Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake lights make 9 pin box click?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Brake lights make 9 pin box click? Reply with quote

I hear a click that I think is coming from the 9 pin box every time I step on my brakes. Only one click. Is it supposed to do this? (Yes, I already did a search.) I just recently had a NOS turn signal switch installed.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it is not.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh, I figured that part out myself. Care to elaborate on what could be wrong?
'60 Single cab
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brake lights make 9 pin box click? Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
I hear a click that I think is coming from the 9 pin box every time I step on my brakes. Only one click. Is it supposed to do this?

is it a NOS SWF or wolfsburg west or other reproduction t-switch? is this the early 67 standard bus or the 66 sundial? both use 9 pin box. will it be at octo?

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOS, not a reproduction. The '66 Sundial. It will be at OCTO. Why?
'60 Single cab
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the brake lights/turn signals/hazards/everything work? If so, then does it really matter that the relay clicks when you step on the brakes? Laughing
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Do the brake lights/turn signals/hazards/everything work? If so, then does it really matter that the relay clicks when you step on the brakes? Laughing

All signals/lights/hazards/everythings work but the left brake light is dimmer than the right. Could that be a clue to anything?
'60 Single cab
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
NOS, not a reproduction. The '66 Sundial. It will hic.nabe at OCTO. Why?

Try to find Bill May if your going. He was a factory trained VW mechanic, and a good man to boot.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
suebug wrote:

Try to find Bill May if your going. He was a factory trained VW mechanic, and a good man to boot.

Is he that old fart with the fuzzy caterpillar on his upper lip who's always at VW shows in that rusty $25 Bus??
--Dan
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does own a $25 bus, no comment on your description of him. Cool
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
TimGud wrote:
suebug wrote:

Is he that old fart with the fuzzy caterpillar on his upper lip who's always at VW shows in that rusty $25 Bus??
--Dan

Yeah, Dan, I think I know that guy! Do you think he would help me?
'60 Single cab
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
Andrew wrote:

All signals/lights/hazards/everythings work but the left brake light is dimmer than the right. Could that be a clue to anything?

A dimmer light could mean a bad ground on that light assembly, wrong bulb, poor connections. Bill can help. Smile
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
suebug wrote:
Andrew wrote:

A dimmer light could mean a bad ground on that light assembly, wrong bulb, poor connections. Bill can help. Smile

Probably half or more of the buses I see have one brake light dimmer than the other. My bet is one taillight getting a better ground than the other.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had at least 3 different 9 pin relays in my '66 since I have had it(7+years as a daily driver). Everyone of them has made a clicking noise when I apply the brake. All are/where original VW parts, 6V system, lights work. It is the same click you hear when you put on your turn signal but it is just one click and not a repeated click. About every bus I know has a dimmer left light. Further for the current to travel through old green wires is often a problem if the wiring is original. I have two grounds on both my tail lights and still the left is dimmer. Is your wiring original and are your tail light housings original?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wanta23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 9 pin has been replaced as well as the turn indicator. Both with WW. My 9 pin clicks continuously unless I turn on the headlights or plug something in to the accessory plug. I've added an additional ground wire but I can't figure it out. I drive with my lights on anyway so it doesn't really bother me too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one percenter wrote:
I have had at least 3 different 9 pin relays in my '66 since I have had it(7+years as a daily driver). Everyone of them has made a clicking noise when I apply the brake. All are/where original VW parts, 6V system, lights work. It is the same click you hear when you put on your turn signal but it is just one click and not a repeated click. About every bus I know has a dimmer left light. Further for the current to travel through old green wires is often a problem if the wiring is original. I have two grounds on both my tail lights and still the left is dimmer. Is your wiring original and are your tail light housings original?

The wiring is original. The tail light housings are original with a separate ground. I'm thinking something is wrong with the turn signal wiring at the 9 pin box because I looked at the diagram and the brake wires disappear into the 9 pin box and go to the turn signal switch. Hmmmmm.
'60 Single cab
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
one percenter wrote:

The wiring is original. The tail light housings are original with a separate ground. I'm thinking something is wrong with the turn signal wiring at the 9 pin box because I looked at the diagram and the brake wires disappear into the 9 pin box and go to the turn signal switch. Hmmmmm.

my concern with the original parts is more in the direction of the dim light problem. Make sure your bulb is fitting snug in the housing. You can pinch the bulb hole with pliers or wrap the bulb in foil. It grounds through the bulb base and a loose bulb wont ground no matter how many ground wires you have.

9 pins are a pain and i have often considered converting to the earlier style. If you have the correct bus wiring diagram for a '66-'67 then use it like a map and as long as what you have looks like what it shows you've got it made. The only thing I have to offer that it wont is that IMO your 9 pin relay will make noise when you push your brake pedal and that's okay.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:

The brake light wiring is supposed to go through the 9 pin relay...
66sunbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine did that in my bug for ever until the 6v 9pin box pooped out it ran on 12v for 9 months. I think it is just a sudden use of power out of the same power supply as the pin box that it makes it slick my turn sigs never blinked when it clicked and every thing all ways functioned as it should
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: