Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Avenger build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's coming along great, and after the Avenger's done, how about a buildup thread on the Aztec 7?

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Deserter GT was here first so technically it would be next in line. It really depends on the timing. If I can start, and finish, the Deserter within the warm weather I will go with that.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting some more time out in the garage. Its nice to be motivated again.

Here is what I have been working on. These darn doors are gonna be the death of me. I finally have the left one working so the right should be alot easier. It opens & closes well. The window sits in the opening good. I need to fiberglass a lip around the door frame to add a weatherstripping too. It seems like I bust my butt and get only something small done.

Here is the original door latch design. Remember...this is just early fabrication. Its not tidy or trimmed up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It opened the door well, but the rod got in the way of the window. I had to fabricate the little pieces that the rod went into and the small metal part that is attached to the door catch to make the downward action of the handle lift the catch up. I also added some guide tubes for the cables that is plastic hydraulic clutch line. Its not in these pictures.

So...onto design two. This design keeps the whole mechanism towards the outside of the door and away from the glass. Again, its not detailed...just early fabrication.

So tonight I made the right side. I will fit the door tomorrow night. I plan to finish the inside of the door area and paint the steel support structures a silver for some added detail. Everything on the doors was fabricated and primed tonight for final detailing tomorrow.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some nice work, I really appreciate the effort that represents. Makes me a little sad that it won't be seen probably at all when you finish the interior dorr panels. Maybe a velcro access panel for "easy maintenace" so you can show it off a bit. Wink

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
braddieselproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an gt12 and the door was a real pain, from what I see you are using the 66 window and wind wing. I plan to use the RX7.
These car look very when done I gather all the pics I can find for inspiration and motivation, check my pics in the gallery.
Good work so far
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to stop buying stuff! Scanning EBAY and a brand new set of VDO Vision series gauges comes up. 6 gauges, senders, etc for $120 including shipping.

Great...now I have TWO sets of gauges for my Deserter project. A set of VDO white and a set of VDO Vision.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to sell a set? Rolling Eyes

Not that I have the $$... just a question... Laughing

'60's Spatz Buggy body on '74 Chassis (Budget Build)
'69 Bug (Baja-to-be partial daily)
'10 Silverado (My daily)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 gallon (alright....not really a gallon anymore) of Rage Gold spread. Good thing I ordered TWO more!

Its really awazing how much these old bodies can twist and shift. The hood panel, which is pretty heavy & thick, matches up for about 6" along the gap with the main body. Every where elese there is a dip or a rise. I have a feeling I will be spreading all 3 gallons, and of course sanding off most, of the Rage.

The doors fit pretty well in the front and back, but the passenger side sticks out pretty proud of the lower rocker.

The rear hatch is a nightmare. I think it might have shifted significantly when the new rear lights were grafted in. The high points on the rear hatch match the high points on the body, but thats about it.

Lots and lots more of filling and sanding with the long board are in my future.
aztecGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Very nice work Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you for all your explanations on your Avenger.
I'm busy tu rebuilt an Aztec GT II in Belgium.
Best regards,
Etienne
http://etiennetinant.blogspot.com
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got some primer and guide coat on the Avenger. This is the first time I have used a guide coat. I like it.

Now just need some time to sand.....
baja maxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow your avenger is freakin sweet wow what a car
baja maxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow your avenger is freakin sweet wow what a car cant wait to see your paint
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's come a long way - and looking good!

Sooo... Gulf paint scheme?

One of these days you'll have to give us a run-down on your paint booth set-up Jeff. You sure turn out some nice cars out of there!

I'm contemplating doing some of my own paint work on my Deserter (at least the frame) instead of farming it out. The place I was planning on having it done recently did some insurance work for me and I wasn't all that impressed - lots of very fine "dust" in the finish coat - and this is in a paint booth? I want to do a single stage gloss black, and not going to be "buffing it out" afterwards - especially on a frame.

Jeff
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

No Gulf scheme this time. I settled in on yellow with a 15" wide black stripe. I really liked the Gulf style but I am not confident enough in my taping abilities. In fact this is only the second time I tried laying a stripe. I settled in on 15" due to the layout of the rear lights, the license area, and those front air intakes. I thought of dual stripes but it didn't really work with all those parts.

My paint booth is not impressive at all. It fact it would probably make most people cringe. The same for my paint work. Its average....nothing more.

I did install a pretty good sized fan to help with the flash times. You can see it buried in the wall in a picture or two I think. I used to use just one little window fan and I found that it just didn't get all the mist out fast enough. I now use that fan to exhaust the mist and a window fan (both filtered) to get some fresh air in.

I use Blue tarps all around and mist the walls and floor to keep the dust down. I also just bought a pretty decent air dryer as I was just relying on the little filters you screw on your gun. Depending on the weather conditions they get overwhelmed pretty quick. I also just ran some long copper lines to help get the water out of the air.

The weather is a factor too. In the winter the air is nice and dry and there are no little bugs flying around. But its of course very cold. I do have a nice heater that I crank up and with the heat of the compressor it stays warm enough. In the summer the air is more humid, flash times are quick, and there are little bugs everywhere.

And yes...I am careful with the spark/fumes and the fumes/proper respirator issues (yes Murzi...I use an isocyanate approved mask ) . Not everyone would agree with my theories but they have worked for 8 or so paint jobs.

We will see how it goes tonight. I am spraying the stripe tonight and then taping it off and spraying the base/clear tomorrow during the day.
baja maxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when is she going into the paint booth also can you take pics id like to see how its done
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the black this evening after dinner. Then the yellow tomorrow morning. It should be done by tomorrow afternoon.

I am charging the batteries now for my camera.
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he has pictures in his Bradley build pages, or maybe it was the Dune Buggy.
baja maxx wrote:
when is she going into the paint booth also can you take pics id like to see how its done

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighting is absolutely terrible so the real color is tough to see. Its a performance yellow.

I am amazed at how terrible of a painter I really am. Lots of little issues that I need to to care of. Its a single stage paint but can be cleared so I need to get to some wet sanding and then scuff and clear. That won't be until next week. The best parts are the roof and doors.

I keep forgetting my paint gun settings and it messes me all up. Last time it was too little paint...this time too much. Oh well. I laid plenty down so I can wet sand it down and clear it up.
aztecGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: door latch Reply with quote

Hi,
Very nice project. Great job.
I research some door latch for my Aztec GT project. Gullwing doors. Do you have some idea for me ?
Best regards,
Etienne
Cujo3131
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET!!!!!!

Love the yelllo and Black combo!!!!

Cujo31

http://www.greatlakesgraphics.net/intro.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: