Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 305, 306, 307 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Adjusted the valves. While doing so, I replaced all the adjuster stud/locknuts with new ones from WW. I did this because a few of the original studs were worn to the point where it was difficult to get a good, accurate reading with my feeler gauge. All new, all adjusted and everything is working great.

I also checked and filled the transaxle oil. I have a small drip from one of the gaskets on the main housing so until I get around to fixing that, I try to keep it clean and checked. All good for now.

Put the Bug in a local car show and won a recognition trophy, so I'm super excited!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Found the Key code for my door handles the other day. Got ahold of Gabe Keys and he supplied me with the correct Ignition switch and cut two keys, one key now does all the locks. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed a Hurst Trigger Shifter in the '66 Beetle. Although it shifted great with the stock shifter after replacing the shift-rod bushing and coupling, with the Hurst it is ( in the words of Linda Richman) "like buttah". Now just driving to the deli makes me all verklempt.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Found the Key code for my door handles the other day. Got ahold of Gabe Keys and he supplied me with the correct Ignition switch and cut two keys, one key now does all the locks. Very Happy

I need to ask you for a link or other contact info for this "Gabe".

Since with 955,000 miles on my '58 Baja Bug, it needs new tumblers and keys. The door handles have long since been replaced with early 60s units, and I don't know which year, and they might even not be the same. For several decades, one key worked for all 3 locks. But now the door locks won't work in the handles, although if I take them out of the handles, the key works on both doors as well as the ignition. And I'm down to one key anyway, no spare.

So I need to get hold of someone who can deal with making all 3 the same and add spare keys.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Big Bill wrote:

Since with 955,000 miles on my '58 Baja Bug, it needs new tumblers and keys. The door handles have long since been replaced with early 60s units, and I don't know which year, and they might even not be the same. For several decades, one key worked for all 3 locks. But now the door locks won't work in the handles, although if I take them out of the handles, the key works on both doors as well as the ignition. And I'm down to one key anyway, no spare.

So I need to get hold of someone who can deal with making all 3 the same and add spare keys.

Hey dusty this is Gabes e-mail address, [email protected] he does great work this isnt the first time I have used him. If you can get the codes like I did he can do it correctly for a fair price. After sending him an e-mail I had a response and had the switch and keys within a week. He is also a vendor on the Samba a good guy. Hope this helps.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Big Bill wrote:

Hey dusty this is Gabes e-mail address, [email protected] he does great work this isnt the first time I have used him. If you can get the codes like I did he can do it correctly for a fair price. After sending him an e-mail I had a response and had the switch and keys within a week. He is also a vendor on the Samba a good guy. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Bill. I'll contact him.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled the motor with my wife and kids so we can install a new wiring harness.

jaysurfs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Purchased my first VW since 2001. Feels good to get back into it. The seller swore it ran a year ago the last time he tried it...Sure it did buddy. Carb clogged up with gunk. Gas was deconposing back to pregistoric state. Gas is coming out and new lines put in. I wanta drive the dam thing before I strip it down to rebuild.

Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Painted my replacement regulator cover black instead of the standard (zinc?) plated finish. Looks more original now. Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Teehoovee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Teehoovee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

oldcarsguitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Installed a Hurst Trigger Shifter in the '66 Beetle. Although it shifted great with the stock shifter after replacing the shift-rod bushing and coupling, with the Hurst it is ( in the words of Linda Richman) "like buttah". Now just driving to the deli makes me all verklempt.

I recently bought a VW Thing with this shifter (first VW with one) and was totally amazed. I actually said the same thing when I came back from the test drive to the seller "Drives like buttah! A game changer!"
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This week I bled the brake fluid and replaced one of rear wheel cylinders.

Turns out after replacing one rear wheel cylinder because it had been leaking, the other one just failed as well. One side of the cylinder was seized.

I know I'll have to grease the front wheel bearings sometime soon, just not looking forward to it. Is it a very time consuming job? This is my first Beetle.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Just an fyi, when replacing 1 cylinder its wise to replace them all , even the master as well...
Old ones give up.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Thanks man, the other set of brakes seem to be working fine. I adjusted the shoes on all 4 wheels, bled the system completely with fresh fluid, and I'm keeping an eye on the drums every time I drive for any leaks.

I know myself, and like other owners on this site, if I fix one thing I am tempted to do preventive "fixes" on about ten other somehow related items. That's kind of a slippery slope I'm not willing to go down right now. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have a working emergency brake just in case!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

EM brake is a great solution....I forgot about that.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Both in storage the last three years. Bought a lift to store them at home and be able to work on our vw’s.

70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled my 1961´s starter motor. It still works well but needs a brush up:

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed Toyota Koito H4 Headlights. Next I am rewiring the Toyota harness to integrate with the VW. That way I get use their relays and plugs.
Buscowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Gave the Bosch 019 a freshen up.

1970 FI Auto Squareback
1999 T4 Transporter 2.5 TDI Reimo

http://www.youtube.com/@BuscowboyClassics

https://www.instagram.com/buscowboy/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 305, 306, 307 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 306 of 317

Jump to: