Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1991 Carat Weekender needs shifter HELP!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stepdadmaterial
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: New to me 1991 Carat Weekender needs shifter HELP! Reply with quote

Hi all! Before sharing my week long headache, a little background on the newest member of my family.

Last July, after much searching on and off, I found a deal that was not going to be passed up.
In my presence was a 1991 Carat weekender in pastel white (L90D) with 169,XXX original miles, minimal body damage and a missing rear fiberglass bumper. Since then I’ve gone through and done the foremost upgrades a ‘new to you’ van should receive; fuel lines, tank reseal, brakes. Following those it’s been a slow and steady progress to getting the box rolling just the way I want (joys of being a full time student and worker). Very much looking forward to share more photos and build progress once I get a separate thread written up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On to my issue at hand.
Recently there was an incident where I mistakenly let someone with no VW driving experience (found out after the fact) attempt to drive my rig. Instead of pushing the shifter lever down and to the left for reverse, the driver though it was just straight over and upward, and with so much force ended up breaking loose the nuts holding down the shift lever bearing base rendering the shifter semi useless and sloppy to hell and back. After tightening them back down and the base in position as stated in the Bentley, my nightmare began.
Once placing the bearing base in place along with the 23mm space between the right side rail and shifter tab, I’d effectively lost 1st and 2nd gear while driving.
After using the search function and trying out various methods stated to realigning the shifter tabs within the box below, I made an improvement getting into second but, now first is fully disappeared along with reverse.
As a result of this whole saga my clutch most likely is now making a whining sort of whistle sound when the clutch pedal is pressed downward.
Could this be my clutch (still original) that I’ve now burnt/abused because of the constant looking for 2nd? Or perhaps a separate internal transmission component?

Reason why I ask about the clutch instead of dialing in the shifter first is because after a few more attempts I could not get it to it’s original smooth buttery state. My local shop here in Sacramento will be helping with that this week.

I’ve replaced the shifter bearing and housing as well as clutch master/ slave cylinders prior to this happening

Thank you all who took the time to read this wall of text! Cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: