Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a VW steering wheel
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyZetec wrote:
The early euro van wheels are a direct swap to I just did mine a couple of weeks ago picket it up fo $30 looks good

That's what I have. The only thing I don't like about it is the inability to turn on/off high beams while the wheel is in straight-ahead position. The back sides of the wheel are fatter than the Vanagon wheel and impede the stalk.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
WestyZetec wrote:
The early euro van wheels are a direct swap to I just did mine a couple of weeks ago picket it up fo $30 looks good

That's what I have. The only thing I don't like about it is the inability to turn on/off high beams while the wheel is in straight-ahead position. The back sides of the wheel are fatter than the Vanagon wheel and impede the stalk.
I took a sander to it on that side/corner so it would clear. It is just foam and you can't see it when you put the wheel back.
There is a Jetta wheel in the classifieds that looks nice too, kinda similar looking and more common model in the junkyards. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1593323
Aerosport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Steering wheel swap Reply with quote

I am in the process of doing this steering wheel swap and I noticed that the play in the steering column at the top where it goes through the ignition switch housing bearing is quite a lot the column moves around an 1/8 - 1/4 inch. Is this normal or does that top bearing in the switch housing need to be replaced? Just wondering if others who did this swap experienced the same amount of play and what would be considered a normal amount of play for this area?

'87 Westy GL - "Stanagon", 2wd WBX 4 speed
15" Rhein alloys, GW 1.5" lift springs & Fox shocks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andymcc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel swap Reply with quote

Aerosport wrote:
I am in the process of doing this steering wheel swap and I noticed that the play in the steering column at the top where it goes through the ignition switch housing bearing is quite a lot the column moves around an 1/8 - 1/4 inch. Is this normal or does that top bearing in the switch housing need to be replaced? Just wondering if others who did this swap experienced the same amount of play and what would be considered a normal amount of play for this area?

That sounds dreadful. There should be a nylon bush on the column before the lock housing is fitted which takes up any slack between the bearing and column. There may slop in the bearing too in which case renew the housing. There should be no appreciable play at the wheel.

BTW, thumbs up here for the Eurovan wheel:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: