Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

protective cover for brake lines
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: protective cover for brake lines Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone has posted something like this before, but here goes: When I was (re) routing steel fuel line thru the tunnel in my shortened vw pan for my manx clone, I decided that it would be a good idea to "coat" it with vacuum line and secure it firmly to eliminate rattle. It worked so well I decided to do the same thing on my brake lines, for similar reasons. My lines are pretty close to the pan in a number of spots, and a more important and critical issue than an annoying rattle would be rubbing a hole in a hydraulic line. Here are some pics. I have yet to secure them with zip ties.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll probably put covers on the SS flex lines as well, as I have here in the front.

OMFGJimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes to me this seems like a grand idea the more protection you can get the better
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One down side I see is moisture getting trapped between the rubber and the steel lines and rusting them out.

64 Bug
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason C wrote:
One down side I see is moisture getting trapped between the rubber and the steel lines and rusting them out.

slice the tubing open and have the cut down so moisture will drain out....
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slit in them so that I could get them on. You can see that in the rear photo. The only way that you could get them on past the brake fittings would be to slip them on before adding the fitting and flaring, or doing it how I did and slicing the vacuum line along it's length and then cutting it to length after it was installed.

Not too worried about moisture in a car without a roof or a heater that will be operated in the Utah desert, but all of this stuff is easily removed for inspection, which will happen before any trip out into the desert. More concerned about repeated impacts by sand and small stones, which I hope these covers will help mitigate. I'll also be attaching a spring to the front SS lines, using an insulated cable clamp and the vacuum line coating, going to the wheel cylinders to keep them clear of the suspension parts. Might be overkill, but we'll see once I run it.

Here's a shot of the rolling chassis. There is a 3" lift kit, not pictured.

I don't have it installed in this picture, but you can see the brake lines just ahead of the transaxle going to where the cutting brake will be. You can also see vacuum line installed over the fuel line and the hydraulic clutch line on the LH side of the transaxle. Rear brake lines also secured to the axle tubes by billet clamps just inside of the spring plates.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: