Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

I would like to introduce to you my 1967 Beetle convertible, Rebecca (Becky when her top is down and ready for fun!). Until I bought her, she had spent her entire life in Albuquerque, and was very original. I completely restored her, starting in 2017 (just finished, fully, in December of 2023), and I wanted to present her here to the 67 Posse for review on how originally correct she is, what might still need to be done (I know this is like walking into shark infested waters with steak strapped to my legs, but I do want to make her as off the show room floor as possible - although I drive her regularly!).

I have a binder of her history, and know the following. She began her life out of Osnabrueck on 25 October 1966. She was delivered to San Antonio, and made her way to Imported Motors in Albuquerque. The trail picks up at the end of 1981 (with an odometer noted at 39K), when she was purchased by Elizabeth Johnson and stayed with her until her death in 2002, when Becky was quickly flipped and purchased by another longtime Albuquerque resident. I purchased her 15 years later, in 2017 (with an odometer reading of 54K), and brought her to the Washington DC area for restoration.

She had mostly original parts, and replaced the parts that were not original with NOS, restored used, or reproduction (in that order). The brightwork (with the exception of the top trim) is either original condition, rechromed, or re-anodized. Two things I did which would not have been original are I had her repainted with a Ruby Red Glasurit clear coat (for my own ease) and I put on SB-12 headlight rims (which I really like!).

Here she is from the outside with her top up. The top has been replaced with vinyl and original coconut fiber (which was hard to find, and, unfortunately, slightly too thick). The rims are NOS with the type 1 par number, the bumpers are replated originals. The headlight rims are SB-12s, although the originals I replaced them with were not. The running boards are reproductions (Wolfsburg West), although the trim is re-anodized original. I have NOS running board mats I was hoping to put on the restored original running boards, but those running boards were too pitted to be salvaged, unfortunately. All of the trim is original (re-anodized). The antenna is a NOS Ward antenna from the 1960s. The door edge guards are NOS Vent Shade (original accessory). All windows are original, except for the front windshield (that windshield is an original VW windshield from the period, but after 1966). Notice the NOS fender beading is the color of the car, as original. The emblem is restored and repainted original. One mudflaps is original, the other is used.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rear shows that Becky is one of the last Beetles to have the trim above and below the rear window. The rear bumper is also re-chromed original.

Looking at the interior, the front seat covers and cushions are TMI reproductions (the foundations are reproduction), the rear seat top is a donor seat (thanks, Jos!) with a replaced fiberboard backing, but original coconut fiber cushions. The bottom is the original seat cover to the car, and contains reproduction cushions. All seat hardware was repainted original color. The headliner and header bow cover are reproductions, but everything else is original (or NOS). The shift knob is original Formula Vee. The Coconut floormats are reproduction. The parking brake boot is a NOS one year only design (see the single ridged flute). The door cards are all original, as are the front window winders (the rear ones are NOS). I reflocked the speaker mesh the original color, and installed a Sapphire VI radio with chromed plastic knobs which would be correct for this car's month.

The front seatbelts are original and rewebbed using similar material to original. The rear seatbelts are American Standard matching lobster claw from a 1971 beetle. For both I reproduced the labels to put on them.

Behind the rear seat is the original PVC material, retrimmed in correct reproduction material. One top hinge cover is NOS, while the other is reproduction. The rear seat fiberboard is reproduction, but painted with color matching from an original (I have the original, I just worry about restitching original material onto it). The rear rubber strap is NOS (the hook is new). Note the vinyl covered convertible headliner nails - there are 6 of them total. One is original, the others were reproduced.

Under the seats are original insulation (and kickboards), a NOS regulator, and an original battery case (containing a LiFePo battery & monitor)

Turning to under the bonnet, the original (repaired/restored) wire cover covers a restored speedometer (reset to where the original speedometer was), the Sapphire VI radio, and the original matching speaker (restored). The heater tubes are reproductions, as is the trunk liner, and labels (washer, paint, and gas tank) - all other parts are original or NOS. The tire is an original Continental, date coded to 1971 (I believe). The jack is original to the car, restored. I ensured, when painted, that the odd (there is a thread on this) embossed numbers on the side (9459 407)

I also spread out some of the most specific documents for this car, including
* Binder of the history of the car, before I owned it
* August 1966 instruction manual (NOS)
* 1967 Accessories pamphlet
* "What year is it?" pamphlet
* Volkswagen Distributors and Dealers, August 1966
* Fair Exchange pamphlet
* 1967 Beetle pamphlet
* Improted Motors tri-fold folder
* 2 Imported Motors keyrings (one with original keys)
* Imported Motors car history notebook
* Original Volkswagen for a Day card from Imported Motors
* Seven Mysteries of the VW sunvisor cover
* Reproduction window sticker
* Reproduction temporary New Mexico license plate (copied from a 1966 original)
* Original complete tool kit in original vinyl tool kit case
* Correct Continental VW stamped fan belt in display holder.

Going to the front, the bumper and rear, the bumpers are rechromed originals:

Looking underneath, the floorpans are solid, original and repainted. The heater channels are original (repainted correctly body color)

This engine is original to the car and completely restored with date coded parts (such as the coil). The lower air handler bracket is a used original, as is the bolt and nut. The engine tin was repainted, and stenciled as original (the stencils were on the original) for 12V, and M610 on the back. The engine is still 1500 and was rebuilt on my watch with NOS pistons and cylinders, as well as VW crankshaft. The intake manifold was repainted as original. The carburetor is restored from LaneRussell. Notice the valve clearance decal on the back is a reproduction, for .004". This car did not come with a fuse holder between the coil and reverse lights. I had the reverse lights wires routed according to VW. Notice the extremely rare engine lid lock dust cover! Bill May will be disappointed I had to take that off of a bus engine lid lock. Wink The muffler is restored and original to the car.

Here she is with her top down, ready for some fun

So - what is incorrect, or what else can I do to make her more originally correct? Are there other pictures you would like or need to see?

The following are the only new/reproduction items on the car:
1 mudflap brackets -new/reproduction
Muffler install kit, HJS (German), New
NEW: VACUUM HOSE (2ft)
NEW: Front license plate clamps
NEW: Paint code sticker
NEW: BOSCH coil sticker
NEW: SWF Wiper Blade refills
NEW carpet set
NEW Continental fan belt
NEW convertible top chrome trim (3 pieces)
NEW (reproduction) .004" valve clearance sticker
NEW oil change kit
NEW top boot (I have original, but it is stained)
NEW seat pad set (coconut fibers)
NEW (2) chrome spray paint (L91)
NEW (9) gray black spray paint (L43)
NEW fresh air engine tin grommets (2)
NEW preheat tube engine tin grommets (2)
NEW Exhaust tip installation kit (2)
New BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER PLUG
NEW transaxle mounted fuel filter holder (with fuel filter)
NEW Oil filler seal
NEW 4 narrow whitewall tires
NEW window regulator slide bushings (2)
NEW Pre-heat tubes (2) (cardboard)
2ft NEW green 5mm brake hose (to be painted blue)
NEW cloth covered vacuum hose (9ft) 3mm (?)
NEW Carpet binding (for rear carpet)
NEW Convertible top padding kit at Lim's (with coconut fiber pad)
NEW gas tank to body foam seal
NEW: Master Kit: Exterior rubber for 1967 Beetle convertible
NEW: Wire harness for 1967 Sedan and convertible
NEW 1 yard by 54" of off-white vinyl crush [for wrapping the c-pillars] and headliner nails
NEW headliner nails (5)
NEW Lithium phosphate battery (with connectors)
NEW Lithium battery monitor
NEW Belmetric cloth covered fuel hose (5’)
NEW convertible top hinge cover [used passenger one, paint white, insert clip] (1)
NEW Element 50 fire extinguisher
REPRODUCTION K profile key blanks (2)
NEW: 36 Body molding mounting clips (just a few needed for driver’s rear panel)
NEW: Drivers arm rest from Wolfsburg West (only used chrome strip)
NEW: Fuel Breather hose retaining clips from Wolfsburg West
NEW dash clip boots (10)
NEW dash clips (10)
NEW Rear seat strap bracket
New MANIFOLD HEAT RISER INSULATION
NEW Pacific parts international coupling kit (gearshift)
NEW Front shift rod bushing
NEW shift bushing clip
NEW shift rod bushing
NEW: AIR HEAT TUBE, 50MM
NEW: HTNG PIPE 900MM LONG, 26MM
NEW: CLIP PREHEAT HOSE (2)
NEW: DOOR PNL CLIP (25)
NEW: PAINT L43 GREY BLK 12OZ (3)  - interior
NEW: D/P CLP SLS (56)
NEW: PAINT L91 CHROME COLORED, 12OZ  - wiper/bumper supports
NEW: LATE B/MOLD CLIP KIT 67
NEW: TRUNK LINER, 61-67, WW
NEW: CARPET NAILS (PACK OF 10)
front hood/bonnet emblem clips
NEW pair of seat pad paperboard foundations. 
NEW 3 pieces of 1m x 1.5m felt padding/wadding. 
NEW front bow seal at Lim's
NEW brake master cylinder plug
NEW running boards [did not use trim]
NEW crankshaft
speedometer cable (original metal collar used)
fresh air hose clamps (2) for use with upper part of the fan shroud
Windshield washer tube
Door clips (WW)
Circlips for door check
Fuel sending unit seal
Male/female terminals for wires (reverse lights)
Gas tank cap cork seal
Hood handle seals
37 bulb for emergency flasher switch
Mounting washers for license plate mounting (rear)
Vinyl top custom made
Header bow cover (WW): white
Paper clip/clamp for holding rip of wire cover
Reverse light harness
Upholstery nails (with flat white vinyl)
Felt for rear glove box padding
Clutch cable guide/bowden tube
TMI Front Seat covers
Mini-Blade fuse holder & fuse for reverse lights
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

The car appears to be very original.
Nice work over all.

If I were to critique any thing it would be in the image below.

The original inner fender weld nuts appear to be replaced with a flat threaded flange nut. The original nuts would be "weld nuts."

Other than that. The car will turn heads every time you have it on the road.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

WOW!!!! HOLY MOTHER-OF-PEARL!! Shocked Incredible job, Harry! You've achieved near perfection on it! ...Let me catch my breath, while looking at the photos..

The one thing that popped out to me as being 'not quite original' was the vinyl heater outlet surrounds on the footwell carpet. Nicely done, otherwise! The sun visors appear to have their original screws completely missing from both ends at the pivot shaft. Are these repops?

The only 2 additional things that I can see on first look that are not *exactly* as the factory would've had it - are in the 'under the front hood' area. And this is really nit picking deep! The 2 paper hoses going up to the dash vent would have whatever color the car was painted to be over-sprayed onto those 2 hoses by the factory. The trunk hood/bonnet/frunk mounting bolts and washers were painted the color of the car as well.

Outstanding job on the interior, seats and panels and top! Your diligence and attention to detail shows throughout this fine example!

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

The original inner fender weld nuts appear to be replaced with a flat threaded flange nut. The original nuts would be "weld nuts."

If you look closely at that photo, the correct original nuts are there. They're just reversed in location. The round shaped one should be in upper location, the rectangular one in lower position as original. They both appear to have come loose off their original tack welds, and not re-tacked into their respective places. This'll work fine (as pictured), just not 100% original- if that's what you're striving for.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
The one thing that popped out to me as being 'not quite original' was the vinyl heater outlet surrounds on the footwell carpet.

That's interesting - and I wondered about that ever since I got the carpet. Do you have pictures of original surrounds, by any chance? I believe I had trouble finding adequate pictures I could for sure say showed "original."

67conv wrote:
The sun visors appear to have their original screws completely missing from both ends at the pivot shaft. Are these repops?

I didn't think so, and the shape matched the rest of the car when I got it.
But now you have me questioning it. I'll take a look. Do you have pictures of an original?

67conv wrote:
The 2 paper hoses going up to the dash vent would have whatever color the car was painted to be over-sprayed onto those 2 hoses by the factory. The trunk hood/bonnet/frunk mounting bolts and washers were painted the color of the car as well

Really? I assumed, when I replaced the hoses, that was overspray from an exterior respray it had years ago! I may have to put those originals back on! As for the bolts and washers - that is good to know (I can't believe I missed that)! I can fix that, as well!
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

If you look closely at that photo, the correct original nuts are there. They're just reversed in location. The round shaped one should be in upper location, the rectangular one in lower position as original. They both appear to have come loose off their original tack welds, and not re-tacked into their respective places. This'll work fine (as pictured), just not 100% original- if that's what you're striving for.

Awesome information from both of you! I can move them, although at this point I may not be able to tack weld them. Perhaps I can reproduce a tack weld cold...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

The only defect I see is that my name is not on the title document!
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

I did want to really thank the incredible multitude of people (including a number in the 67 Posse) who sold me (or just sent me!) parts for Becky over the years. I am incredibly impressed by the knowledge of the folks in this group (especially those who have written published books about Beetles!). You are all such a great community.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

So the '67 Mafia wants to know if you have the original clear plastic protective cap on the decklid latch.

If not, sell the car. Twisted Evil
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
So the '67 Mafia wants to know if you have the original clear plastic protective cap on the decklid latch.

If not, sell the car. Twisted Evil

Ha ha ha! Whew, I'm safe! Yes, take a look at the top of the engine pic. Bill would have been happy. Wink
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

I stand corrected on your sun visors! In your picture, they are flipped "up", in the non-use position. The a-fore mentioned screws wouldn't be showing in this position! Very Happy

When flipped down, in the 'use' position, the screws would be showing as seen in the picture below. Otherwise, the overall shape and appearance of your visors look original, not aftermarket. See photo:

Here are a couple shots of the plastic oem heater surrounds:

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:

Very interesting! Do you know if they still reproduce those?
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

A facebook friend noted the 12V sticker should be above the door limiter, although my research showed under the check rod. Thoughts on which one might be right? Perhaps they are both right, just depended on the shift?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
A facebook friend noted the 12V sticker should be above the door limiter, although my research showed under the check rod. Thoughts on which one might be right? Perhaps they are both right, just depended on the shift?

Odd.
I just checked all three of my 67's and two have the 12v decal above the check rod and one has it below.

The two with the decal above the check rods are og paint.
The one with the decal below the check rod has been repainted in the jamb. But it is an og decal that was tapped off before it was painted.

Note: All these cars are sedans, not verts.

This is gonna be fun to see what comes of the placement of that decal.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

That Bug looks great. Alls I can think of is for you to wear period correct clothing when in the car.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
67conv wrote:

Very interesting! Do you know if they still reproduce those?

As far as I know nobody has ever reproduced these heater surrounds. At least not as they were from the factory. The aftermarket pile kits or German square weave sets have both just used a generic binding down there from whoever makes them, whether vinyl or cloth.

However - W.W. has recently began using a more 'authentic looking' heater vent surrounding in their kits. But, they absolutely will NOT sell the new plastic reproductions separately. You must buy an entire new complete kick panel x2 if you want them. ($$!) Usually, that original surround plastic is about the only thing that survives from an original trashed carpet being ripped out for a replacement. Nobody ever thought to save them for transferring to a new replacement carpet and the 'baby got tossed out with the bath water' as they say. You might find them still remaining a car being parted out. Millions were produced during the 60s!

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
That Bug looks great. Alls I can think of is for you to wear period correct clothing when in the car.

Or maybe a scantily clad hippy chick.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
zerotofifty wrote:

Or maybe a scantily clad hippy chick.

You must have missed the first line in Harry's story....
"I would like to introduce to you my 1967 Beetle convertible, Rebecca (Becky when her top is down and ready for fun!)."
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

Sure, but we just have top down pics of the 1967 Beetle convertible, not Rebecca.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Albiebac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I make my 1967 Ruby RedBeetle Convertible more original? Reply with quote

Very impressive attention to detail, next level, as are the replies finding the ever so subtle things off.
Clearly your motor has run out of oil, I don't not see any oil drops. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: