Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Conditioner for under $100
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Air Conditioner for under $100 Reply with quote

I tested my ICESTER Air Conditioner today. I used a small bilge pump to circulate ice water through a heater core and a 6” fan to circulate air through the heater core. I started the cooler in the garage; the air in the car was 85° F, the air coming out of the cooler was 49° F. I started driving with the outside air temp at 95° F; it took about 10 min. to get down to 70° F inside the car. Two blocks of ice, 16 pounds each, should slow down the melt time to about an hour. I’m designing an air deflector to direct the cold air away from the driver and a thermostat to control the fan and pump.

Wayne

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teufeltito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. i was just suggesting to my girl that i build one of those for her bug last saturday when we went on our poker run with a number of other bug owners. good job sir! keep us posted.

1973 standard: 1600cc, og stocker

1966 standard: incomplete volksrod w/ 2187cc

1972 transporter: incomplete slightly lowered

“A car is never too low, it’s the ground that is too high.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhunes29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to put that in the luggage compartment?
sammyphsyco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using straight water? I wonder if automotive coolant, or some other liquid might be more efficient for this.

Tinted windows and Dynamat Xtreme, or the Second Skin equivalent would help as well. I imagine that a well sealed passenger compartment helps alot also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knocking your airconditioner.
But concider that the typical airconditioner for a small car is rated at about 3 tons of refrigeration capacity. That is equivalant to about 250 lb of ice per hour.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw something similar built from a salvaged marine reverse cycle Heat/AC unit. The right sized cooler will fit perfectly behind the rear seat but the gut told me the exchange water heated up fairly quickly.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teufeltito wrote:
wow. i was just suggesting to my girl that i build one of those for her bug last saturday when we went on our poker run with a number of other bug owners. good job sir! keep us posted.

but where will you sit? Laughing
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Icester Reply with quote

Rhunes29 wrote:
Are you going to put that in the luggage compartment?

This was a test to evaluate the performance, which was great. A standard cooler could be placed in the back seat. A cooler could be constructed to fit in the luggage compartment or in the spare tire area. I would mount the cooler core over the passenger’s feet.

The Icester works as well as any other air conditioner, except you do not vent the heat outside. The heat is transferred into cold water by drawing the heat through a heater core on the top of the Icester. The water lines run from the heater core into the Ice Chest. The Icester is capable of cooling so efficiently that it uses about 20 pounds of ice per hour. Keep the heat outside and enjoy the cooled air inside without drilling holes or opening windows.

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne S. Johnson on Sat May 17, 2008 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
teufeltito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
teufeltito wrote:

but where will you sit? Laughing

in my bug!!

1973 standard: 1600cc, og stocker

1966 standard: incomplete volksrod w/ 2187cc

1972 transporter: incomplete slightly lowered

“A car is never too low, it’s the ground that is too high.”
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try dry ice.
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep dry ice,, go with the old steel colman cooler,, it will hold the ice longer ,,, use a coil of pex tubing in the bottom ... run the line out near the top yep still in the side,, then go to a flex line of some type ( rubber) to the cooling unit.. of course having some type filler ,, doing this it's a sealed system and can use any fulid you choose.... 151 Rum gets nice n cold...LOL

This way the cooler can be in the back,, still used as acooler ( Beer) the cooling unit would be remote and can be moved
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdagg wrote:
Try dry ice.

The earths atmosphere is 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and only 0.035% Carbon Dioxide. If the concentration of carbon dioxide (The Chemical Composition of Dry Ice) in the air rises above 0.5%, carbon dioxide can become dangerous. Smaller concentrations can cause quicker breathing; larger concentrations will prevent breathing all together! If Dry Ice has been in a closed auto, van, room, or walk-in, for more than 10 minutes, you will start to pant, breathe quickly and your fingernails or lips start to turn blue. This is the sign that you have breathed in too much CO2 and not enough oxygen. Dry Ice CO2 is heavier than air and will accumulate in low spaces.
FreddiePete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, you are brilliant, if you ever want to sell any prototypes put me on the list!
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not under $100 but.....

http://www.swampy.net/iceuse.html

or this:

http://www.kooleraire.com/FAQ.htm

John

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: