Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire wheel and suspension thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

TexWalnut wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
I’m running 215/75/15 on a 4.5” wide wheel & plenty of the HBB offroad guys are running 235s on the same wheel. You just have to find an independent, mom-n-pop (or Raul & Julio) type shop willing to take your cash.

Are you running that size tire on a stock Ghia or did you do some mods to the wheel wells?

It was raised. I did have to roll the rear of the rear arches but only because I had installed TypeIII rear drums which pushed the about 1/2” per side.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But all of that suspension, brakes, wheels & tires were transferred to the new beast.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I am back from the first spirited drive with wide tires. As in, 185/65 R15 from Michelin.

Blown away Shocked how much grip they have, and how well a Ghia handles.
HD Swaybar in the front with Sachs shocks, somewhat preloaded Z-Bar in the rear with Gas shocks, and the tires..... wow Shocked Steering effort I don't feel it much worse at all.

I could keep full throttle through many corners, with the rear ever so slightly running wide. One hair of adjustment on the wheel, and it sticks Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I bought Porsche phone dials even before I bought my '71 Ghia because I'm committed to them.

They're the 15x6, 52mm-offset version, meaning their "frontspacing" is about the same as my stock wheels.

Well, I bought adapters to go from VW 4-lug to Porsche 5x130 and there was a problem.

Brand-new Empi adapters that I bought from xxxx vendor are not 5x130. They're more like 5x128. The lugs simply do not make a circle big enough to fit into the Porsche wheels.

I could force them (maybe) but I'd probably strip the threads on the studs. I could file or drill my Porsche wheels' holes so as to match the 5x128. Those are bad ideas.

Has anyone else seen this problem? The guy at xxxx vendor hadn't seen the problem "in 25 years" of doing business.

I'm wondering if the latest batch of Empi adapters is bad or if my wheels are something like 5x132?

Weird, right?

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Adapter are going to push the whole assembly out (not sure how much). You may be better off and eliminate even more issues using Porsche pattern predrilled disc/drums
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I definitely won't use wheel adapters for a few reasons:

1) They push the wheel out too far
2) Seeing how they're made, I'd fear for my life mounting a wheel to one
3) Their bolt circle isn't a legitimate 5x130 (or my wheels aren't)

Considering #3, which is most likely?

1) Porsche made a set of 924S wheels whose bolt-circle was 2 mm too large?
2) Empi's wheel adapters in 2021 are smaller than 5x130 mm?
3) Something else?

Has anyone else seen this problem?

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

As Darrel said, you're better off buying pre-drilled Porsche pattern disc and drums. Plenty of vendors selling them, try Airkewld, pricier than others but you can get a good idea of what's available. I'm sure others can point out other vendors.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
40horsesand6volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hello Samba Folks,

I have a question specific to the narrowed adjustable beams that CB Performance sells. I have a 1963 Karmann Ghia coupe running the original stock 15" x 4.5" steel wheels and 165 R15 tires front and back. The car also has the original beam and stock front suspension set up. I want to use CB Perf. drop spindles and their front disc brake kit # 4192 for wide 5 bolt pattern wheels.

The CB Performance sales rep said that in order to run the 165 R15's up front with the dropped spindles I'd need to use a narrowed beam. So I ordered the narrowed beam, complete with new narrowed torsion leaves and narrowed tie rods, and narrowed sway bar. I put the new beam under the front of the car to check clearances and it appears that the shock towers on the new narrowed beam won't fit because of the inner fender wells. I am not cutting my body.

Has anyone run stock tires and wheels with that disc brake kit and lowered spindles?

Thanks,
-Jim
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I had to trim the inner fender a small bit to fit my beam, but mine is 3 inch narrowed. I was under the impression 2 inch wouldnt need it, maybe a couple hammer taps. This is how much i cut for the beam.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I was under the impression 2 inch wouldn't need it...
No body mods required with a 2" narrowed adjustable beam on my '71 with 195/65 tires on 2L Fuchs: there's no rubbing stop to stop with or without CB drop spindles. Granted, with the stops set as is there's a minor increase in turn radius which I haven't measured, but parallel parking is not an issue and a u-turn on a two-lane road with some shoulder usage is okay by me. I get a smooth ride on decent roads, take corners with just the right amount of understeer that I've found can be altered via an adjustable sway bar, and with two sets of caster shims it runs straight as an arrow. Of course being handmade makes every Ghia a little different, and most owners that stray from the factory correct pedigree have probably experienced a little trial and error... YMMV Cool
pcseminole47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I have a 1970 ghia. 2” narrowed beam with drop spindles and air ride front and rear. Can i run 17-7 wheels front and rear or do i have to use smaller rims on the front. And what tire sizes. And help is appreciated. In new to the ghia world.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

You will probably get the 7 x 17's under the front depending on offset, but you will have a very poor turning circle. I'd be thinking 6's and 195 max for a decent turning circle. At the rear you can just get 7" with 205's under if the wheel offset is just right. you may need to roll the guard at the back, trim the bump stop and use a button head on the front trailing arm bolt.
What offset will the wheels be?
the other problem is these cars are 'handmade' and no 2 bodies are exactly the same, and sometimes a bit different side to side, and a lot have had repairs. Go slowly and measure carefully.
Good luck and let us know your progress.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

pcseminole47 wrote:
I have a 1970 ghia. 2” narrowed beam with drop spindles and air ride front and rear. Can i run 17-7 wheels front and rear or do i have to use smaller rims on the front. And what tire sizes. And help is appreciated. In new to the ghia world.

Hello pcseminole47,

I have a 68 with 2" narrowed beam, drop spindles and 2" drop spring plates in the rear, and air ride front and rear. I have 17X7 all around. You have IRS in the rear correct? I have swing axle. I installed short axles in my rear end to accommodate 17X7's... Although currently running 1/2" spacers in the rear to clear the bump stops when riding on lower settings. I have Accuair E-Level+ for ride management. The fronts will rub in tight turns out of the driveway or parking lot. If I set ride height to max, I am able to turn tightly with no rubbing. Hope this helps.

Fully aired out...

Highest setting for tight cornering...

de-inked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
I run 135/15's and 165/15's on my 62. The wheels are 5x205 Fooshes from Cip. The front is narrowed 2", dropped spindles, adjustable drop plates in the back.

I'm going to try one more time to go 17"s when I get the courage again. I've bought 2 sets of wheels and neither of them would work without more narrowing on the front beam.

Dude - your ride is very very very very sweeeeeeet!
IMO, probably the best looking ghia I've seen for a long while...
great job.
Alppiapina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

-Front: Camac 135/80, Rear: Vredestein Sprint Classic 155/80
-356 copy
-Dropped spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable axle
-1 notch dropped rear
-Caster shims
-Stock brakes
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Alppiapina wrote:

-Front: Camac 135/80, Rear: Vredestein Sprint Classic 155/80
-356 copy
-Dropped spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable axle
-1 notch dropped rear
-Caster shims
-Stock brakes

Love the look😎

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Le Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I was surprised to find out how hard it is to buy a relatively small tire anymore, so since I found something I'm happy with I thought I'd share.

Nokian WR-G4 tires at 175 65 r15
"all weather" and I've used them with no problem since december. These rode hella safer than my pickup with goodyear wranglers in a couple inches snow and they do great in constant 90+ of summer, I've done a few trips on them between 150mi and 700mi and this is my daily driver so I slam on the breaks now and then and they stick to the ground well too.

I think I lost about an inch total of ride height, so these might be nice for the lowered crowd.

stock everything
stock height +worn bushings!
some aftermarket rims, I don't know the dimensions but no adjustment was made
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Hate to be this lazy, but looking for current (2022) tire recommendations: stock, or stock-ish, radials desired. Have recommendations?

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe.
Stock.
Looking for best fitting/closest to stock sized radials on the stock wheels, which are safe, good and will last awhile.

The previous owner had 165/80R15 on it, which if I am reading correctly is an oft-used replacement size.

Advice and suggestions very much appreciated; once a decision is made it's time for use to replace all five tires.
Thanks in advance.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

I like Vredstein or Blockley in either 155R15 or 165R15, both of these have really good grip.
An old fashioned R tyre is an 80 ratio which is correct for our cars.
sometimes the 165R15 is a very tight fit in the spare tyre well, 155R15 is perfect.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Le Borg wrote:

Nokian WR-G4 tires at 175 65 r15

I think I lost about an inch total of ride height, so these might be nice for the lowered crowd.

They are. I've got 175/65 continentals on my car. 2.5" drop spindles on a stock width beam, with no fender rubbing. This pic was before disassembly and metal work. Hopefully nothing changes once I finish reassembly!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tire wheel and suspension thread Reply with quote

Concerning looking for stock-ish for our 1971 Ghia Coupe:

Ian Godfrey wrote:
I like Vredestein or Blockley in either 155R15 or 165R15, both of these have really good grip.
An old fashioned R tyre is an 80 ratio which is correct for our cars.
sometimes the 165R15 is a very tight fit in the spare tyre well, 155R15 is perfect.

Ian, thanks for the advice!
I took a look at both; the Vredestein seemed to have mixed reviews, and the Blockley I was having a hard time finding a reliable source to buy from here in the United States...

What also really helped me though was your size recommendations.

For expediency, I ended up purchasing 5 brand new of the following 155R15:
Coker Tire 56047 - Coker Firestone F560 Tires

I've only driven 23 miles so far on them, but they're great so far, and I can really tell the difference after having been driving on the old dangerous set I that we had from the previous owner.

PLUS the fact that spare easily fits in the trunk?!??! Fantastic!

Before:

During:

After:

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: