Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring interior, gotta couple of Q's
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Restoring interior, gotta couple of Q's Reply with quote

First, what are the plastic "shields" over the heater tubes for? Just to hold on the mylar film? Do I really need to reuse these with that film? I can't imagine that really does anything for insulation (assuming that's what it's for).
Second thing - the upholstery nails that were used to secure the carpet in corners. Is this common? Should I attempt to do the same when I put the new carpet in or will heavy-duty glue be fine alone?

I don't know what kind of glue they used at the factory but that stuff is effing superhuman! You could hold up a freakin' bridge with that stuff. My elbow is actually sore from pulling it out! Shocked
Oh, car is a '68. Thanks!
Torkman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic shields are good to use if you have them. I decided not to use them. I bought a roll of that aluminum, rolled insulation from HD and wrapped the heater Ys and used a couple of large ties to keep the insulation on. Looks great and keeps the hot Ys from heating things up under your rear seat.

As for the carpet tacks...no I would not try to go that way. Just use contact cement. Get at least a quart (or two). Apply it to the place the carpet goes and also to the underside of the carpet. Let it dry to the touch (about 10 minutes or so). The very carefully put the carpet into place. Once the two glued sections meet, they will forever be bonded. (You can actually remove them if you make a mistake, but you will just need to do it very carefully as not to tear anything and you would need to apply more glue.)

This glue method is super strong...just like the factory. NO NEED FOR TACKS.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: