Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft end play shim options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Cloyd
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nater wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:
Nater wrote:
Great topic discussion. I am quite sure VW had many such, but the bottom line is they settled on three (3).
Carry on!

Oh my I only run two shims and no o ring and no gasket with no problems Laughing

Gee Terry, did you read that again after you posted it. Do you also hold your pinky out when you drink a beer? Laughing

You bet Nate.........I read and think about the posts "WTF". I run a wedgemated Okrasa crankshaft. You don't get to many chances on any wedgemated crankshaft to try putting shims on and off. You can run three or more shims, but i won't. The oil will flow out of the rear bearing on both sides.

Did you ever get your Hilborn's running? Need any help PM me.
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont get any chance Terry.
LittleMicroCars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft end play shim options Reply with quote

no problem just have the flywheel ground down a little to make spec? L
webebuggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft end play shim options Reply with quote

Known as a " Torrington bearing".......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft end play shim options Reply with quote

So what's the consensus nowadays? I will be running 4 shims in this new build. 3x0.36mm and a 0.34mm to get my 1.5mm endfloat in spec.
QuentinRN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft end play shim options Reply with quote

Interesting; a little repetitive, like the other similar threads about end play, number one thrust bearings (loose or not)

My perspective is from a previous era, the Golden Age of VW engine rebuilding, 1975-1999. So we took apart a lot of engines for the first time. I recall a few engines that had only two shims (quite sure this was the way they left the factory, and no signs of a problem due to that anomaly.) Based on my experience, 2 shims = no problem, 4 shims = no problem
Correct end play at .004-.005” = very important, for many reasons
#1 main tight in case with proper crush = very important!

If it’s loose before or after putting case together, take it apart and have it properly align bored, Thrust cut on at least flywheel side (I like minimum amount to cleanup, then turn bearing flange to match)

Certainly not a bad idea to lap flanges lightly on wet 220 or better yet 400 sandpaper on glass. Original standard width is 27.00mm.

Yes, the 4 scallop depressions on flywheel side of #1 bearing flange do not reach the edge, so oil is forced through all the shims at considerable pressure.

The shims DO get pressure lubed, and if you wet them with oil (or don’t) when setting end play by dial indicator with flywheel on, you can see the difference oil makes, about a thousandths per surface.

BTW - be darn sure not to use up-to-66 / 40hp shims on a later O-ring crank! They will “wallow” like a hula hoop and cut into crank. I’ve seen the cut go all the way to the dowel pins.

My experience? Raising my hand for Roy at MoFoCo. Yes, 2,000+ engine rebuilds, but not in the last 25 years. The 25 years before that. But now I’m back to doing a few in my semi retirement. Having fun too, kids!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft end play shim options Reply with quote

QuentinRN wrote:
Interesting; a little repetitive, like the other similar threads about end play, number one thrust bearings (loose or not)

My perspective is from a previous era, the Golden Age of VW engine rebuilding, 1975-1999. So we took apart a lot of engines for the first time. I recall a few engines that had only two shims (quite sure this was the way they left the factory, and no signs of a problem due to that anomaly.) Based on my experience, 2 shims = no problem, 4 shims = no problem
Correct end play at .004-.005” = very important, for many reasons
#1 main tight in case with proper crush = very important!

If it’s loose before or after putting case together, take it apart and have it properly align bored, Thrust cut on at least flywheel side (I like minimum amount to cleanup, then turn bearing flange to match)

Certainly not a bad idea to lap flanges lightly on wet 220 or better yet 400 sandpaper on glass. Original standard width is 27.00mm.

Yes, the 4 scallop depressions on flywheel side of #1 bearing flange do not reach the edge, so oil is forced through all the shims at considerable pressure.

The shims DO get pressure lubed, and if you wet them with oil (or don’t) when setting end play by dial indicator with flywheel on, you can see the difference oil makes, about a thousandths per surface.

BTW - be darn sure not to use up-to-66 / 40hp shims on a later O-ring crank! They will “wallow” like a hula hoop and cut into crank. I’ve seen the cut go all the way to the dowel pins.

My experience? Raising my hand for Roy at MoFoCo. Yes, 2,000+ engine rebuilds, but not in the last 25 years. The 25 years before that. But now I’m back to doing a few in my semi retirement. Having fun too, kids!

So, are the you the same Quentin as the owner of a long gone VW shop in Lynnwood called Quentin's Enginewerks? A buddy of mine had a 1776 back in the early 1990's that I think was built by that shop. I was mostly broke back then running 40 horse engines with big bore kits. Fast forward a few decades and my most recent engine was purchased from MoFoCo, just a stock 1600 single port.
QuentinRN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft end play shim options Reply with quote

Hi all & Seattle neighbor EVFun
Yeah, that’s me. And speaking of number one bearings and thrust surface, I’m looking for a Topline thrust cutter like in this pic. A yellow pages ad from the 1970s but forget those old phone numbers, new one is on the A-board sign. A
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nd my Bradley GT2 project.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft end play shim options Reply with quote

Your generator needs to be rotated 90° clockwise

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: