Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar panel in the luggage rack
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panels have spotty availability but short of a custom made panel seem to be just about the only ones that will fill the hole. I have inquired about producing a custom panel, but it is not practical (read too expensive and too much to deal with.)

Please note the combined panels only produce 60 watts total for all three combined. They only maintain or top off batteries. They help with the demand I have on the batteries. My batteries are two Costco GC2s at 220Ah. This is a weekend use system. You recharge over the week with solar or, as I do, charge them back up with a smart charger at home. Then let the solar keep them floated up.

These panels MUST be on stand offs, as they will NOT fit flat on the bottom of the luggage tray. Having them on stand offs is good as it allows water under the panels and, I hope, makes the luggage tray a bit more aerodynamic. At first I did not like the idea of stand offs, but after thinking about it, I think they are good.

At $29 each, they are not the cheapest per watt today, but the fit factor is huge to me. I know you can get 60+ Watt panels for less combined money, but they do not fit.

See:
http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-System..._info.html

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At $29, that's a smokin' deal. I rarely use my luggage rack for actual storage, so adding an additional 60 watts of removable, un-visible solar capacity to my existing 127watt panel will help keep my 110ah battery topped up.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
At $29, that's a smokin' deal.....

Not so fast!

To be clear, it is $29 per panel. You need 3 panels or $87 worth. 3 panels x 20 watts = 60 watts. That is far more than a $1 per watt where the average is like 79 cents (or less) a watt on the open market

It is good you need 3 as the luggage opening is not a rectangle nor is it flat. So you need some give in the whole setup. Using 3 panels with alumimum flat stock bracing gives you a setup with some flex built in. Don't make it too ridged.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to the price for my 127watt panel, $29 is a steal!
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you end up using for the charge controller?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Sullivan wrote:
What did you end up using for the charge controller?

I use a 10 amp mppt controller from yousmart.com with the remote panel the cost is under $100 including shipping. The same controller is available from a few suppliers if you google around.

Still with the 220Ah batteries you are looking at around $400 depending on what mounting and interconnects you use (or have laying around. As seen above my panel interconnects are pure surplus store!)

rumitcu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
rumitcu wrote:
I have two 50W panels in that area with a custom mount that allows me to quickly remove each of them to be repositioned somewhere else. The panels are from Ramsond. I am assuming that the dimensions are still correct and they will still fit the cargo area.
http://www.amazon.com/Ramsond-Monocrystalline-Photovoltaic-Battery-Charging/dp/B0068WCCHS

I was planning to do a video showing them in action, but I just haven't gotten around to that in almost 2 years Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's neat.

But, you can see them from the side of the van.

I wanted stealth......

You can not see mine from the side of the van.

They maintain my golf cart batteries, but do not supply a whole lot at only 60 watts.

Is that 50 watts per panel for 100 watts or do the 2 panels combined produce 50 watts total?

The two panels together produce 100watts. I run my ARB fridge continuously at a setting of 38F from beginning of May through end of September with drives to local rivers augmenting the power input to my 170 Amp-hours of house batteries. I am going to install a MPPT charge controller this week to get 20-30% more current from the panels compared to the Morningstart PWM controller I currently have.

Regarding the stealth aspect, no one has a clue that those are solar panels since the van is so tall and I painted the sides black to blend in with all the other roof rack parts I have up top. And I built a really slick mounting system that uses Thule locking knobs so no one can walk off with the panels. When it is time to remove them to get access to the storage under the panels or to put them in the sun, I simply unluck the knob, untwist the knob, and 15 seconds later, the panel is off. And when the panel is re-mounted, it is bomber. I've driven on countless washboard roads and in crazy front/side winds and the panels don't budge at all. I'm am stoked about the mounting.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumitcu wrote:
I built a really slick mounting system that uses Thule locking knobs so no one can walk off with the panels.

Please post some detail pictures of your mounting.

My panels never are removed. I have an aux system with 200 watts of panels I can setup when parked.

Many ways to skin this cat too.....

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I use a 10 amp mppt controller from yousmart.com with the remote panel the cost is under $100 including shipping. The same controller is available from a few suppliers if you google around.

Still with the 220Ah batteries you are looking at around $400 depending on what mounting and interconnects you use (or have laying around. As seen above my panel interconnects are pure surplus store!)

how did you run the wires from luggage rack to inside?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
rumitcu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

I had to drill a hole through the roof just behind the luggage rack and in front of the poptop tent. It was the most inelegant part of the whole installation, but with a few rubber grommets, some RTV, and the protection of the fiberglass top, it has remained weatherproof. Inside the van, the wire is encased in a black plastic loom and is run along the B-pillar to behind the cabinets where my electrical connections reside.

Also that wire terminates in a bulkhead connector in the luggage rack, so I can quickly disconnect the panels and install and extension cord when moving them farther away from the van.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumitcu wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

I had to drill a hole through the roof just behind the luggage rack and in front of the poptop tent. It was the most inelegant part of the whole installation, but with a few rubber grommets, some RTV, and the protection of the fiberglass top, it has remained weatherproof. Inside the van, the wire is encased in a black plastic loom and is run along the B-pillar to behind the cabinets where my electrical connections reside.

Also that wire terminates in a bulkhead connector in the luggage rack, so I can quickly disconnect the panels and install and extension cord when moving them farther away from the van.

Thanks!

Pics would be great if available

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
rumitcu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

Thanks!

I'm going to put together a video and blog post about it, but it will be a little while before I can do so. Maybe I can pull it together this weekend.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumitcu wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

Thanks!

I'm going to put together a video and blog post about it, but it will be a little while before I can do so. Maybe I can pull it together this weekend.

rumitcu wrote:
I was planning to do a video showing them in action, but I just haven't gotten around to that in almost 2 years Smile

How many more years?

shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, please share! Wink
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
r39o wrote:

SIMPLE!

I used 12 gauge (red and black) zip cable from the surplus store (has it in reels.) It goes through a drain hole, then under the lip of the luggage rack at the roof, over to the a spot with the kink in the roof where it goes under the aluminum that holds the tent so now it is inside. I know this is hard to follow just reading. I have some pictures to post real soon....soon as I can find them, that is, as they are somewhere I can not locate quite right now.....

From there I still need to route it along the inside of the tray above the side windows, into the rear cabinet and down under the rear seat. Right now it just snakes down the B pillar, under the carpet in the middle of the van and into the under rear seat area. No pix yet as I have to do this real routing sometime.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictues from another thread where I was looking where to route the cable which is where it ended up going....http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411354

climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumitcu,

1 more vote for details of your install, a video, ow the Thule locking system works, etc.

Your setup looks very elegant; nice work!

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rumitcu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to making the walkthrough video of my solar panel mounting system that goes on top of the Westfalia luggage rack. Enjoy!

Link

Also, I created a short write-up and posted a few photos on my blog:
http://rumitcu.blogspot.com/2013/02/solar-panels-on-westfalia-luggage-rack.html
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumitcu wrote:
I finally got around to making the walkthrough video of my solar panel mounting system that goes on top of the Westfalia luggage rack. Enjoy!

Also, I created a short write-up and posted a few photos on my blog:
http://rumitcu.blogspot.com/2013/02/solar-panels-on-westfalia-luggage-rack.html

Cold beer, charged batteries, removable panels - what's NOT to like?! Very Happy

Dancing Applause

"Patrick", you should hire yourself out on weekends (for solar panel installs, or for local weather channel stuff - you're telegenic)
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: solar Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Wow, that is one of the best videos I've seen . Lot's of good info. Yes let us know how the mppt works. I have the same sun saver 10 AMP and been thinking of going to the mppt! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 21

Jump to: