Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 Exhaust Support Brackets
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: 1.9 Exhaust Support Brackets Reply with quote

I have had my exhaust off so long waiting for the new one, I have forgotten how to put them back in the right places. The Bentley is not very clear on the 1.9 ltr. Not one picture. Anyone have a good clear picture of the exhaust support brackets on a 1.9 engine?
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one has any handy, I can snap some for you later today.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etka has a good diagram of the 1.9's support rods placement, as well as page 26.7 of the Bentley.

However, there are two rods that are pretty close in length on the R/H side, and the L/h side, so it'll be a fit to match set up once your down under for these two rods.
wareiter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be great. I have an '85 that was apart for a long time and could only figure out the strap that goes around the muffler. I put the S&S exhaust on and the CIP1 test pipe from muffler to pipes. Maryland is 20 years for historic registration if it is an occasional driver.
http://waterboxer.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh!!!!! Terry is right...26.7 in the Bentley. Saw "diesel heading" and skipped over it. Appears from looking at page I am missing one bracket on each side. I'll take Bentley out and have a closer look and try to figure out which ones I am missing. I noticed Terry has some for sale on his site. Question is...the strap/clamp that goes around muffler? is shown in Bentley under the tailpipe...is this where it goes...under tailpipe?
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the part nos. handy, one of my brackets broke and would like to get another one.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithwwalker wrote:
Does anyone have the part nos. handy, one of my brackets broke and would like to get another one.

I would doubt that they are still available. Wouldn't hurt to ask though. I made new ones for my 84. Just took a piece of pipe (3/8?) and flattened the ends with a sledge and then drilled the holes and bent as needed.
justcairns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also made a few support brackets. I think I used electrical conduit, cut to length, compressed the ends in the vise and drilled holes on each end. Been there for several years now!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Question is...the strap/clamp that goes around muffler? is shown in Bentley under the tailpipe...is this where it goes...under tailpipe?>>

Nope--

That is a real bad picture in the Bentley, and yep--mis marked as a oil burner exhaust system.

Look at the upper muffler saddle ( above the tail pipe), then go under the tail pipe where the lower muffler strap is pictured.
That is it---
And it is no longer available from VW parts.

If your looking for an 1.9 lower muffler strap they are listed here at the samba.com Vanagon parts section.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Fri May 30, 2008 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<Does anyone have the part nos. handy, one of my brackets broke and would like to get another one>>>

I have the part number's for all of the exhaust bracket's.
( The one's that are still available anyway--there are 2 of them that are NLA, and have no parts number any longer)

You'll find all of the exhaust hanger rods listed here at the samba.com Vanagon parts section.

The NLA ones are listed but in short supply.

The rods that are in short supply are the R/H rod that has the 90 bend in it--and is NLA.

The other is the Z bend one on the R/H side that supports the two other rods above the muffler strap--and also NLA.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Fri May 30, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< I made new ones for my 84. Just took a piece of pipe (3/8?) and flattened the ends with a sledge and then drilled the holes and bent as needed.>>

Not a bad idea.
Heck of lot heavier than conduit, and will last longer under the Van.

A torch woud have helped a bit getting the ends & bends with a little finese.-- ~ 8 )-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: