Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet Install
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepwillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Carpet Install Reply with quote

I just finished putting down some B-quiet in my Westy and I am wondering what people use to help keep the carpet down. This is the carpet that covers the front of the van - floor, wheel wells, seat boxes, etc.
There was only a small bit of the original black gunk that kept it down before, so I need something new/different.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Dave
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the wheelwell covers on my '85 I used 3M spray adhesive (contact cement). The upper edge of the flooring carpet is supposed to clip in to some little buttons that are stuck on the sheet metal. You could probably glue them back on if they're missing, or come up with a similar arrangement using screws.
rsfeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: use a glue gun... Reply with quote

one of those cheap hobby ones, no need to deal with stickly glues. That way if you don't like the alignment or anything a quick tug and it comes up. You peal the cold glue stick off and re-apply. did my two westies this way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jeepwillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"one of those cheap hobby ones"??

Sorry what type of glue is this? Like the stuff you get with a model airplane?

Dave
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was confused by the previous post too... RSFeller put "use a glue gun..." in the subject line, I believe it refers to a hot glue gun. Not my first choice, but it would work and you could tack it down in strategic places with a dab of glue rather than gluing a whole section.
rsfeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: yes I met hot glue gun... Reply with quote

I forgot one word and creates a world of confusion. Don't knock one until you have tried it. YOu can select different types of glue sticks that all have different melt points. they give some very good results if used correctly and allow for you to make mistakes and try again w/o leaving anything tacky behind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 3M Spray Adhesive when I first installed my carpet kit, but found that it didn't "take" well. So I bought some double stick, heavy-duty carpet tape (used for area rugs and such), and found it to work great!

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: carpet tape Reply with quote

i used two sided carpet tape works great just like its designed
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Wurth spray adhesive that they sell at GoWesty and I was really happy with it.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, when I was restoring my Porsche 912, a pro-carpet guy told me "...horizontal will stay down man, you don't need to glue it..."

Makes sense.

I just use a little 3M adhesive spray on any vertical surfaces. Clean the metal well, spray a thin sheen over it, spray the back of the carpet. Wait 10-20 seconds, then place it where you want it and put a little pressure behind it.

It should stay, and stay for a good long time.

Remember, just a little adhesive is enough!
jeepwillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I went with the double sided carpet tape and it seems to be doing the trick!

Dave
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: yes I met hot glue gun... Reply with quote

rsfeller wrote:
I forgot one word and creates a world of confusion. Don't knock one until you have tried it. YOu can select different types of glue sticks that all have different melt points. they give some very good results if used correctly and allow for you to make mistakes and try again w/o leaving anything tacky behind.

No one's knocking anything. It's just a little confusion, because you did something hardly anyone does here: began your post in the subject line. See anyone else doing it? Nearly no one does, because the subject is the subject of the thread, so who needs a new subject for their response? Msinabottle is the only other regular poster I can think of who does this, so I know to look there when he posts. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not often done so no one looks there at all. No harm, no foul, but now hopefully you understand the odd reactions to what seemed like a non-sequitur.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsfeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you point is valid, the fault was mine as the interface was misleading. It really should not have the ability to change the subject or at least be filled in. The fact it was blank made me want to put something there!

I am a newer poster to this list as I'm burned out on vanagon.com. I also manage a few boards myself for other projects.

Usually on software if the Subject field is available for comment it is pre-populated with the original title (as you state)...but this is not, so I figured it was to be filled out as many do on this board:

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-5/index.html

It works well there for quick answers in a treaded view.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it could work anywhere, it could be the entire response, even, if people read it, but it just seems like it doesn't get used much here. That's just the culture, I guess.

I never look there myself, unless the post seems like a non sequitur. I think, either this person is loony (we get ours, that's for sure!), or I'm missing something, so I look more closely to see what's up.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
rsfeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first post I had I figured if I left it blank "I" was doing something wrong!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: