Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
get it from here in Germany https://www.werk-4.com/vw-t2-westfalia/
Some others try to bend it themselves... my first attempt looked terrible and took too much time Embarassed

R-S B, thank you for the link to the 2 stage engine lid prop. I am planning to get the Fiamma rack back in action next summer now that my paint job and interior refresh is finally done. I now have a new rear hatch seal, so hopefully the water ingress issue will be less.
Also, thanks for the inspiring Africa pics, was this in Morocco?

Just a regular guy
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

get it from here in Germany https://www.werk-4.com/vw-t2-westfalia/
Some others try to bend it themselves... my first attempt looked terrible and took too much time Embarassed
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

I love the two-stage decklid prop. How did you make it look so professional? Smile
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

Hello,

In the end a heavy load of bikes is only mounted on the tailgate, which was never designed for something like that...
The vanagon T3 tailgate hinge is designed differently with less clearance as the bay window T2.
With 3 or more bikes and also with e-bikes, I would prefer to use a bike carrier on a more solid trailer hitch - or an attached rear balcony like many campers with motorbikes use.

With 2 light bicycles it has been working for me while traveling for over a decade now.
At heavy rain I need to use since some years some tape at the top of the tailgate mounts because of aging seals.
I also have a special engine flap spring with 2 detents - so it stays open also at a smaller angle even with bikes mounted - this was not possible with the standard spring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

trip to Africa...

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chgochris2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

So there is an option for a third bike on the VANAGON model, but not the T2 model? Is that correct?
Has anyone figured out a way to adapt the vanagon 3rd bike rail to the T2model? Thanks in advance!
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

Just finished mounting our new fiamma bike rack. This is the second one we have had. Apparently now they come with black end caps and knobs instead of red.
I noticed a lot of people asking for suggestions on paint protection.
I used a thicker clear paint protection film available on ebay and amazon under all areas that would be touched by the rack.
They give you rubber pads for the top.
I used a 100% rubber baseboard strip available at Home Depot for the bottom mounts,only cost $2.00

1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

The leaking hasn’t been an issue for me. For the most part I just use the rack in the summer when it hardly rains here. On the occasional times it does rain on me with the rack on, it doesn’t really leak enough for me to do anything about it. It might leak a bit when it really rains but I guess I just haven’t noticed it. I use the rack on two 71 westys with the original seals still in place.
I switch it between the buses a few times a year depending on which one we take. I also have them stored under cover when I’m home and maybe why I don’t notice the leaking.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
pierrox wrote:
Just assembled mine, it installed yet. Are the pieces of adhesive film enough to protect the paint? Was wondering if I should use some rubber from some bicycle inner tubes I have in the garage or would it be overkill.

I have been using some rubber bike tube and also a piece of soft cloth where the rack rests on the door. The rack will rub on the paint a bit still and you can see it when I take the rack off. It’s tolerable and still the best rack for the bus in my opinion.
I would not want to put more than two bikes on it even if it had an option for more. But I use it for two Mt bikes and works great. Very Happy

What have you done for the leaks around the top brackets when it rains? Other than put a towel near the hatch to sop up the water? We have some bad luck with leaks through the top of the seal when the rack is installed.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:
Just assembled mine, it installed yet. Are the pieces of adhesive film enough to protect the paint? Was wondering if I should use some rubber from some bicycle inner tubes I have in the garage or would it be overkill.

I have been using some rubber bike tube and also a piece of soft cloth where the rack rests on the door. The rack will rub on the paint a bit still and you can see it when I take the rack off. It’s tolerable and still the best rack for the bus in my opinion.
I would not want to put more than two bikes on it even if it had an option for more. But I use it for two Mt bikes and works great. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
lewis71bug wrote:
poptop tom wrote:
lewis71bug wrote:
Is there a fiamma bike rack that fits the t2 bay that will hold 3 or 4 bikes?

The rack built for the type 2 has an adapter for a 3rd bike.
http://www.busdepot.com/j11508

I'm not knowledgeable at all about the fiamma products, but the page you linked to says that's for the Vanagon bike carrier. Will it work on the t2 version (not sure what all of the differences are).

I have one of these racks and think it's great. There are a shed load of Fiamma rack accessories for sale here in the UK for the T2, including supplementary rails for carrying not just three, but up to four bikes apparently! I haven't purchased any of those myself (yet) so cant say how effective they are, see here:

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-accessories-tools/bike-racks.html

While this thread is up here I want to note that this carrier will not support any more than two bikes. Evil or Very Mad
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:

It’s probably not necessary. But I put strips of electrical tape on the back of the
bracket that touches paint. Because it made me feel good Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

neena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack Reply with quote

I was reading through this thread and saw that several others have had issues with the rack leaking through the hatch seal at the top mounting brackets. Several people offered suggestions as to how they were going to try to stop the leaks but no one posted if their ideas worked.

Is there a definitive way to stop the leaks?

I'm a week into a 6+ week road trip. It has rained twice and both times the stuff stored closest to the hatch gets wet, so I'd like to fix this quickly!

'70 Riviera. 1600 SP with 30 PICT 3 carburetor, 205M distributor, stock muffler

@chaseyessi on Instagram
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiamma Bike Rack Reply with quote

Got my Fiamma mounted up for a trip to Gearhart this weekend with the wifey. It's been sleeping in the garage attic for a few years.

I forgot how great this rack is, although the rear hatch seal historically leaks a little in the rain. Nice and light and easy to mount and use.
Just carrying two vintage AD-Puch road bikes, nothing too big or heavy.

Just a regular guy
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for following up.
Tcash
marcusdrives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm replying here to finish my original thread regarding the twisted long arm because the original thread has been locked. I spoke with Bus Depot, and to my surprise the arm does twist at the crimped end. It took quite a bit of force to get it to move - so much so that I was afraid something might break. It didn't break, and now the rack is as it should be.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Fiamma Bike Rack arms are twisted wrong Reply with quote

Fiamma Bike Rack arms are twisted wrong
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Fiamma Bike Rack Dealers? Reply with quote

Fiamma Bike Rack Dealers?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Bicycle Cover for use with the Fiamma Bike rack Reply with quote

Bicycle Cover for use with the Fiamma Bike rack
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Fiamma Bike Rack opinions Reply with quote

Fiamma Bike Rack opinions
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: