Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well, engine was basically a loss. So now we're building a fresh one. Decided the 1600 sp wasn't enough, even though it would have been more accurate we are just setting a pair of dual ports on.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcortara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put this repaired Bendix radio in my 1966 bug.
Bought the radio on e-bay for $90. It was dirty and didn't work. D & M Restoration in South Carolina cleaned it up and converted it to 12v.
My car was converted to 12v in the 70s and there was a funky black radio in there.
So happy about this radio!!!
I am waiting for my brother-in-law to help me with the wiring, but it looks great in the car, can't wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Clean!!!!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeece
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well the week's not over yet, but it will be official tomorrow: I bought a bug! Very Happy

It has been my uncle's Beetle for... as long as I can remember, at least 40 years. Surprised

Originally a California car, '64 body on a '67 chassis, 1600 engine... Painted orange, "baja" body kit (I'm not quite fond of it, but hey, won't matter when I'll be driving it), chromed Marathon wheels (widened in the rear!) with caps. I've always been mad in love with those rollers though! Roughly (1)40000 miles on the car, recently mostly used to commute to/from work one town over when the weather was fair. Never saw Winter, stored when it rained in the last years... Not showroom condition, but still a good looking and solid daily! He took great care of it, but it has never been restored/further modified, so it's reallly a window to the 70s era... complete with brown shag carpet headliner. Laughing Oh and rear pop out windows.

Had a hitch at some point in time, to tow a tent trailer. Shocked

Oh well, I'm very excited, can you tell? Razz Will post pictures later, of course!

Last edited by Jeece on Sat May 29, 2021 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Wow! First post since joining in 2005. That's impressive! So I guess a belated "Welcome to the samba" is in order.

The first cars are always a new experience. Have fun with it. Congrats.
Jeece wrote:
Well the week's not over yet, but it will be official tomorrow: I bought a bug! Very Happy

It has been my uncle's Beetle for... as long as I can remember, at least 40 years. Surprised

Originally a California car, '64 body on a '67 chassis, 1600 engine... Painted orange, "baja" body kit (I'm not quite fond of it, but hey, won't matter when I'll be driving it), chromed Marathon wheels (widened in the rear!) with caps. I've always been mad in love with those rollers though! Roughly 40000 miles on the car, recently mostly used to commute to/from work one town over when the weather was fair. Never saw Winter, stored when it rained in the last years... Not showroom condition, but still a good looking and solid daily! He took great care of it, but it has never been restored/further modified, so it's reallly a window to the 70s era... complete with brown shag carpet headliner. Laughing Oh and rear pop out windows.

Had a hitch at some point in time, to tow a tent trailer. Shocked

Oh well, I'm very excited, can you tell? Razz Will post pictures later, of course!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Jeece
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Wow! First post since joining in 2005. That's impressive! So I guess a belated "Welcome to the samba" is in order.

Thanks. Good eye. I don't remember why I subscribed back then. Laughing I've always had interest for Volkswagens in general, my dad has 50+ years experience fixing air-cooled VWs (self-employed), so you could say I was born in it (legend even says I was conceived in one!). He began tinkering them in his late teens, with his brothers... they built many dune buggys, bashing/racing on country roads and mountain trails. Speaking of which, one of those buggys have survived, but hasn't been used in... 35 years? Engine (1300, the complete one on the engine stand) isn't seized, and those wheels are just for moving around purpose. We're actually planning to make it running again. I think it's (was?) a shortened 66 chassis, but not sure...

Dune Buggy by JC Raymond

Yeah, a real death trap. Laughing
Boyrcr420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Does Falling back in Love count? Besides that, replaced the clutch cable. Boy was THAT fun. Sad But it's done and happy, so am I.

On the topic though of Falling in love again. I've owned my '66 for 12 years. 5 years ago I was kinda done with it and it went into the garage, registration expired and not driving. Garage was converted into a Mother In Law apartment so car moved to the driveway under a cover and I decided to sell it as is. Long story there but had an interested out of State Buyer and the day of the sale I stayed home all day and waited, never heard from the guy again. Ghosted.

Began to look at the car again and an interest rekindled. Put a new battery in it, and some gas. Watched the gas pour down the driveway from rotted lines. Oops. Replaced all the lines and got it running but was ROUGH. Did a carb full clean, and tune up. Days later, to the DMV and registered it again. Ive done something to it every weekend which has made me fall in love with this car again. Its my second car but on weekends it gets me to Yoga and around town doing errands.

I forgot about the addiction to sites like WW, JBUGS, etc.... Seems like something is delivered everyday to the house which gets me all excited. Car has always had a synchro issue with 2nd gear but will soon be getting a whole tranny rebuild by a local Aircooled Shop that is amazing here in town.

Can't help but think it was meant to be that the sale fell through because I know I would be sad not owning this car. Ive seen posts here where people waver about selling. Its also OK to take a break and do nothing, even for an extended time, until the time is right. I'm positive there will be frustrations down the road but that's part of the journey.

I look back to the day I got it and am proud of what I've done. I don't restore to stock or show, I restore for me and my taste.

I also missed this Forum and the knowledge that also seemed to wait for me. Glad to be back.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Welcome back to the samba!
Nice car! This is the best time of the year to drive them, in the USA anyway.

For fun. Have you checked out the VW challenge thread? That'll get you out and enjoying your ACVW.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

My wife made me a car cover from three cotton sheets and cut out the large VW roundel from a tee shirt and sewed on the the front of the cover. I put it on to try it for size.

Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally pulled Doug the '60 Bug out of the way-back part of the garage yesterday (5/22/2021) and was able to get him fired up with minimal effort. Feels good! Planning on a little bit of local shakedown driving today.

-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled my 1679 engine and transferred parts over to my 2180. Gen, FS, dist...

Today I'll finish up the transformation from Ok power to wild street power. Very Happy

I can say this. At 61yo. I don't have the muscle strength I used to have. Shocked
Every joint and muscle in my body is aching right now.

I can stab a stock vw engine in 15 minutes. For whatever reason.
My 2180 fights me every time I install it into the car. I have to push, wiggle, lift, cus, cus some more. Invent new cus words.....

Then there's that damn D bolt. I must have tried 40 times to get the nut started on it. Only to have the damn bolt slide into the bell-housing. Crawl under the car push the bolt back in place and try again, over and over and over.

Boyrcr420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

-After owning this car for 12 years I got the windshield wipers working. Bench tested the motor which was a 6 vt. Bosch. Cleaned up the assembly, replaced bushings, arms, etc and running with a resistor in my '66. Pretty much guaranteed we will not see any more rain now, lol.

Also replaced my 9 pin WW switch because I crossed something and fried it. But local shop sold me a used one for $25 and OEM so win win.
Jeece
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I drove it! Half a gas tank! Very Happy I know I annonced I would have it two weeks ago, but our local DMV-equivalent wanted an appraisal (a recent one, by the buyer), so it took some more time to actually transfer ownership. It was made official this week, but my uncle wanted to sort some stuff out beforehand though.

Here are some first pictures I took last week, more detailed ones will follow, as I plan to do a few somethings to it during the summer. Nothing major.

20210507_153533 by JC Raymond

20210507_153523 by JC Raymond

Again, not a fan of the body kit (and the crooked rear tail lights!), the diamond-plate has been added to hide some rust a few years ago. The wheels though! Exclamation
Boyrcr420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

My Sun Visors have always been in pretty poor shape so today I made some covers from Red Vinyl. I'm not the best sewer but it did the trick and like how it ties in some interior red.

Funny, in the process I realized I probably have mismatched visors since passenger and driver are different shapes unless that's normal, but probably not. I imagine PO scavenged them but that's ok. Used the same material for a shift boot but not 100% happy with it so may redo that.

How nice is it to work on something like an interior detail for once rather than fixing something??!
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Made a Spring Tour with my Pearl white 61

Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Had the Little Puppy (Finn, our 5-year-old collie) with me in the Branford Memorial Day Parade, Monday, May 31st, 2021. That is Moogie32's '63 Ghia right behind us. This photo is by Diane Louise, a Facebook friend from town. It was an honor to be a part of our town's remembrance of those who've given their lives for our freedom.

-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today I was driving back from the east side of salt lake city, and hit 60k miles on the odometer. I've owned the car for a few years, but before that it hasn't been driven since 1973. I still have the plates with the registration tags. It was fun, with a new engine I'm sure Opal will be a great addition.

67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I love this forum! Nice work to everyone. This week was not directly Bug related but during my wife’s mandatory spring cleaning I found my father’s secret hiding spot for the original backup lights. Sooooooo, I cleaned them up, tested them and put them on the car where I had put the reproductions I bought. Now the reproductions are on the front as driving lights (more for show). A couple of yellow LED bulbs and I’ll be all set. I’ll post a picture soon. Good luck on your projects everyone!

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Sold my 67 to a great family in San Diego, Im happy I sold it them, stays in California.
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I replaced the door and hood rubber with German rubber parts from Wolfsburg West. Nice fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 303 of 317

Jump to: