Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filter
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradyy02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel filter Reply with quote

Is there a timeframe when to change your fuel filter? Or do you guys just go by how it looks
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

I presume you mean the plastic aftermarket filter we always tell folks to get out of the engine bay?
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

They're cheap. Every year with the tune up

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:

^^^^^^^
THIS

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bradyy02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:

Alright thank you
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

Bradyy02 wrote:
6T5 square wrote:

Alright thank you

Too many variables for a one size fits all answer. Is the car driven every day? Is it stored inside? Exposed to salt or chemicals? How often are you on dirt or gravel roads? Are you using ethanol rated hoses? If money ain’t a problem then change them all the time. I don’t and I can get 3 or more years on a filter but if you take into consideration the above and can do a proper visual inspection you’ll be ahead of the curve. Another school of thought says if the tank is clean and the sock OEM filter in place then add on plastic filters are unnecessary. Of course I did a new tank with sock and add on filter because it’s like belt and suspenders. If that ain’t enough run the OEM fuel pump it has a filter too.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

I don't run a fuel filter on my 1970, and that also get used to drag a harrow around a horse arena.

My 1971 has an 1835cc engine with a single Weber 40DCNF and I read something like 40 years ago that the Weber idle jets were small, so I use an all-metal gas filter between its mechanical fuel pump and the Weber.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

The Factory Fuel filter in the owner's manual in my 64 Beetle says to clean he screen every 3,000 miles. See the link below.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/64bugowners/page_84.jpg

Note; that about 1971 VW stopped putting the filter in the fuel pump discharge to the carburetor and that's when VW parts departments were authorized to start selling plastic fuel filters. I was a Dealer line mechanic at that time, a little later I was in Unit Repair. We saw a lot of fires in those days and the biggest problem was the pressed in fuel tube to the carburetor always popping out, same true for the pressed in fuel tube to the discharge side of the fuel pump. We used to slightly bend the tube and knurl it, then epoxy it and press it back onto the carburetor and fuel pump. The other fire hazard was the fuel line that goes through tin and out over the transaxle. There is a rubber gromet the fuel line goes through the tin and the gromet which is made out of rubber gets hard and cracks and falls apart leaving the fuel line to rub against the tin right over #3 exhaust port to get sawed in half. Never saw a melt down of a plastic filter. Saw some fuel hose leaks though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: