Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I Heard about This Bus...
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: So I Heard about This Bus... Reply with quote

...when I was up in SF today for work. Got talking to this guy whose buddy back in high school (1991-1992ish) bought a deluxe for, like, $500. Had all the windows, sunroof, safaris, etc.

Now the guy told me it was like a '52 or '54 and in my mind, I'm like "Yeah, sure it was." Then I thought to ask him how big the engine lid was...and he goes to the back of my bus and says, "It was about this narrow, but it went all the way up here (meaning the beltline)." I just about fell over.

Says the motor was chromed out and that it sported a purple-ish and white paint job. This was in the Bay Area, too. Guess they used to cruise it down to Santa Cruz all the time.

Ring a bell with anyone?

Oh...and the kicker...he sold it a couple years later for $750!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was probably the blue and white one that was in the Bay Area for a long time. Long since repainted and restored.
I can't find the original thread but my lack of patience and crappy seaching skills come to mind right now.

I'm sure someone else can find it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
This was probably the blue and white one that was in the Bay Area for a long time. Long since repainted and restored.
I can't find the original thread but my lack of patience and crappy seaching skills come to mind right now.

I'm sure someone else can find it.

Is this the one you're thinking of?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the guy said it had safari windows...but maybe this pic was in a pre- or post-safari era?

That may very well be it, for all I know. Smile

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Well, the guy said it had safari windows...but maybe this pic was in a pre- or post-safari era?

That may very well be it, for all I know. Smile

it has safaris now....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way! Is that seriously the same bus!?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: