Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

christiancarpenter42 wrote:
Wow!! so much information here. I made it to about page 6 and figured it would be faster to just ask you experts. I'm looking at a set of Merecedes 7.5x17 with a backspacing of ET56 (I see 30-36 works but would I need 20-25 spacers to bring these out?) for my 1985 tintop. Stock suspension. the tires are 235/65/17s. Lugs look to be the same according to Wheel-Size.com and the center is 66.6 so that should work as well as the 5x112 bolt pattern. The wheels will be significantly larger and my speedo will be about 12 mph off at 70 but it already runs 5 mph fast so off by 7 won't hurt my feelings. Will these fit without rubbing? Thanks.

Why the tall tire with the larger wheel ? If you go shorter sidewall you'll be closer to stock overall rolling diameter/ hight, get handling benefit of less sidewall flex and squish. Less chance of rubbing stuff in the wheel well too.

You probably need spacers for a 30et wheel but maybe not a 36 et.
Plus the converting to studs up front, long ones, and longer studs on the rear..
Tell Chris Schimke what your wheel numbers are when you order parts from him he will know what you need and have the best quality parts to get the wheels fitting and have good tire recommendations for your purposes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
christiancarpenter42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

[/quote]Why the tall tire with the larger wheel ? If you go shorter sidewall you'll be closer to stock overall rolling diameter/ hight, get handling benefit of less sidewall flex and squish. Less chance of rubbing stuff in the wheel well too.

Plus the converting to studs up front, long ones, and longer studs on the rear..
Tell Chris Schimke what your wheel numbers are when you order parts from him he will know what you need and have the best quality parts to get the wheels fitting and have good tire recommendations for your purposes.[/quote]

The tires will be replaced for a set of lower profile at some point as finances allow but I can get a decent deal on the wheels locally so I'm mainly concerned with if the rims themselves will fit without issue. The offset is 56 on the 17x7.5 wheels and that is my main concern.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Remember, the larger the wheel diameter, the fewer options on narrower tread choices. The more tread on the road, the less mileage you will get per gallon and the greater likelihood of aquaplaning in a severe rain storm. Remember that stock T3s came out with 185 and 195 tire widths. There was a reason. I went to 16" wheels and found there are only a couple of questionable choices less than 205 which I find too wide for my relatively light weight van/bus. If I were to do it again, I would have stayed stock at 14 or gone only to 15" diameter wheels.

And where are you going to carry the spare? I had to modify the clamshell to get the 205's in and doubt that anything wider could fit under there at all. I'm sure others have done it, but I'll bet it's not easy. With my 205s, I sometimes have to drive up on 2 x 6 blocks to be able to slide the tire in under the bumper. I know some like the off road look with them hanging off the back and that's OK, but not for me as it complicates the hatch opening every time for a use that may happen only once every two or three years.

Duncan
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

christiancarpenter42 wrote:
Why the tall tire with the larger wheel ? If you go shorter sidewall you'll be closer to stock overall rolling diameter/ hight, get handling benefit of less sidewall flex and squish. Less chance of rubbing stuff in the wheel well too.

Tell Chris Schimke what your wheel numbers are when you order parts from him he will know what you need and have the best quality parts to get the wheels fitting and have good tire recommendations for your purposes.[/quote]

The tires will be replaced for a set of lower profile at some point as finances allow but I can get a decent deal on the wheels locally so I'm mainly concerned with if the rims themselves will fit without issue. The offset is 56 on the 17x7.5 wheels and that is my main concern.[/quote]

With an offset like that you'll probably need bolt on spacers that have their own studs on them. You may have seen the diagram of clearance for a 17". The top arm is aligned with the rim edge. You'll probably want an 1/8" or so clearence for peace of mind but I've driven with under 1/16" there without any issues, daily on crappy streets.

Some wheel repair shops can shave a little off the inner lips like a 1/16" and it's not going to affect the tire seating or fitting. It didn't for me on a 3 piece BBS anyway that was 17x8.
Cost on larger bolt on spacers is about the same as pcd change adapter so...it's expensive. But hey if the wheels are super cool then maybe it's worth it.
I think I had 225/50/17 on those and I never scraped suspension, or rubbed tire on anything in the wheel well. Road feel was still good for comfort, better for stability /corner lean etc.
I have 55/17 tires now and I do feel more lean in a corner and I don't like it so much.
Weight rating on these tire sizes is usually on the low end of acceptable by the numbers but then they are 2020 and newer tire technology, Michelin sport pilot a/s will take a hard pot hole edge and not get damaged at about 20 mph. I also ran some runflat tires and those were really tough tires too. But I never carry 1000lbs of camping gear or go off roads other than a gravel driveway.

With these wider tire sizes, I haven't noticed any hydroplaning. I go with all season with a lot of water exit groove. I don't need to do much freeway driving and when I do, 1/2 the time is bumper to bumper @ 20 mph creeping along. But that's all just my experience.
I have thought, visiting construction sites that I get more nails or usually screws in my tires, 2x a year maybe ? But I've never had to use my spare. Fix a flat once and directly to the tire shop...but only once since 2005 or so and mostly daily driving. Other times the screw itself plugged the hole till I got to the tire shop for repairs. But again, my experience, street driving in a fairly dense city where a tire shop is usually within 4-8 miles away at most.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
platinumzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Hi, First time poster, long time reader Wink LOVE this place!

so I'm in the market for new rims for my Daisy (1990 that i scored on the CHEAP!)

i have a guy offering me 5x112 Mercedes rims. 7.5Jx17H2 ET37 stamped on them.

Any input as to if these will work for me with relative ease/expense? (spacers required?, extra hardware etc?)

the van didnt cost much so i have some $$ to spend on it, but the exhaust i just put on it cost more than the van did!!

thanks for any info
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

platinumzombie wrote:
Hi, First time poster, long time reader Wink LOVE this place!

so I'm in the market for new rims for my Daisy (1990 that i scored on the CHEAP!)

i have a guy offering me 5x112 Mercedes rims. 7.5Jx17H2 ET37 stamped on them.

Any input as to if these will work for me with relative ease/expense? (spacers required?, extra hardware etc?)

the van didnt cost much so i have some $$ to spend on it, but the exhaust i just put on it cost more than the van did!!

thanks for any info

Those are all good numbers , if they're steel you might be ok as is. Ally may require longer studs. I think you need 7-8 turn on the nuts or studs minimum.
Call or write T3 technique with your specs and he can set you up no problem.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Be prepared that you will have a limited choice of tires for 17" rims. Most will have a very wide tread. Getting the load range in that size may be a challenge. I'll defer to others on this, but don't assume all is right with the world when you start getting far from stock. I have 16" rims and could only find a singe offering at 205 with the load range the T3 requires. Anything wider than 205 is difficult to put in even a heavily modified clamshell spare carrier.

Duncan
platinumzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

i was looking at NORDMAN SOLSTICE 205/50R17 they have load index of 93 load range XT
will those do?
or if i go to MICHELIN CROSS CLIMATE 2 205/55R17 they go load index 95V
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

platinumzombie wrote:

or if i go to MICHELIN CROSS CLIMATE 2 205/55R17 they go load index 95V

I've got the 225/50/17 CrossClimate 2 on my van and they've been good to me for the few months I've had them. They're XL load rated with load index of 98. My van also happens to be one of the lighter combinations out there though.
platinumzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

Kumho Solus 4S HA32 All Weather Tire 215/55R17 hits 98 and is XL and so does the HA31, plus the price is decent and they are all weather which my wife insists on!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

platinumzombie wrote:
Kumho Solus 4S HA32 All Weather Tire 215/55R17 hits 98 and is XL and so does the HA31, plus the price is decent and they are all weather which my wife insists on!

Hi
Any feedback on the HA32?
danbeerpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wheel Post - Part Two Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:
New shoes on my 81 AC. very pleased with the look. Rims are ET37 with 10mm spacers all around. These tires are 205-55R16 but I have a new set of 215-55R16 that will ultimately be mounted as these current tires are not a high enough load rating for a Westy. It does ride nice and dispite the wider tire the steering seems easier when stopped. I also did a 3/4" spring spacer on the rear which lifted me up about an inch! I was very happy when all 4 center caps fit ok, I think the 10mm spacers did the trick for that!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

relpying 8 years later... i think i've found a set of these same wheels on marketplace, waiting for the seller to tell me the specs, but based on your pic they look the same. they look great on yours! was it only spacers that you needed?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Jump to:
Page 29 of 29

Jump to: