Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 LINK PIN front disc brake conversion
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: 1966 LINK PIN front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Hello , I would like to install front disc brakes on my kit car. Rear brakes are going to stay drum brakes. Do I have to change the master cylinder? I have a dual port master cylinder,where the front and rear brakes are separate from one another.
I noticed some front disc kits do not have a master cylinder. My master cylinder works fine.
Thanks
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my car that I would like to add front disc brakes. Keeping the rear drum brakes.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

That must be older than '66 because it is a link pin front end. I don't know if you will need a master cylinder, but in my opinion, the CB performance stuff is the best for the price. https://www.cbperformance.com/Disc-Brake-Kits-Link-Pin-s/119.htm Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Disc brakes will add some positive offset.....so you will be able to see the calipers which might not look as good on those spoke wheels.
Both through the spokes and also from the drivers seat.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Cool car! Model-A wire-spoked wheels? Sounds like the brake system was upgraded to the dual circuit. There used to be different part number Karmann Ghia (with disc brakes std on later models) master cylinders but I haven't seen one listed for years. Just make sure you adjust the rear drum periodically as they are not self-adjusting.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

the dual should work fine.

I'm just using the one pictured below and have no problems and no extras:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 LINK PIN front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Some very good info in this thread. Some pros and cons.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634281
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: