Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Avenger build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took some pics. Not alot of progress.....but I promised them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what ate up most of my summer...

xirxious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Ther was a 69 Firebird for sale near me for $2k. It sold in about 30 sec flat. I have a 70 Formula thats in storage, but I think I'm looking for a gen 1 convertable..or an Avenger lol.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress pics. The chassis is ready for the body...once I fill up the tranny and slap on the old tires.

Power windows designed:

Oh...and a while back there was some discussion about using the foam in a can to make molds. Someone said it worked. I just want to confirm that it does. Here are some little domes I built over some access holes. Apparently this version of the tranny, the hydraulic slave cylinder, and the shock towers require the body to be clearenced. The prior owner just cut the holes...must have been drafty. I taped the holes over with duct tape and wax paper from the outside, then sprayed on a bunch of foam. Once cured I shaped it with a hack saw blade (much better than a little angle grinder!). I laid up the glass today, and tomorrow I will enlarge the holes a little bit from the back side and use a wire wheel to eat out the foam.
DirtGhost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 69 Firebird . But the avenger looks better. Nice work on all the parts. I am sure it is going to looks so good when you are finished with it.
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure looks like a 69 Camaro
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtGhost wrote:
Nice 69 Firebird . But the avenger looks better. Nice work on all the parts. I am sure it is going to looks so good when you are finished with it.

That's a '69 Camaro. The Firebird had different side vents and a much different front end, among other differences. Smile

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avenger's looking great, and the Corvette-style rear clip will look great. Any ideas for the interior besides the Lotus seats? My suggestions include VDO Cockpit Black gauges and a Grant GT steering wheel with black spokes and either wood or black rim, with a matching gearshift knob and black loop-pile carpet.

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DirtGhost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this wheel here is awesome

it is a grant
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any ideas for the interior besides the Lotus seats

Well it will have a full length console. Currently the stock dash/console ends at about the stock shifter location. Since it is all moved back 8" I am building a full length console which will hide the e-brake handle a little better.

I already have the gauges....VDO cockpit white. I got a smokin deal on them so thats what they will be. I am probably going to use some toggle type switches for everything (hatches, windows, wipers, headlights, etc etc).

Black carpeting on the floor and in the back area. Most likely a Flaming River tilt column as well.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it can be done......

Tonight I re-installed the Avenger body on the chassis...by MYSELF.

Not an easy task....but made easier with my Harbor Freight ceiling hoist and some straps. It was a little nerve racking while the body balanced 4 feet in the air...but it settled down nicely.

Of course I failed to remember to re-fill the tranny first. Oh well....it just would have been alot easier.
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it's shaping up to be a nice car, and the interior sounds nice. Any speakers, metal rub strips or luggage tiedowns in the rear area? I know that's been done on Fiberfab Jamaicans many a time, but considering that the area behind the seats and under the rear window on an Avenger goes undecorated all too often, that might be a good idea. It would also give the inside of the car that high-dollar exotic ambiance the rest of it has.

OG
scarybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Well it can be done......

Tonight I re-installed the Avenger body on the chassis...by MYSELF.

Not an easy task....but made easier with my Harbor Freight ceiling hoist and some straps. It was a little nerve racking while the body balanced 4 feet in the air...but it settled down nicely.

Of course I failed to remember to re-fill the tranny first. Oh well....it just would have been alot easier.

PIC PLEASE!! Very Happy You amaze me at how quickly you go through these projects, with such great looking results.

'67 Manx Clone
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast? Not anymore. I use to get 1 done per year...but not anymore. My 15 year old son is in high school and between his 30 or so soccer games this fall, and now his basketball games & practices (2 hour practices 4x per week and 2 games per week...it doesn't give much time for getting dirty & cleaned up) I barely get a night or two a week out there.

Snuck out tonight and started firming up the chassis and body connection. Had to re-route the hydraulic clutch line cause the body sat right on it. Also apparently forgot to drill a few holes out as well. Oh well.

Once I get the body firmly attached I will start the bodywork...getting the doors, hood, and rear hatch aligned.

I was to chicken to snap any pics when I was getting them together, but here is one from when I took the body off originally.

carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:

This is what ate up most of my summer...

Your summer is really worth spending on this one. You got a nice looking Camaro. Wink
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish it was mine (the Camaro).....its actually my brother-in-laws.

I agreed to strip, do the bodywork, and paint it in exchange for him driving to upstate New York to pick this up for me:

I think I got the short end of the stick....
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I wish it was mine (the Camaro).....its actually my brother-in-laws.

I agreed to strip, do the bodywork, and paint it in exchange for him driving to upstate New York to pick this up for me:

I think I got the short end of the stick....

Nice Aztec 7. The missing windshield is out of a Lamborghini Miura (seriously), so that will take beaucoup dollars to replace. Fiberfab did reproduce them at one time, and you may be able to find one with diligent searching. The nearest size and shape to the Miura windshield that I can think of is the 1975-79 Chrysler Cordoba/Dodge Magnum XE, and that *might* be made to work if you modified the cowl, dash and windshield surround.

BTW, I have the build manual for the Aztec 7 on my computer as JPG images of each page, and you can PM me for it rather than tracking down a manual on eBay if you don't have one and want or need one.

OG
Levi Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aztec 7???
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The missing windshield is out of a Lamborghini Miura (seriously), so that will take beaucoup dollars to replace. Fiberfab did reproduce them at one time, and you may be able to find one with diligent searching.

Actually the windshield is not "missing' at all. Its wrapped up tight in layer upon layer of bubblewrap in my walk in closet in my bedroom. It has never been installed....brand new.

I would have never bought the car without the windshield....even for the price I got it (stole it?) for.

Thanks for the offer on the manual...but I have the original build manual, the original bill of sale, the original packing receipts, and receipts for just about everything. The folder I got with t car was about 2" thick with stuff....including a title.
new-n-old-vdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that car is way cool! i dont evn think ive ever seen one
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent several hours over the weekend just fitting one door.

I had to fabricate a system that incorporates the corvette door handles which push down when lifted, and the VW catches that require a lifting motion. My prior method worked perfectly until I put the window in and then the window would hit the linkage in its travels.

The new method utilizes a pivoting point welded to the catch side of the doorframe, a lever, a custom threaded rod, and a cable. Lots of little parts to build and install. The good news is I just have to replicate it for the other door. which should eliminate the time aspect.

Hopefully this week I can duplicate them and remove everything for some paint, and reinstall on the other side. Then the front & rear hatches need to be installed....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: