Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire wheel and suspension thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the shocks it's gas adjust for all four. I'll pull the shocks off of the front and see if it sits any lower. That'll let me know if the shocks are causing it. I mean to get oil shocks all around soon. As for the rears, I'll most likely need to do the torsion bar adjustment.

The most common gas shocks are KYB, they dont cause front rise unless they are the wrong part. If you have some other type of adjustable gas shock, that could be your issue.
Above I said "easy" when referring to the springplate adjustment. I should not have phrased it that way. It can actually be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing so use care whenever playing with anything under severe load.
As far as rim color ( i didnt check the paint page in technical section) back of my mind said silver, perhaps thinking of the silver beauty ring.

Quote:
I also have a feeling when the PO put the 1600 engine in there he didn't adjust for the difference in weight between that and the 1300.

Probably not your issue, unless they used an alum case weight difference will be very slight.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hello again Ghia section! I have recently been changing my opinion of how I would like to have my Ghia stanced. All I am looking for now a days is a front end lowered an inch or two and stock rear (sagging). I am sick of bottoming out on bumpy parts of the road. Along with my current dropped spindles, I plan to install adjusters on the stock width beam (with all/most of the adjustment for raising from current height.

I am also looking to fit some new wheels on the car. From all the Ghia's I could find, the best looking aftermarket look of a Ghia that I have ever seen (imho) is the sliver Ghia below. That Ghia has the perfect stance and is what I am looking to stance my Ghia like. I might be willing to do a .5 - 1.5" narrow beam, but I have no want to attempt to narrow my rear IRS axles... Too much of a hassle.

PS - other than the 5lug sprintstars that are on the Ghia in the below picture, what are some equally good looking, deep, 4lug rims?

Any input can help

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Since my other thread was closed down, I'm still looking for ⅞ or full rear shots of 165-215 width tires, here's a couple examples of the types of pics (since I haven't seen many like this) I'm looking for to gauge what style/width of tire/rim to plan on - especially since rim width and tire cross section can change the look of a tire:

⅞ style:

Full rear shot:

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Mine are 185/60/R15. Photos are not specifically of the tyres but will give you at least some indication of appearance.

Nicholas
356 TY 86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

When i have a little 66 KG, i use an American Racing Mag wheels in 6x15, and 185/65/15 tyres....!
I sold my KG...... Crying or Very sad
JLC

kg66cot by jean-luc criado, sur Flickr
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I run 135/15's and 165/15's on my 62. The wheels are 5x205 Fooshes from Cip. The front is narrowed 2", dropped spindles, adjustable drop plates in the back.

I'm going to try one more time to go 17"s when I get the courage again. I've bought 2 sets of wheels and neither of them would work without more narrowing on the front beam.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Just purchased a 2" narrowed adjustable beam and air ride through rods from Fabshop104... He's a month behind on orders. Hope to have it by the end of next month. Will post some screenshots during the process of the conversion.

mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

so im just finishing up my pan off 60 ghia resto. the car came with chrome steelies in 5.5R and 4.5F. tires that are on it are 205/60/15. they are minimum 13 yrs old (how long this car has taken to rebuild-started by previous owner and finished by me)

i lowered the rear a couple splines and have stock width adjustable front beam dropped to the lowest. rear tires are tight and 205s should probably never be on a 4.5" in front--but do clear OK it appears, but i have not test ridden the car yet

I ordered some 5" x 15 radars and will be here this week. i am thinking 195/60/15 R and 185/60/15 front. anyone see an issues?

or should i got 195/65/15R. afraid it might get close to the fender being bigger diameter than the 205/60/15 which is already close on the back fender. and i prefer not to go lower profile than a 60 on the front--so kind of stuck there

thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

mblotz wrote:
so im just finishing up my pan off 60 ghia resto. the car came with chrome steelies in 5.5R and 4.5F. tires that are on it are 205/60/15. they are minimum 13 yrs old (how long this car has taken to rebuild-started by previous owner and finished by me)

i lowered the rear a couple splines and have stock width adjustable front beam dropped to the lowest. rear tires are tight and 205s should probably never be on a 4.5" in front--but do clear OK it appears, but i have not test ridden the car yet

I ordered some 5" x 15 radars and will be here this week. i am thinking 195/60/15 R and 185/60/15 front. anyone see an issues?

or should i got 195/65/15R. afraid it might get close to the fender being bigger diameter than the 205/60/15 which is already close on the back fender. and i prefer not to go lower profile than a 60 on the front--so kind of stuck there

thoughts?

On a 15 x 5" rim, you may wish to consider 185/65R15 for both front and rear.
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

[/quote]
On a 15 x 5" rim, you may wish to consider 185/65R15 for both front and rear.[/quote]

hmm--i was so hung up on running staggered tire sizes, never even really occurred to me. more research ensue's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowlightmafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Trying to put a 1969 circuit racer ghia together and been reading through these posts trying to figure out the widest tire I can fit in the rear, without rubbing. So far iv read people fitting 205 and 195 tires on a Fuchs 15*6 for irs. But I think these are done on stock drum brakes. Does any one know if any company makes a rear disc brake kit that doesn’t effect the offset?

I have a build page for my Ghia with more questions any new info is welcome https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608415#8608415
pasprobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

1970 ghia on 17" wheel offset 42 and 4x100, 205 50 17 without rubbing. I love my new ghia..

desmato
Samba Member

Location: Michigan, USA, Earth, Milkyway, Universe,... Bottom of some being's shoe !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Pasprobe, what width are those wheels ?
pasprobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

7.5 inches. I needed to cut the rear bump stop (less than ½ inches) to prevent rubbing.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

You guys and your IRS rear ends.
R32GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Great thread to spend a work lunchtime scrolling through to get wheel and tyre options... thanks for the inspiration!

I'm in the process of looking for size options in the UK of whitewall tyres too.
1993 Mk1 Golf 'Rivage' GTI convertible
2013 New Beetle 70s edition cabriolet
2016 Audi RS3 Nogaro Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

R32GUY wrote:
Great thread to spend a work lunchtime scrolling through to get wheel and tyre options... thanks for the inspiration!

I'm in the process of looking for size options in the UK of whitewall tyres too.

http://www.northhantstyres.com/vintage-tyre-search-final/560-15.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I have a '69 ghia coupe. I have 1" narrowed rear trailing arms and am curious to know how wide of a tire I can fit with Pedrini wheels? Any ghia folks done anything like this?
desmato
Samba Member

Location: Michigan, USA, Earth, Milkyway, Universe,... Bottom of some being's shoe !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

-Tire make and size. Ohtsu (Sumitomo) FP0612 ($55 @ Discount tire)
-Wheel make, size or offset. '72 Marathon
-Spindle drop, beam narrowed dimensions. Who's make? Stock
-spring plate mods and extensions, number of splines down. Who's? 2 spline down ?
-Tubbed, cut torsion, short axle or long axle, swing to IRS, etc.. '69 IRS, stock
-Tie rod flip kits, caster shims, etc. N/A
-Brakes- disc/drum, type 3 drums out back, etc. - what brand used? stock drum/disc
-shocks/no shocks- what brand. Monroe "monroe-matic plus"
-If I ever do this again I would have...........

Duck58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

My 71 with the Sprintstars that have been restored over winter.
Front; 4.5's with 155 F560 Firestone's.
Rear; 5.5's (et26) with 165 F560 Firestone's.

Fit 👌[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: