Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Pre- J-shaped accelerator pivot point Reply with quote

Any pictures of pre-J shaped accelerator pivot bracket ?? I have a Dec.18,1962 kombi..(1963) I am looking for the correct way to link accelerator cable to pivot bracket.. My 63--67 Bentley only shows mounting with the J bracket.. Thanks, Bob King,63,EZ, Long Beach. Ca..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre- J-shaped accelerator pivot point Reply with quote

rking6 wrote:
Any pictures of pre-J shaped accelerator pivot bracket ?? I have a Dec.18,1962 kombi..(1963) I am looking for the correct way to link accelerator cable to pivot bracket.. My 63--67 Bentley only shows mounting with the J bracket.. Thanks, Bob King,63,EZ, Long Beach. Ca..

This is earlier in the thread
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Ignore spring)

But a 12/62 Bus should have the J-bracket pictured in this thread and the cable should be hooked right into the L-bracket.
Example:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everett,, I saw that one earlier... My bracket starts off like the J-bracket then just ends ,,does not bend around like the J-bracket,. I bought my Bus in 1969,second owner, I don't think it was ever broken..Mine has the part with the spot welds still there then a perfect right angle, at the bottom, Does not look broken.. Thanks again.. Bob King.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rking6 wrote:
Thanks Everett,, I saw that one earlier... My bracket starts off like the J-bracket then just ends ,,does not bend around like the J-bracket,. I bought my Bus in 1969,second owner, I don't think it was ever broken..Mine has the part with the spot welds still there then a perfect right angle, at the bottom, Does not look broken.. Thanks again.. Bob King.

Can you post a photo? I am having a hard time picturing that in my head.
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try later,, got Mothers Day things going on now.. Thanks for all of your input.. Thanks again. Bob King
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ell: L with one hole.
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this shows up OK.. Thanks Bob King ,63 ,EZ, Long Baech, Ca
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did one two days ago. Here is a link to WW...this what you need:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211798001

It's tough to tell in the picture but the whole piece is wrong. It looks like a home made "L" bracket.

The rod that attaches to the gas pedal on one end and to the "L" bracket underneath. The rod looks like this..... http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211721615

The rod is held on with a spring on each end (pedal and hole in "L") with springs only.... http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211259283

The elbow of the "L" is held on with a pin.... http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N132421

The other end of the "L" is where the throttle cable attaches. Judging by your cable it just attaches in the hole of the "L" bracket.

In the 2 pics the Ev posted. The above one is for an earlier bus and the 2nd is for a later. Look on page two of this thread, 1/2 way down. Ev posted a picture of his 61. See the "J" shaped bracket???....your bus doesn't have that. Broke off maybe??

I can't tell in your picture where exactly the "pivot point/elbow" is attached. It appears that someone drilled a hole to attach
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rking6 wrote:

I hope this shows up OK.. Thanks Bob King ,63 ,EZ, Long Baech, Ca

My opinion is that your J-bracket is either hacked or broken off.

The part that is left looks original because it has the same spots welds as an original.
Example from earlier in this thread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:

Note this photo has not been updated - WW now sells the parts that correctly match original Bus parts. No double hole on the cable side and so on.
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
jeffff wrote:

Note this photo has not been updated - WW now sells the parts that correctly match original Bus parts. No double hole on the cable side and so on.

I actually ordered my kit from Cip, it came with 1 hole. I ordered a new pedal too and it had had a WW stamp on it.....I guess it is safe to assume that Cip gets the odd part from WW.
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...did we decide that on the '67s the bracket goes INSIDE the "J", as shown in the Bentley manual, or did we decide the manual was wrong?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any reason why a '67 would be different so... on the outside.

I checked my pics of past Buses and the only '67 I had had a pedal pan on it so no dice there but my '66 had it on the outside and it lined up perfectly.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a photo in the 1959 Transporter Workshop manual, so it would be correct for at least thru 1959 or '60.

And here is an illustration of how VW suggested that dealerships keep the accelerator cable from tangling/rubbing on the tranny. The mechanics could bend up a stiff wire as shown and feed the accelerator cable trough it. From the same Workshop manual...

I hope this helps someone out there.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Everett, I've got a problem. My spring has broken off in the base. Is the little channel that it lives in open at both ends? Should I be able to push the remains of the spring from the front of the bus towards the seats or do I need to pull it out the way it goes in? The problem is that there is nothing to grab onto to pull it out. I've tried creating a tool to push it from the front to no avail.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

I saw your post and your neat tool but I do not know the answer.
I have never replaced that spring myself without a complete replacement of the floor bracket.

I suspect it gets "welded" to the floor from rust on a lot of Buses.

I think I have seen campingbox say he has replaced it while in place, maybe he can comment.

I was surprised that you were able to knock the pin out with a couple hammer smacks. I think those are usually frozen too.
I wanted to replace the pedal spring my Double Cab (it's actually still free moving) but when I tap the pin a little, I feel like it's going to break the bracket off the floor.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I think I have seen campingbox say he has replaced it while in place, maybe he can comment.

I was surprised that you were able to knock the pin out with a couple hammer smacks. I think those are usually frozen too.
I wanted to replace the pedal spring my Double Cab (it's actually still free moving) but when I tap the pin a little, I feel like it's going to break the bracket off the floor.

Okay thanks! I'd had been spraying the pin everyday couple of days with PB Blaster for at least a couple of weeks before trying to knock it out.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

If you keep soaking it and lightly tap on the bracket I bet that if your tool is thin enough you will get that bad boy out going at it like you have pictured.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I ended up using a punch to name the floor go down and away from the hinge. This made enough to get my custom tool in there and pull the remnants of the spring!
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal linkage - parts and installation Reply with quote

Is the push rod from pedal to lever straight or does it have a bend in it at all other than the two 90deg at either end ?

Also is/does the lever under the bus have a 90deg 'V' shape to it or or are some less/more of and an angle ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: