Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlittles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Newbie here! Just purchased 1987 tin top and looking to upgrade wheels. Found a set of these on craigslist and wanted to know if they would fit? Wheels are 15x7 Audi A4 7 spoke. Looked them up and it looks like dimensions are 5x112 with ET39. Part number is 8E0 601 025 Z17. I know I will have to bore centers out. Wanted to know if offset would work without spacers?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

dlittles wrote:
Newbie here! Just purchased 1987 tin top and looking to upgrade wheels. Found a set of these on craigslist and wanted to know if they would fit? Wheels are 15x7 Audi A4 7 spoke. Looked them up and it looks like dimensions are 5x112 with ET39. Part number is 8E0 601 025 Z17. I know I will have to bore centers out. Wanted to know if offset would work without spacers?

Assuming you have a 2wd, spacers are required on the front. Optional on the rear, but strongly recommended to even out the track width and create a much better appearance.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
dlittles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Yes it is a 2wd. How thick of a spacer would you recommend at the minimum? And would I need to get longer lug bolts? Thanks for the quick response.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

dlittles wrote:
Yes it is a 2wd. How thick of a spacer would you recommend at the minimum? And would I need to get longer lug bolts? Thanks for the quick response.

I would run 10mm spacers on the front. Rear spacer thickness would depend on the tire size you choose.
You will definitely need new small ball seat (not large ball) lug bolts for the front and new small ball seat lug nuts for the rear. The stock Vanagon large ball seat lug nuts do not fit those wheels properly. If you run the rear without spacers, you can use the stock Vanagon rear studs. If you add rear spacers, you will need longer studs.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
doodledave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

First of all let me say thanks for this post and the part1 post it has been amazing to read/learn all this stuff and this community is incredible.

I have recently purchased an '87 2WD and one of the early things on the list is new tires/wheels. Tires are very old and need replacing so figure also do the wheels.

This is a pair i am considering:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/d/mercedes-16-wheels-and/6476612765.html

Tire size - 225/55R16
Wheel size - 7.5Jx16 ET42
Bolt pattern - 5x112

From what I've learned, this should work with a 12mm spacer front/back, correct?

Thanks again for this site and this thread and this community I am so psyched to learn and give back however a noob like me can.
bivouac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Hello everybody~
I rarely post on here, maybe never actually... But I need some help please! Hopefully you can hook me up with some info. Being a total voyeur I know you guys have sweet setups and I am pretty sure someone is running this setup.

My ‘87 Syncro is getting a makeover and I am trying to get a set of shoes that with work with my BMS Big Brake Kit. I have some Mefro 15x7 that I was hoping to use, the don’t work... Will the infamous CLK 16’s with a et37 clear those huge rotors? Or what Wheels will bolt on and clear with out using spacers, or is there just such a wheel?

Will probably run 215/70/16 or 225?

Thanks in advance for info on this issue!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

i have a syncro with bms front brake kit and clks clear.
jbmbenjamin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

bivouac,
If you want really expert advice, contact Christopher at T3techniques. I can’t tell you how great his assistance was to me when I installed 16x7.5; ET 51 MB wheels on my 83 camper. He even had some great tire suggestions that I paid particular attention to. Can’t tell you the difference in the ride and handling. No qualms now about asking my wife to drive the van and just not have to worry about that part of the Vanagon.
Hope this helps. I’ll be posting pictures and a lot more detail soon of my tire/wheel/spacer/conversion studs/extended studs changes to our camper.
John
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Ok I guess I will be more clear.

I have a syncro westy
Bms front big disc
Bms rear disc
The clk mentioned
215 65 16 ko2

Plenty of clearance on discs and everything else. No spacers. Just different lug nuts I got from t3. There is a dedicated clk thread. There are pictures of my setup and a lot of others.
bivouac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Thanks fellas for the feedback! I will be talking to Christopher for sure. Thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Hi I'm considering a second set of wheels for winter, and I've fallen down the rabbit hole (it's deep down here, send snacks!)

I did a search and had not seen these previously mentioned. Vision Cross 426 7.0 x 16", ET38, 5x112, bore of 73.1mm, load rating of 1800 lbs. Best of all, they are cheaper than steelies!

https://www.performanceplustire.com/buy-wheels-online/vision-wheels/cross-426-fwd-gunmetal-rim/

http://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/30531/426-cross/

Love the color, but not sure how I feel about the classic BBS sport look on a syncro.
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Hi,

Trying to determine if I need pacers for my tires. These are Mercedes 16x7 with a 31ET. I know the wheels won't rub but I'm not sure about the tires rubbing on the inner wheel well.

I went with Nokian Entyre 225/60 16 tires. So before I buy new conversion studs for the front and new studs for the rear I'd like to know if anyone can help me to determine if I need spacers.

Thanks for the help in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Vision Cross 426 7.0 x 16", ET38, 5x112, bore of 73.1mm, load rating of 1800 lbs. Best of all, they are cheaper than steelies!

Yes, you can bolt those onto a Syncro, but you need a set of "tunner lugs" to bolt them on with because the lug hole pockets are super small.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

felixbobcat wrote:
Hi,

Trying to determine if I need pacers for my tires. These are Mercedes 16x7 with a 31ET. I know the wheels won't rub but I'm not sure about the tires rubbing on the inner wheel well.

You do not need spacers to mount those wheels. For a 2wd, all you need is a set of small ball seat front lug bolts, new rear studs, and small ball seat rear lug nuts. You will also have to drill the lug holes out to 37/64". The Mercedes center caps usually fit fine on the rear but not on the front.

felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
felixbobcat wrote:
Hi,

You do not need spacers to mount those wheels. For a 2wd, all you need is a set of small ball seat front lug bolts, new rear studs, and small ball seat rear lug nuts. You will also have to drill the lug holes out to 37/64". The Mercedes center caps usually fit fine on the rear but not on the front.

Thanks! I forgot to say that these are going on a 2wd Westy. I think I'm going to replace the front bolts with conversion bolts. I like the idea of having all the wheels having the same system. Bolts up front and nuts on the rear just doesn't compute with me.

Thanks for your wealth of knowledge and sharing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Bolts up front and lugs in the back didn’t compute with me, either. Had an old MB with bolts all around and it was awful to try and get the bolt holes lined up when replacing a wheel. You’ll be glad you have the conversion bolts. I’ve got them with 20mm spacers and I’m Really Glad I have them.
John
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

felixbobcat wrote:

Thanks! I forgot to say that these are going on a 2wd Westy. I think I'm going to replace the front bolts with conversion bolts. I like the idea of having all the wheels having the same system. Bolts up front and nuts on the rear just doesn't compute with me.

Yeah, conversion studs on the front are nice. Just be sure that you don't use the cheap ones. They don't have enough thread purchase in the hub and will eventually pull out and take the threads with them. They just aren't safe for use on a Vanagon.

rosszip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

First post woohoo! I just recently acquired a 1984 2wd Vanagon GL (previously owned a 1972 T2 Westy tin-top) with stock 14" steelies. One of the first things I would like to do is upgrade the wheels and tires. I found a nice set of 15" Mercedes wheels on craigslist for cheap, I have been reading a lot and believe that in order to make these fit I may need small spacers up front and to drill out the lug holes for 14mm. Anyway, the rims are stamped 6.5Jx15 H2 ET37 and the person selling them says they are off of a 1985 Mercedes 300SD. Any advice is appreciated so I know what I am getting myself into. Thanks much

Here's a picture for good measure:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Rosszip,
Get in touch with T3, see the post above yours. He helped me with my Mercedes wheels that I now have on my 83.5 Westy camper. Couldn’t have done it without him. They look great but more importantly make the van handle well. Also ask him about the urethane bushings. Couldn’t believe what a difference those made. Highly recommend him.
John
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

I see you’re in Vermont, I am about 25 minutes away from where those wheels are listed. I saw them but just purchased a set of Audi A4 wheels for the Multivan and decided to pass. Glad they might make it on a Vanagon. Let me know if you need any help with them

Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: