Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone tell me what this wire connection is for. It is a ground on the wire bundle to the water tank…
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

This gives better perspective. It’s a black wire that comes out of the bundle about 16 inches before the water tank connector. As a ground and given its position it seems that it should go to the body somewhere behind the sidewall just as the bundle comes out of the hole to go to the water tank but I can’t remember unhooking it when I took things apart. Maybe from an earlier version of the camper and never deleted and I’ve never noticed it…
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

Theres more of that harness somewhere. Find that, and you'll figure out what that wire plugs into. Barring that, I have mine pretty tore apart while re-doing my CDH, and I can see about getting a shot of that stuff, maybe tonight.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I didn’t see the wire until I had the cabinets all back together so I can’t follow the wire back. I will try and trace it by continuity when I’m at the van next but if you figure it out that would be great!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

Like... the tank uses little probes, I see the holes are empty where the probes go. Or am I imagining things again?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

Pretty sure that is the ground for the 110 volt outlet.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Like... the tank uses little probes, I see the holes are empty where the probes go. Or am I imagining things again?

I’ve made all the probe connections at the tank and it’s all reassembled. This black wire doesn’t reach the tank. It splits off the wiring bundle 16 inches before the tank probe and pump power connector. This tank has level sender and pump internal.

This black wire would end up about at the van wall once the 4 wire tank connecter is plugged in.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Pretty sure that is the ground for the 110 volt outlet.

110v ground is the green wire beside the black wire in the photo. The wire in question (black coloured) has a red circle around it in my photo.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

Black isn't ground in a VW ..... brown is.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed that you circled the black wire. On using my phone. If you search the Samba gallery, you’ll find pictures of the sensors on the water tank, mysterious black box and the sink pump wiring.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery ground on the wire bundle to the water tank connection. Reply with quote

Here is a closeup of the mystery black ground wire (installed)on the camper wire bundle that comes out of the van left side wall for the water tank pump and level sender.

If you look close you can see it is two black wires exiting the main bundle and the come together in one female spade connector. Love to know what but bus for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: