non-locking one which my '67 California Bug arrived with last year. I wasn't happy with the prospect of parking the car and leaving it so that anyone could gain access to the engine compartment with a push of one finger
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed some Fog Lamps today, still need to install a relay and wire up a HD switch.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Great week! Motor went back in after the clutch, throw out bearing, flywheel and pressure plate were changed. Updated the speaker, cleaned, polished the speedometer, changed the gels, also cleaned the fuel gauge. Finally got the carb and choke tuned properly! Now it’s time to take her out in the spring time weather and enjoy it till it’s time to replace the floor pans and heater channels.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed my beautiful new VolkzBitz carb and my gorgeous refreshed distributor and fuel pump (both are original to the car) done by Sparx Werks.

And please overlook the incorrect fuel line clamps. They are from a HONDA lawn mower. Embarassed

alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Celebrated her 60th first registration day on April 4th 2021 with a small tour near Lake of Constance (she is the third in the row, the on in front is three days older!).

Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well fill her up with high test for a birthday treat.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of changing my CB Magna spark ignition to an MSD clone with a Crane Hi6N CDI Box and Crane LX92 coil. The box and coil will live in the rear luggage compartment, out of the weather.

It's not complete yet. But close!

Also installed one of those WW battery acid absorbent mat's under the battery.
Sorry no pic of that.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Just a question about the coil. Doesn’t having it better than twice the original distance from the cap increase the resistance and cause trouble? Did it change the timing?

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:
Just a question about the coil. Doesn’t having it better than twice the original distance from the cap increase the resistance and cause trouble? Did it change the timing?

Since electrons travel at the speed of light, don't worry about timing; and, the extremely tiny extra resistance is also nothing to worry about. Main concern would be keeping the path of the longer coil to distributor wire away from hot metal surfaces to avoid spark leak.

Before putting my #1 & #2 cylinder sparkplug wires inside of a rib'd plastic conduit, I could see spark (in the dark) leaking from one of those wires to the hex head of lower right bolt that holds my alternator's backing plate to fan shroud:

(Mirror image at top of pic is due to having chrome shroud.)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:

The coil wire is shorter than the #1 spark plug wire from the distributor.
I made it up last night. From the coil to the firewall terminal is about 4.5". In the engine compartment the coil wire is just about 14" in total.

The coil puts out 510 miliamps. So I'm not concerned with resistance over that short distance.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Sadly, all I've done with my 64 is move it around town.

First moved it from a coworker's garage:

https://i.imgur.com/6JDgfkG.mp4

To my Mother-In-Law's driveway:

Where the neighbors complained so the cops came and chalked the tires. So I spent all day Sunday emptying out her packed to the rafters garage so I could shove it into a hole there.

Makes me sad that I haven't done ANYTHING to it. Mostly because the bulk of my free time has been working on my 68 instead...
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fitted a new Rear Window Blind to my'67 California Bug. I didn't like the raw "unfinished" look of the frames as they came out of the box, so I etch primed 'em, followed by a coat of Ivory Satin before installation
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replacing the window seals in my 64.

2 done, 2 to go. Rest break right now.

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Washed my pile last night. My bees were pooping all over the car and it was time for a bath.
The car needs paint too. Embarassed But that is far down the road.

I also finished the CDI ignition install. Very Happy The engine runs much cleaner and crisper. Considering that the current engine has semi-hemi heads.
A little tuning and time refinements will make a huge difference.

Next up? I need to swap engines for the NW Bug Run. Coming June 5th 2021. Cool There is a fresh 2180 sitting on the garage floor looking for a good place to stretch it's muscles.

Boyrcr420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Have been doing carb rebuild and tuning for the summer so decided to take a break and converted the back seat to a storage deck. Really wanted to give the battery more space and I never have passengers back there so this was more functional.
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Nice neat job; tidied it up nicely !
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Gave the old bug a liberal coat of wax on the body and bumpers and polished it off; fitted a slip-over spare wheel cover the wife cut out and sewed up for me. I think it tidies up the trunk area / luggage compartment nicely ! She got some practice years ago when she made a full spare wheel cover for the front-mounted spare wheel of my then daily driver Bay Window Type 2 !
Kudos to TheSamba.com; it's a fantastic resource and has helped me out many times !

CNsylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

It's mothers day in Australia today Sunday 9th May, and therefore my 1962's spent some time together, I threw in a rose from the garden too!

Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well it has been some time, but i drug up the 67 and have been trying to find an oil leak. I believed it to be the oil cooler because why not, I was unable to see where it was coming from. Tore the engine down and then tore it out only to find the oil cooler was not the problem it was the flywheel seal. Once the flywheel was removed I found that the seal had torn, so I ordered a new one. Got it installed, cleaned up the tins and reinstalled. Once the engine was running again the oil leak was not immediately present but after the second time starting and a test drive it began pouring back out. So now I am going to have to do it all over again I guess to find out what happened. I was just debating finishing my SP build to install instead but have to wait for new case savers. Confused
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 301, 302, 303 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Page 302 of 316

Jump to: