Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

my first VW engine build is my stroker 2110.I knew I needed a better tranny.I was running a 1962 4.37 R&P that i ground out the bellhousing to fit the bigger/newer 200mm flywheel.I have 31 inch tires in the rear.It worked ok but 3rd and 4th gear were not ideal.I purchased a 67 and a 68 swing axle long axle short spline and a long axle long spline both 4.12 ring and pinion.I got them off a farm from under a hood in a field(40 bucks).The 68 long spline was junk(frozen solid).I used that as my practice(puzzle) box education.ALOT of people told me I couldn't build a close ratio tranny without thousands of dollars in specialized tools,etc,etc and I quote "u cant Hobble one together in your garage".....well guess again, I built a close ratio with 1.48 3rd gear and a 1.04 4th gear welded.I replaced all 4 synchros rings,i replaced all pinion and mainshaft bearings,both diff bearings,steel shift forks,Hardend keys,gaskets etc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

I bought the Long Enterprises transaxle rebuilders Dvd,s u will see on the tv.they R $35 bucks and they r priceless.I have an old Gene berg book on making a high performance tranny(small section in the back of the book)I also have the big Blue and orange books.I studied every video I could find on youtube,EZGZ,Vw Darrin,etc.I unfroze the 68 tranny and broke it down and learned it.I bought a good used 1.48 3rd gear,and a 1.04 4th Gear both already welded to the sleeves for $150 bucks off a buggy site on FB.I used a harbor freight press to break down the gearstacks.

Last edited by 62kellison on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

I went on shoptalkforums vw site.There is a section on transaxle rebuilds.A couple of guys answered some questions I had.excellant site.clonebug recommended the site to me about turbo info and I found the tranny section.I bought 4 new synchros,shaft bearings,diff bearings,hardend Keys off of weddle(and a gasket kit.spent about $200 bucks thru weddle.I removed and degreased(purple power from Walmart) all the gears etc.i followed every spec from the books and the DVD,s.I also drilled holes in my "clutch Hubs" per direction of gene berg for better oiling.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

heres a pic of the synchro rings,3rd and 4th gear and the old bearings.all of this was removed and replaced with the new stuff.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

Here is pics of the 2 gear stacks with all new gears synchros etc pressed on awaiting me to put it in the gear housing.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

After I pressed them into the gear housing,I cut the practice box the 68 in half.I made a starter stand out of the bellhousing and a Tranny shift jig out of the back half of it.I then put my gearstacks into the new "shift Jig" and I adjusted my shift forks per direction of the Longmire DVD,s.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

Fortunately for me both the junk transaxle and the one I was going to use the 67 and 68 both had steel shift forks in them instead of brass Very Happy
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

I then put it all into the "good" box I was going to use.I bought a assortment of used diff shims and pinion shims off of ebay.i used all the shims that were in it previously to start with.I did run a pattern check during all this with some junk lipstick from the dollar store(don't tell my 10 year old daughter I took it).I used a inch pound gauge to check my preload and a magnetic gauge you use for lifters/crank end play to check my backlash on the ring and pinion.Lucky for me EVERYTHING was in spec with all the original shims.I didn't have to change any.I cleaned my "drive axles" and the tubes.everything got all new gaskets and nuts/washers.and then paint.sorry if any pics r repeated.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

old tranny out!!!
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

1967 close ratio 1.48 3rd,1.04 4th with a 4.12 ring and pinion and hardend keys fully freshend up, plus welded gears goes in!!!...also this is a longshaft Very Happy I just gained 3 inches of width!!...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

finishing it up

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

and DONE!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

I was very nervous to put it in gear and try it.Well I can say it shifts Fantastic,its quiet as it possibly could be and the Gearing is Awesome!!!!...so stoked.i built a great tranny so far.I have 250 miles on it and its going great.All in all I got about 400 bucks invested and it was in a farm field.Plus my time..The only regrets I have are I should of put the 3.78 1st gear mainshaft,heavy duty mainshaft bearing plate and HD pinion bearing retainer plate..I didn't because I had so many people setting me up for failure I didn't want to waste anymore money.I wont ever do that again.Its not a space shuttle build going to mars.ITs a VW transaxle.I posted this here not the tranny section because its for my kit car.I am going to say the only "special tool" that I needed was for the pinion nut on the shaft.I made one out of a 12 inch long piece of black pipe.I placed it down over the shaft and drew sharpie lines on the pipe where the Teeth needed to be and cut them out with my air cutter.I got the nut loose with 2 hits from a steel punch.I put it back together and tightend it with my home made tool.And believe me I torqued it..I appreciate Joe and anyone else that helped me with my millions of questions.Dont be afraid to try this guys.People had me to the point I almost didn't attempt it.I like to do this stuff,You may choose not to.thanks for any help Sean....
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

I am sorry there is Not more pice of the side cover setup,gears being pressed on,etc.A few times I forgot my camera going to the garage.also like I said I was half expecting failure so I didn't document as much or as thoroughly as I should have.But the wife made a video of me ripping around ill post that soon.this is also with the 2110cc stroker I built recently..... Very Happy these damn vw,s are addictive!!!...Paying attention to Detail paid off.no luck involved.Now tearing it back apart,roll cage,new floors and paint this winter.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the writeup and encouragement!

Some regular guy that puts his pants on one leg at a time put it together the first time so any regular guy that take the time to learn and think his way through can fix it.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

oprn,thank you and Absolutely!!..well said and you got the point of it...thanks Sean....
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

Nicely done! Ended up a whole lot better than my first 1/2 dozen or so.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

thanks Joe!!...
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

Nobody is born knowing this stuff. Even the best started out from the beginning. In today's world of the WWW and youtube there is no reason a smart experienced mechanic can't do any job on a VW. Smart being the key word. You just have to watch out for the knuckleheads with poor reading skills, don't know the correct name for every part, and don't think you need to check things like end play, backlash, breakaway torque, Don't need no stinking jigs, etc.

Good job !!!
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I built a close ratio Tranny for my buggy Reply with quote

rayjay,absolutely!!.Alot of reading and comprehending correctly...thank you..Sean
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: