Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

She failed emissions...BARELY...help please! UPADATE!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunker108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the tale continues. I tried adjusting it "out" 1/4 turn and the CO was even higher and the HC's spiked. I gave up.

It is now at the shop so hopefully they can get it tuned. I am supposed to have it back later today. I will let you know what the outcome is.
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octane booster and get the engine as hot as you can just before the test.
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
bunker108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: She failed emissions...BARELY...help please! UPDATE! Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay...

Well she passed. Took it to local shop who adjusted it out and got it to pass. The numbers are way different than before. They said the AFM is going bad and they tried to adjust it best they could. SO...now it passed but it barely idles...it is fine when it warms up but struggles to stay running at idle. It idled wonderful and sounded great before the adjustment.

Does this sound like a bad AFM? I am going to start replacing vacuum lines and get a new intake elbow to see if that helps my idle.

What is the best source for an AFM?

This sucks though, ran great failed emissions...runs like crap and passed???
berge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda quirky, is it possible to adjust the idle up just a tad now that she passed?
Prior:
59 Ragtop
66 Barndoor
71 TinTop Westy
69 Karmann Ghia
62 Bus
83.5 Vanagon
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamos wrote:
I got my new (to me) '86 wolfsburg smogged about 3 months ago. It had the typical leaking gas tank seals/grommets/expansion lines. It also had an old gas cap.

The smog place I went (who are awesome, super-nice people...let me know if you need a smog in the bay area and I'll direct you to them) did the fuel pressure test and it failed. They gave me a replacement temporary cap for free so I could pass. After they put it on, it passed no problem.

My van was smogged just before they started this. So it is due next year, I think, again.

What's the magic here? How is the test preformed. If you cap leaks, you need another, OK, fine. Do the pressurize the fuel system via the filler, next? I thought I read the test pressure was higher then the design pressure of the tank system on the Vanagon?

Oh ya, not to thread jack, but did bunker108 get his van smpgged???

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: