Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire wheel and suspension thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

ET 55 will set the Wheel back so more clearance at the front (guard edge)
Use this link to work it out.
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the help rickpereira. So I'd be better off with a 2" narrowed with ET55 than?? If YOU went with a 4"... That would give you an inch more clearance, but even less turning radius??

Ugh! About to purchase a beam... But every time I read up on it, I get even more nervous about limiting my options.
rickpereira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

yes less turning radius because the 7in wide wheels would foul on the inside. its a big balancing act..

start off with standard beam, narrow 2in, add drop spindles.. end up almost back where, you started.. see where im going? its sometimes is trial and error and then trying to work around what you want
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Thanks rickpereira... Have Empi drop spindles already. Those push out 1/4" from stock I believe. After looking at your rim, I again question my choice in rims. LOL! So indecisive.

Your brakes are stock with X-drilled 5X130 disks?? Looks great by the way.

All in all, are you pleased with the results of your front end? Would you have gone narrower on the beam if you could go back and do it all over again?
rickpereira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

thanks man, yes the brakes are stock replacements. i wouldn't change a thing about it, it turns well, doesn't rub and handles great. i wouldn't have gone narrower either, i like that the wheel doesn't tuck in too much. just enough to give it the clearance it needs.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Thanks again. Glad to hear it. Will start off with rotor and rim, make measurements and go from there. Hopefully, the short axle swap I just did in the rear will house whichever rim I choose without issue... But we all know that isn't certain either. Confused
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
ET 55 will set the Wheel back so more clearance at the front (guard edge)
Use this link to work it out.
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Thanks alansvwTwinCab. That link will come in handy for sure.
onezero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hi
My buddy just bought a '73 Sports Ghia and wants to swap out the 4.5 x15 sport rims with the Sports bug 5.5 x 15 (26 mm ET rims.

Will that work on a stock '73 Ghia depending on the tires you put on them?

Not sure how that works with the disc brake set up.

Any advice is appreciated.

Shawn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hi Guys;

Any experience installing Empi GT-5 (15x5.5 inch, 4" backspace +20 offset) in a stock Ghia 1958?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Best.
rachawitw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Gents,

Would a 15" x 5", 2.5" BS wheels fit under the rear for a 1967? Thanks.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorrock wrote:
All Stock:

Amen brother. Looks awesome.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Could I get some opinions on the ride height / stance of my Ghia? It's a 66 and the PO put a 1600 dual-port in it. In my opinion, it rides low in the rear but I'm wondering if it also rides too high in the front. The goal here is stock.

i know the ghia is supposed to have a 6" ride height. where is this measured from? the frame, pans, nose and tail, etc.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Concur, It's too high in front AND too low in back. Not that you asked...but the black rims and cal rubber are not stock either.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

yes ok good. so how can i get a correct measurement by which to adjust the front and rear height? preferably, something that isn't dependent on if fenders have been changed or bumper is shifted up/down, etc. maybe the 4 corners of the floorpans? or front beam and bottom of engine?

also, the cal rubber is the PO's fault. it'll be changed soon.
and the wheels are black because the ghia paint codes archive material said so.
Wheel disc, rim L 41 black

did i misunderstand the archive data?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

The rear spring plates can be adjusted to get it back to stock height. Does the front have an adjustable beam?
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

i was thinking about whether it was adjustable. i realized i don't know how to tell the difference. it looks stock to me.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

ok i just went outside and checked. what i saw vs what all the adjustable beams look like online, i would say definitely not. no adjustability in my beam.

PO put gas shocks all around and disc brakes on the front but they are stock spindles.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Look at the pic above your first post to see what stock should look like.
You're gonna need to make adjustments front and rear. Rear is as easy as stated, springplate adjustment. Note what type of shocks are back there too. The front, you need to see if the gas shocks are causing this. Oil shock, which are what was originally used are neutral and will not affect height. Plenty of people have been running gas shocks without your rising issue for decades so it may just be the PO choice of shock. You shouldnt need an adjustable beam to get down to stock height.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

@c21darrel - Ha! I was going to say that last night. I'm missing something subtle I guess. Can you explain please? I see the beauty rings. But what else are you talking about?

As for the shocks it's gas adjust for all four. I'll pull the shocks off of the front and see if it sits any lower. That'll let me know if the shocks are causing it. I mean to get oil shocks all around soon. As for the rears, I'll most likely need to do the torsion bar adjustment.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I also have a feeling when the PO put the 1600 engine in there he didn't adjust for the difference in weight between that and the 1300.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 30

Jump to: