Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Key in Ignition info (12v supply for radio)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Key in Ignition info (12v supply for radio) Reply with quote

Just an FYI thread. I am installing a new radio, and I want it to turn on whenever the key is in the ignition. Here is a picture of the fusebox.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photo was taken by removing 'the one screw' and dropping the entire fusebox.

This post by tencentlife is very useful too.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2311290#2311290

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this tip! The key in ignition stereo is exactly what I wanted - the ability to have the engine off and use the stereo, but not the worry of the factory setup where you can walk away and the stereo is draining the battery. Perfect and took 10 mins to run a jumper. Beautiful picture.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, great picture. This mod is one of the best ones I've found for simplifying the departure/arrival process.
I used the grey wire from the ignition switch option.

I also plumbed in a little toggle switch that allows me to also run the stereo without the key in the ignition.
We use it a lot for times like dashing into the store when someone is still in the van or when stopped at overlooks.
It allows me not to break my "keys always with me" protocol.

I've left it on once or twice and not had a problem with the batteries.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys like it.

Take note a "modern' radio may fully turn itself ON every time it gets power. Then, to turn it off requires an "action" = small PITA. It bugs me that my radio demands an action when I just wanna leave a key in the ign.

To turn it 'OFF" I have to locate the little "OFF" button and devote a couple seconds to holding it down.

All my other new cars don't let me store the key in the ign ….. but the Vanagon was a respite from that. Vanagon got "updated" ……grumble grumble.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this mod work on the earlier vans too?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Will this mod work on the earlier vans too?

Yes. I think it should work. If it was me, I'd measure Amp draw of what's going to connect to this grey/black wire and would fuse the wire; it's #18 or possibly #20. That said, my guess is that the OP's application uses low Amps or milliamperes.

Double check, but that grey/black wire on my '81 goes to the seat belt buzzer. The other end terminates at "Su" of ignition switch. (key insert switch)

Not a new idea I'm sure, but I've often thought that using the Su contact would be great with a retro fitted Mk3 delayed light. i.e. pull the key, dome light goes on for a while. I assume a relay would have to be installed, but I digress.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: