Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to go for diagnostics?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Where to go for diagnostics? Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to this whole wrenching thing and I'm frequently running into diagnostic checks that I'd like performed but I'm not sure how to go about getting them done correctly for cheap. For example, I'm currently replacing my fuel lines and it would be quite nice to have my injectors tested and a pressure test on my work but I'm not sure where to turn. I'd also love a compression test on my engine. I tried calling the FLAPS yesterday but none of them do that kind of testing - they just do batteries and alternators. I'm sure I could just get a shop to do it for me but I don't have a shop that I like close by. So, is there some generic place that you guys take your vans when you need diagnostics performed? Are all of you just setup to do the diagnostics yourselves? Is it expensive to get setup to do them? Should I just find a shop I like and get them to do this stuff for me? Thanks for any help.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be cheaper, and better for you to get the tools and learn to do it yourself. They are not that expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7838-Professional-Pressure-Tester/dp/B0009XQUKC/ref=pd_sim_auto_img_4
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7828-Professional-C...auto_img_b

At least you will know that the job was done carefully and the cost of the tools will pay for itself after one test.
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you get the new-found option of being a roadside hero, either for yourself or for others. No better way to meet a nice girl than to get her car running; or to impress one you already have...

The tests are relatively easy, the tools are relatively inexpensive, so why pay someone else to do it? Why be on someone else's schedule? You can do it, because I was like you 3 years ago, and now I can do it. I'm not special, so that says all you need is a little money, a little time, a little patience.

Best,

Lanval
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: