Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes Rims Reply with quote

Jason condie wrote:
I'm an idiot...

Admission is the first step toward recovery!

There are six factory Mercedes wheels like those that all look very similar to each other and all have different sizes and offsets. You would need to ask the seller to look for the size and offset information on the backside of the wheel to determine which of these wheels you have. Once you determine the size and ET (offset), I can tell you if they are the correct size to fit your van properly and then figure out what it will take to get them installed.

I can tell you that none of these wheels will be a direct bolt-on and all will require at the least - front spacers, longer front wheel bolts, longer rear wheel studs and possibly rear spacers and different lug nuts. Most of these wheels would also require the lug holes to be drilled out to a larger size as well. This is something that can easily be done with a hand-held electric drill.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will either of these work?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/1228987325.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/1231296424.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Golf wheels won't because they are 5x100. The Eurovan wheels could be made to work, but they have a really high offset which would require a set of really thick spacers/adapters. If the Eurovan wheels were to be used on a 2wd, the centerbores of the wheels would have to be enlarged to fit over the grease cap, even with the thick spacers.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these on Ebay, and while I'm not sure how solid they'd be, they bring up an interesting question--

http://tinyurl.com/km2k6k

What would the downside be to adapting the 5x112 bolt pattern to 5x4.5?

Wouldn't that open up a whole world of additional (not to mention very inexpensive) wheel options?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper adapters (not those triple bolt patterned ones shown above. SCARY!!!) are a great way to fit wheels if the conditions are right.

There are a few issues to consider when using adapters to run various wheels. I will try to explain them the best that I can without making a book out of this.

Offset is the most important because adapter thicknesses need to be much greater than spacers in order to have enough strength. We can build spacers as thin as 15mm in certain circumstances, but the wheels involved have to have a relief on the backside large enough to accommodate the vehicle's protruding wheel hardware.

The stock rear studs on a Vanagon protrude 23.4mm from the mounting surface. I have special custom lug nuts that can be mounted flush with the surface of a 20mm adapter. That still leaves 3.4mm protruding past the mounting surface of the adapter. Unless the wheels that will be mounted to the adapter have a relief in the backside that will accommodate the protruding stud, or you are willing to cut the studs down slightly, the thinnest adapter that can be bolted to the rear of a Vanagon, that keeps the studs flush with the mounting surface of the adapter, would be 23,4mm thick. Let's just call it 24mm to make it easy.
That takes care of the explanations concerning rear adapters.

For the front, we can build a spacer as thin as 20mm and still have the head of the custom thin head lug bolts (provided with the purchase of a set of adapters)flush with the surface. We can go down to a 15mm thick adapter for the front as well, but the same clearance requirements are necessary on the backside of the wheel as described above.

Since the front offset of a 2wd Vanagon is so much more difficult/critical than the rear, let's use the front as an example and we will use the 20mm thick adapter as our baseline since we know that the clearance on the backside of the wheel won't come into play.

With a 20mm adapter thickness and a goal of having a 30mm final offset, the wheel that gets bolted to the adapter will have to have a 50mm, or greater, offset in order to achieve that goal.

Now we move on to the bolt pattern issue. Having a five bolt pattern is essential to achieving the ultimate strength in the adapter. There are companies who build adapters to go from 5 to four bolt patterns and vice versa, but we won't do it.

5x4½ (5x114.3) is a good choice because the bolt pattern is fairly close to the Vanagon's 5x112. However, just about any five bolt patterned wheel could be used. Again, the offset of the given wheel come into play over and above the bolt pattern.

Many of the 5x½ (5x114.3) wheels use 12mm (or ½") wheel hardware (bolts or studs). All of our adapters are designed to be used with studs. However, I am not a big fan of using 12mm wheel hardware on Vanagons. IF the adapters could be made hubcentric, we would consider building a set of adapters for use on a Vanagon with 12mm wheel studs. Without being hubcentric, there is NO WAY I would consider a set of adapters with 12mm hardware to be safe. In a non-hubcentric situation, a 12mm wheel stud or lug bolt is just not strong enough considering the weight of the Vanagon.

That brings up the centerbore issue. In order to create a strong enough hubcentric lip on the adapter as well as being large enough to clear the lip on the grease cap, the centerbore of the wheel being considered needs to be at least 64mm. While many of the potentially proper, for this adapter situation, wheels do have a centerbore large enough to accommodate this, some do not. Just keep it in mind when shopping for wheels.

I think that covers just about all of the key points to keep in mind when considering the use of adapters.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how thin can a 5 x 130 adapter be ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
how thin can a 5 x 130 adapter be ?

Assuming that we are talking about Porsche wheels, most (maybe all) factory Porsche wheels have a nice recess in the backside of the hub area that allows any protruding lugs to have a place to go. Therefore, 15mm is as thin as you can go. The aftermarket Porsche wheels that I have experience with do not have this recess. In that case (without modifications to the wheels of course), the minimum adapter thickness would be 20mm for the front and 24mm for the rear.

If we are talking about a non-Porsche 5x130, without being able to analyze the backside of the wheel, I really don't know how thin they could be, but the adapters could obviously be as thin as 20mm for the front and 24mm for the rear.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dimensions are:
Front: 16 x 7 / 23mm offset
Rear: 16 x 8 / 11mm offset
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about 2007 VW Rabbit OEM rims?

All that I know is this
-195/65/15. 5
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17x8 ET 13....way outside the fender lip I think ? Mad

the chart says it's good
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michaeltyler/tee3/Whe...t_Data.htm

but is ET 17 is bad 13 must be worse.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Post, would anyone have a picture of what a "clearanced, or Modified" controller arm looks like? Do you just grind, or belt sand the outer edge of the ball joint area to add space for tre clearance?

Thanks
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
the dimensions are:
Front: 16 x 7 / 23mm offset
Rear: 16 x 8 / 11mm offset

Crankey wrote:
17x8 ET 13....way outside the fender lip I think ? Mad

the chart says it's good
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michaeltyler/tee3/Whe...t_Data.htm

but is ET 17 is bad 13 must be worse.

Not sure if you have found a different set of wheels or where the 17x8s came from, but yeah, the offset is all screwed up on all of those mentioned.

For the 16x7 ET23 wheels, the 15mm adapter would create an effective offset of 8mm and the wheels would stick out of the front fender wells. THe 16x8 ET11 wheels would end up with a -4mm offset.

17x8 ET13 would definitely be sticking out of the fender wells.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:

All that I know is this
-195/65/15. 5

Without knowing the complete wheel dimensions including the offset, it's impossible to know what you are facing. At a minimum, you would need to enlarge the wheel centerbores to fit.

blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
blakeck2 wrote:

All that I know is this
-195/65/15. 5

Without knowing the complete wheel dimensions including the offset, it's impossible to know what you are facing. At a minimum, you would need to enlarge the wheel centerbores to fit.

5x112?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
loogy wrote:
blakeck2 wrote:

All that I know is this
-195/65/15. 5

5x112?

Yes, the 2007 Rabbit wheels are 5x112 and we know that they are 15" wheels by the tires that are on them (which are more than likely not usable on a Vanagon), but we still need to know how wide they are and what the offset is. It is also very helpful to know exactly which style this wheel is as well, because certain styles of wheels fit better than other when it comes to the center caps.

tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice job on this post, you've answered every question I had. Thank You
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
blakeck2 wrote:
loogy wrote:
blakeck2 wrote:

All that I know is this
-195/65/15. 5

5x112?

Yes, the 2007 Rabbit wheels are 5x112 and we know that they are 15" wheels by the tires that are on them (which are more than likely not usable on a Vanagon), but we still need to know how wide they are and what the offset is. It is also very helpful to know exactly which style this wheel is as well, because certain styles of wheels fit better than other when it comes to the center caps.

How do I find that out?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All OE VW/AUDI wheels (that I know of) will have the size and offset (ET) cast into them somewhere on the wheel. Sometimes the information is on the front side of the wheel near the lugs, but it could also be on the back side of the wheel. There should also be a part number which could be helpful. If you want to post a picture of the wheel, I may have it cataloged in my reference folder along with hundreds of other wheels.

isotopez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a set of the 16'' steel wheels that tire rack carried before a "certain shop" bought most of the supply. I saw this asked somewhere else but could not find an answer, but does anyone know who manufactures those rims.. I'm looking for another source as tirerack no longer shows they carry them and the shop is "sold out of black". Confused

A bit frustrating. Supply and demand I suppose, what would the world be like without capitalism.. haha....
albiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Mercedes S430 ET 47 wheels Reply with quote

I'm looking at wheels from a Mercedes S430 (7-spoke) as follows:

-7 spoke wheel
-ET 47
-16" x 7.5
-Come with Michelin MXV4 225-60-16 tires with 70% tread; max load rating is 1521.

I know I'd need spacers; I'm looking at Chris's post from long ago, and I would think that in order to bring the ET to 28-30, I need spacer of 17mm, at least in front? Would this work?

I'm also assuming I'd need new bolts, etc.

Given the total cost involved for hardware, what does it make sense to spend for these tires and wheels, as opposed to just biting the bullet and ordering 15 inch rheins with Nokians from Van Cafe?

Thanks for your ideas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 29

Jump to: